Windows 10: Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

Discus and support Desktop Icons Have Disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well, I did something, but cannot find out what it was I dis or how to rectify it. This AM when starting Windows 10 Home, I had no icons on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craigm, Aug 4, 2015.

1. deshdg Win User

Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

Dear friend ,
    I was experiencing the same problem of disappearing of desktop icons since I upgraded to windows 10 last week but fortunately I got its resolution from some gentleman's post and now I have no problem. Go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > TABLET MODE. Here set both the buttons ie Make windows more touch friendly & Hide icons to ON position. Then slide them both back to OFF setting. Now return to your homescreen and hopefully you will find your matter resolved

deshdg, Oct 5, 2015

2. i just right click on the empty desktop, then randomly create a file
    oh , bling ....
    all those stuff appear suddenly

tks
    gd luck

boboDOTsexy, Oct 9, 2015
  3. MooJooS Win User
    This worked for me, thanks!

MooJooS, Oct 12, 2015
  4. dkrizik27 Win User

This is the only solution that worked -- and immediately! Thank you!

dkrizik27, Oct 31, 2015
  5. The same thing happens to me periodically. Monkey is right when he says that it happens when a second display is used. I have learned that you can fix it by right clicking on the desktop, selecting "sort by" then "name". It will restore your icons back to the first screen!

Meatball Paul, Nov 4, 2015
  6. [/QUOTE] I suffered the same problem. The desktop icons simply disappeared. I stumble upon the solution for me:
    right click on the desktop. Select view from the window and then select Show desktop icons or in the same window select refresh.​ Good Luck

Johnbarrie, Nov 5, 2015
  7. Newbie33 Win User
    Hi, call it beginners luck. My desktop icons disappeared, leaving only the wallpaper. I went to this forum and read action taken.
    Seeing no one had any luck. I went back to File Explorer > Desktop > (everything still there) Clicked on a doc. and Right click mouse to Send to ...Desktop ---Bingo Bango ..everything Came Back. I Hope this HeLPs.

Newbie33, Nov 18, 2015
  8. hughesapc Win User

Yes, this worked for me too

hughesapc, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Airvh Win User
    I had the exact same problem after restarting my computer. I was using my tv as a monitor but unplugged it before restarting. I plugged it back in and it auto-updated the screen and all the icons came back. I then unplugged the tv and its all good again. (although all the icons for my screen had to be placed in their specific spots again.) *Eek

Airvh, Nov 22, 2015
  10. ricka656 Win User
    I have a Lenova Yoga 2 and this morning I was using it to complete an insurance application after I had the insured sign the application I lost my windows icons. Your solution solved the problem. Thank you very much.

ricka656, Nov 24, 2015
  11. kelferg Win User
    It figures mine would be the weird one.
    I noticed all my files and my program icons gone from the desktop on initial installation. But found all my things in my users/myusername file. Great! Not wanting to look everywhere for them in the future I dragged them all to the desktop.

When I got to my computer today, the desktop picture was different, and all the program and file icons were gone again. I looked back in my user profile, nothing. I looked in the "guest" profile, nothing. I can't find my files anywhere. I did a search on the computer for one file name I remembered. Nothing.
    I don't use an external monitor for my laptop, and the "view icons" thing is checked. I unchecked and checked it, just in case. I did the tablet mode and not tablet mode switch. None of it helped.

I know that the files can't have completely been wiped from my computer, right? Is there somewhere I can look to find them? I am not thrilled with this new OS so far...

kelferg, Dec 10, 2015
  12. klhorn Win User
    That worked for me

klhorn, Dec 18, 2015
  13. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

I got the same problem my despot just disappear today. I upgrade to windows 10 when it came out, and customize my desktop months ago, and today when i turn up my pc, a message appear that my desktop was missing. I only have one monitor, i recover my desktop icons looking for then in the users file, but i lost my browser favorites

davetruestory, Dec 21, 2015
  14. stan8 Win User
    I tried the method suggested by deshdg.
    unplugged monitor, flipped machine to tablet , flipped back, clicked on the task view icon and presto all desk top icons re appeared- magic. Note I had previously been using the laptop in tent mode ( HP Specter 360 - great machine) so mabey this had triggered icons dissapearing who knows. anyway no need to do complicated downloads or re installs.
    Thanks to deshdg!
    StanB

stan8, Jan 10, 2016
  15. ABSOLUTE Win User
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I confirm that it is a problem that occur when you have two screens and disconnect one. I tried all you said but in the end I solved it changing the dimension of the "phantom" icons. I set it on big, then medium again and they re-appeared. Hope it will help someone *Smile

ABSOLUTE, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Disappeared

2. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  3. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  4. The icons have disappeared from my desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    The icons have disappeared from my desktop.: All the icons have disappeared from my desktop. How do I get them back ? I am not in tablet mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icons-have-disappeared-from-my-desktop/f167b396-ed0a-4a08-9af5-c97edee10888
  5. Desktop Icons have disappeared

Desktop Icons have disappeared: All of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. The text for the APPs is there and clickable. All programs appear to work. Also in the FILE EXPLORER even when I have the View marked as show Icons larger, medium etc. they do not show. On the desktop itself I also have it...
  6. Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared

Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared: All Desktop Icons & Taskbar Icons have disappeared. Why & how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-taskbar-icons-have-disappeared/77766c8c-93a0-4e51-915c-75eb1d81c959
  7. Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?: Hello everyone, I've been clearing my desktop because it got to a point where it was filled with shortcuts I didn't need and so on. When It came around to deleting the shortcuts I moved all of the shortcuts I didn't want to delete into a folder so I could just delete the...
  8. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  9. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....
  10. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there: i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll...