Windows 10: Desktop Icons have disappeared

Discus and support Desktop Icons have disappeared in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; All of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. The text for the APPs is there and clickable. All programs appear to work. Also in the FILE... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Al Harbord, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Desktop Icons have disappeared

All of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. The text for the APPs is there and clickable. All programs appear to work. Also in the FILE EXPLORER even when I have the View marked as show Icons larger, medium etc. they do not show. On the desktop itself I also have it marked as 'show desktop icons' when I right click the desktop to personalize.

Here is what I have tried so far. I had a restore point created about a week prior to this problem. I ran the restore to that point but it did not resolve the problem. Next from the Command Prompt as Administrator I ran: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth but that did not resolve the problem. Then from the Command Prompt I ran: sfc /scannow which gave me a message that it had found corrupt files and successfully repaired them but again that did not resolve the problem.

I think my next and final step would be to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 but that would also remove all my software with the options to keep my data. Before I resort to this my question is:

Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try to resolve this absolutely ridiculous problem?

Thank you...

:)

Al Harbord, Apr 17, 2020

2. Desktop Icons disappeared

Hi Kinsley,

• Are you referring to the desktop icons?
    • When did the icons disappear? Did you make any changes to the system Settings?

It's possible that your device is in Tablet mode. I suggest you to turn it off and check if the icons appear. To do so, select the
    Action center icon on the taskbar (the little message box next to the date and time), and then select
    Tablet mode to turn it on or off.

Also refer the following thread which discusses about a similar issue.

Windows 10 - Desktop icons disappeared - I may have hit something that is causing my problem

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the status of the issue to continue assisting you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Apr 17, 2020
  4. O0mix0O Win User

Desktop Icons have disappeared

O0mix0O, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icons have disappeared

1. Desktop Icons have disappeared - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons disappeared

2. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  3. Desktop icons have disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons have disappeared: I restarted my laptop and noticed all my desktop icons have disappeared. Theres also this weird shaded panel at the top of my screen which was never there before. When clicking on the shaded panel, it opens one of the files I had on my desktop.Additionally, when I go to my...
  4. The icons have disappeared from my desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    The icons have disappeared from my desktop.: All the icons have disappeared from my desktop. How do I get them back ? I am not in tablet mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icons-have-disappeared-from-my-desktop/f167b396-ed0a-4a08-9af5-c97edee10888
  5. Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared

Desktop & Taskbar Icons have disappeared: All Desktop Icons & Taskbar Icons have disappeared. Why & how do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-taskbar-icons-have-disappeared/77766c8c-93a0-4e51-915c-75eb1d81c959
  6. Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some Of My Desktop Icons Have Disappeared?: Hello everyone, I've been clearing my desktop because it got to a point where it was filled with shortcuts I didn't need and so on. When It came around to deleting the shortcuts I moved all of the shortcuts I didn't want to delete into a folder so I could just delete the...
  7. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  8. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....
  9. Desktop Icons Have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Have Disappeared: Well, I did something, but cannot find out what it was I dis or how to rectify it. This AM when starting Windows 10 Home, I had no icons on the desktop. Using the file explorer>desktop, they are there, so i did not delete them. Somehow I have hidden them from view. The normal...
  10. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there: i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll...