Windows 10: DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY

Discus and support DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I posed this question to the community about one week ago, and have yet to resolve it by performing a system restore. When I log on in the morning, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JeffA Warner, Apr 7, 2020.

1. DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY

I posed this question to the community about one week ago, and have yet to resolve it by performing a system restore. When I log on in the morning, my desktop comes up in its normal order, but none of the icons have their name listed below them. If I right-click one of them, the usual drop down menu with options shows up in a truncated version and totally unusable. If I click to open File Explorer using either the desktop icon or taskbar icon, basically the same thing happens. My only workaround for this has been to restart the PC, which so far has restored the names and the functionality. Even at this point the PC is slow to respond to clicks, although it does improve somewhat as the day goes on. This is a new PC HP that was purchased in late December 2019 and has the latest version 1909 of Win 10, with all updates performed on a regular basis. It has had quirky behavior since day one. I would really appreciate hearing from members of the community about this issue and hopefully get some direction. I also use an older desktop circa 2011 with a Win 10 upgrade that works with no problems so I do not feel like I have a WiFi issue. Thank you, Jeff

:)

JeffA Warner, Apr 7, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Apr 7, 2020
  3. opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Apr 7, 2020
  4. DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY

1. DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY - Similar Threads - DESKTOP ICONS NAMES

2. Icons don't appear on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons don't appear on the desktop: Dear experts,I've just installed win 11.I went through the File Explorer to the Desktop and I see there the file a.docxHowever when I go to the desktop Windows + D I don't see this file. I only see some shorcuts....
  3. Icons don't appear on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons don't appear on the desktop: Dear experts,I've just installed win 11.I went through the File Explorer to the Desktop and I see there the file a.docxHowever when I go to the desktop Windows + D I don't see this file. I only see some shorcuts....
  4. Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...: When you install a new app, or make a new document, sometimes you save to it to the desktop temporarily, or for easy access. However, when you don't need that file, folder, or icon anymore, and you go to delete it through File Explorer (This PC -> Desktop), it doesn't update...
  5. Desktop icons not aligning properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons not aligning properly: Hello, is it possible to adjust desktop icon width? I know you're able to change the height by holding CTRL and scrolling, but I'm trying to reduce the width. It may be easier to explain with an image, so here: [ATTACH] Ever since getting a second monitor, for some reason,...
  6. Desktop Icon's Abbreviating Names

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon's Abbreviating Names: how do I make it so windows will display the full text for my icons? it abbreviates them to two rows, but I would rather it use 3 rows so I can read the whole filename without clicking it. I have tried increasing IconVerticleSpacing to -1600 and CaptionHeight to -600 under...
  7. Icons don't display at their proper scales?

Icons don't display at their proper scales?: So you know the file/program icons on the taskbar, desktop, start menu, or in the file explorer? Ever noticed they don't always display properly? What I mean is, an .ico file contains multiple images at different resolutions so that the icon can be displayed at any scale and...
  8. DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES IN WIN 10

DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES IN WIN 10: I have had this occur twice in the last few days. After log-in, my desktop comes up with its normal appearance. Usual background photo, taskbar in usual configuration, and desktop icons in normal places. However, no names appear below each icon. If I right click one of them...
  9. Desktop icons not showing names

Desktop icons not showing names: My desktop icons are not showing name labels instead they display size, also in opening any folder, I have to always choose the name in the choose details box.[IMG][IMG][IMG]...
  10. DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY: On window 10 on my laptop 75% of my icons are a little white box with dialogue at the bottom of them to say what they are if I enlarge them they are bigger but still a blank icon Micro Soft has suggested I reinstall windows which I did but everything is still the same...