Windows 10: Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

Discus and support Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey, I recently updated my Windows 10 to 20H2. After this, all my desktop icons keep changing position whenever I refresh or restart my laptop. What's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NormanPark, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

Hey, I recently updated my Windows 10 to 20H2. After this, all my desktop icons keep changing position whenever I refresh or restart my laptop. What's the permanent solution to this. I have tried options offered on other Windows' discussion fora without any positive results...Can someone help!

:)

NormanPark, Apr 10, 2021
  2. Argel Obm Win User

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Apr 10, 2021
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

Desktop Icons changing position

Running WIN10 home

Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it?

Thanks

AccessShell, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

1. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Keep

2. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  3. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  4. Desktop Icons changing position

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  5. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  6. Desktop Icons Keep Changing

Desktop Icons Keep Changing: [ATTACH] I don't know how else to describe this ........ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-keep-changing/8636dead-2bab-479e-a7b3-5a4dfff16584
  7. Why the icons don't keep their position on desktop?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why the icons don't keep their position on desktop?!: They just snap to random positions every time after I unplug my secondary monitor and turn on the laptop. I spent some time organizing them yesterday, then it installed a Windows update and then it shut down. This morning when I turned it on the icons went crazy again...
  8. Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution

Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution: Hi! I play a lot of a game called CS:GO. In that game, I use 4:3, which I've set to stretched via the nvidia control panel (I have an nvidia GPU). My desktop resolution is 16:9 1080p. After the 1903 update, every time I exit the game or tab out to another window, my desktop...
  9. Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display

Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display: I am running Window 10 on my laptop. At the office I connect a 2nd display monitor. Whenever I disconnect from that display to work at home, all my icons move position. I have my laptop display set as primary. Is there a way to save the icon positions?...
  10. Lock desktop icons positions?

Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732