Windows 10: Desktop icons location changes

Discus and support Desktop icons location changes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a PC running Windows 10 Professional. Since the last 2-3 days I have observed that my desktop icons arrangement changes after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by greatchap, May 22, 2019.

1. greatchap Win User

Desktop icons location changes

Hello everyone,
    I have a PC running Windows 10 Professional. Since the last 2-3 days I have observed that my desktop icons arrangement changes after I either reboot my PC or take my PC on remote support.

I use teamviewer on my PC and frequently access my PC from home. I have been doing this for a long time and never had problems. A few days ago when I took my PC on remote support I saw desktop icons jumbled up (means one row has only 5 icons next has 10 next has 4 and so on). I thought it must have just happened.

So when I used my pc physically (not through remote support), I arranged the icons and rebooted. After reboot the icons would again jumble up. So I did some google search and tried the following :

1) Deleted iconcache file
    2) Unchecked auto arrange icons
    3) unchecked allow themes to change desktop icons
    4) My screen resolution is OK 1920x1080
    5) Did a scan sfc /scannow - windows found some issues and fixed it. But this problem was not solved

What should I do ?

Regards,
    GR

:)

greatchap, May 22, 2019
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Nick89 Win User
    Program that saves the location of Desktop icons?

Are there any programs that will save the locations of my desktop icons? every time I play a game or my computer goes to sleep they get all f*&^ed up and its pissing me off.

Thanks in advance.

Nick89, May 22, 2019
  4. fenurch Win User

Program that saves the location of Desktop icons?

It would kind of make-sense if in a game you used a lower resolution than your desktop.
    However, the sad news is that I have no idea how to fix it, whether there is a program that saves all your icon locations or why this is happening when your computer goes to sleep.

fenurch, May 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop icons location changes - Similar Threads - Desktop icons location

2. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  3. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  4. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change download location on screen on desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change download location on screen on desktop: [ATTACH] Whenever I download a file from any browser or email, the file is placed directly below the Recycle Bin in the top left. It shifts all other icons down below that instead of putting it in the first available spot located from top to bottom, left to right. Does...
  6. Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations: Each time I boot up, my desktop icon arrangement changes. Sometimes they are lined up in two columns on the left side of the desktop which is the normal default arrangement. Other times they are spread out and spaced far apart in a grid across the entire desktop. When they...
  7. Some of my desktop icons change location upon restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of my desktop icons change location upon restart: Ok, so I just updated my version of Windows 10 to 20h2 a few days ago. Since then however, I have had an odd issue. The icon for "This PC" keeps moving to a different location upon start up. This is the only icon that moves, and I never had this issue before the update. I've...
  8. Desktop icons changed...

Desktop icons changed...: Suddenly, most of my desktop file/folder icons have acquired two opposing blue arrows in the top-right corner of the icon. What does this mean? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changed/dedee99f-72a0-47a7-bb61-d514efd0e8c4
  9. Desktop display...icon location

Desktop display...icon location: I like to separate my icons into categories. However, recently all icons moved to the left side of the screen and I can not change any icon locations. How to I correct this so I can relocate the icon position on the desktop?...
  10. Changing Icons On Desktop

Changing Icons On Desktop: Hello, all. Is there a way to change to icons on the desktop from stock image to something custom, like a picture? If not a picture, then just a different icon? I am mainly thinking of the folders with their generic folder icons. Thanks for the feedback. bug 94787