Windows 10: Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port

Discus and support Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; It started some days ago after I booted on safe mode. Perhaps there is something to do with this as the resolution on safe mode is lower and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RonWolpa, Mar 15, 2019.

1. RonWolpa Win User

Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port

It started some days ago after I booted on safe mode.

Perhaps there is something to do with this as the resolution on safe mode is lower and the icons are rearranged on that mode.

After the 1st normal boot , every time I plug in any device on USB ports (as soon as it is recognized ) the icons layout is altered , ( displaced and surmounted as shown on pict bellow ). Any suggestion to solve this issue ? Thanks

Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port a33e25ed-3dbb-42d4-ac07-b4a2a91f2ece?upload=true.jpg

:)

RonWolpa, Mar 15, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Mar 15, 2019
  3. removing devices from USB ports

Hello Jessen P,

Thank you for your response. My problem is that there is no icon on the taskbar for me to click on to eject rany device from this laptop. I did run the command that someone had suggested and I did get the remove device icon on the taskbar and I did click
    on it and I ejected the hard drive which was plugged into the USB port. Now however, since doing this, that icon is gone now. What happened to the icon that was always there on Windows XP and Windows 8.1 in order to eject devices? Where did it go? I want to
    ask you something. In Settings, under Connected Devices, I did see the hard drive listed there and if I clicked on it, it said remove device. Does this mean that I can use this to eject anything that is in a USB port? Or does it mean that if I click on remove
    device, that the USB port will be permanently deleted? I see in the forum that so many people are having the exact same problem and am wondering why Microsoft isn't addressing it for everyone. I am afraid that I will ruin the USB port on this laptop if I just
    keep pulling out the plug without ejecting it. Please let me know your answer and thanks again.

Loretta

Loretta A. Harnarine, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port

Moving device to different USB port = NIGHTMARE!

Hi all,

Is anyone else having this problem? I have 6 USB 2.0 ports and a 4x Hub plugged into one of them, and if more any device from one USB port to another, Windows thinks I'm plugging in a new device, and needs to go through the whole process of installing both the drivers and the software (in correct order yada yada) EACH time this is done.

I have 4 cables plugged into the 4 main USB ports, and everytime I unplug them all to open the case, I never know which ones went in which one so I whack them all back in, boot up, and have to go through settings them all up again! Its a NIGHTMARE! *Mad Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port :mad:

Examples so far that needed reinstalling when switched USB ports:
    Vimicro Webcam - cannot just choose drivers again, need to reinstall off cd (even though cd recognises drivers are already installed - windows doesn't!!)
    Logitech MX700 mouse - movement of mouse is automatically enabled, but MouseWare software needs to be reinstalled
    Belkin USB 802.11g adapter - Complete and total nightmare, needs fully uninstalling and manually uninstall service before reinstall

The list goes on... I thought USB was plug and play!! Not only is it not plug and play (you need to install drivers/software, then plug in, then install drivers again!), but you can't even swap ports, they are considered by windows to be totally seperate and unconnected devices.

Any opinions/workarounds/advice/flame?

Pinksteady, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port

1. Desktop icons messy every time I plug in any device on USB port - Similar Threads - Desktop icons messy

2. Windows11 Device Manager does not respond to ANT+ USB-m device plugged into USB ports.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11 Device Manager does not respond to ANT+ USB-m device plugged into USB ports.: I have a Levono X64 system laptop running Windows 11. I have a GARMIN USB-m stick which works in my partners laptop also running Windows 11 and also works in my old laptop running Windows 10.When I plug the USB-m stick into either of the 2 available USB-3 slots, the device...
  3. Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port: Windows cannot recognize any device being plugged into the USB port. Doesn't make any difference if it 2.0 or 3.0. I went into device manager and uninstalled Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller-1.10Microsoft, USB Composite Device, USB Root Hub 3.0 rebooted drivers...
  4. Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port

Windows does not recognize devices plugged into the USB port: Windows cannot recognize any device being plugged into the USB port. Doesn't make any difference if it 2.0 or 3.0. I went into device manager and uninstalled Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller-1.10Microsoft, USB Composite Device, USB Root Hub 3.0 rebooted drivers...
  5. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in: I recently updated my computer and ever since then, any USB device no longer works with my laptop. It isn't the port as I'm still able to charge through USB-C and it isn't the devices as they work on other laptops. I've tried uninstalling USB Serial Bus Controllers, changing...
  6. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in: I recently updated my computer and ever since then, any USB device no longer works with my laptop. It isn't the port as I'm still able to charge through USB-C and it isn't the devices as they work on other laptops. I've tried uninstalling USB Serial Bus Controllers, changing...
  7. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Different devices plugged into random usb ports?

Different devices plugged into random usb ports?: if I plug "device A" into "USB 1", and plug "device B" into "USB 2", then disconnect both devices and plug "device B" into "USB 1" there will be a device-driver conflict? Thanks! *Smile 173183
  9. USB Connects then disconnects without any device plugged in/

USB Connects then disconnects without any device plugged in/: Hello, About 3 days ago I started hearing the sound of a USB Device connecting then disconnecting over and over again on my Laptop, even though there are no devices plugged into any of my 3 (total) USB Ports. I tried inserting different devices into the Ports but the sound...
  10. USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports

USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports: So my friend has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10, and he has a strange issue. He has 2 USB ports, both 3.0, and the situation is like this: PORT 1: Mouse and Keyboard work in this port only. Don't work on PORT 2. PORT 2: Scanner and Wacom tablet work in this port. Don't...