Windows 10: Desktop icons misbehaving after Creators Update

Discus and support Desktop icons misbehaving after Creators Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Creators Update (and newer Insider Previews) totally messed up the desktop behavior. Hope someone can give me some clues on how to fix this issue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IgorEisberg, May 18, 2017.

1. Desktop icons misbehaving after Creators Update

The Creators Update (and newer Insider Previews) totally messed up the desktop behavior.
    Hope someone can give me some clues on how to fix this issue. Am I the only one with this?
    I made some illustrations to make it easier to understand:

http://imgur.com/njXo6UX

Imgur
    Imgur

On more rare occasions:
    - When I save a file to the desktop, it doesn't appear as the last icon like it should, instead it pushes all files to the next position (except the first file) and places the newly saved file as the second file on its own behalf.
    - Quite often, when I try to place a file near the edges of the screen, it pushes the file to some arbitrary near position.

:)

IgorEisberg, May 18, 2017
  2. Mavsgram Win User

Time missing from Task Bar

Time missing from Task Bar and desktop icons not normal after updating to Creator.

Mavsgram, May 18, 2017
  3. tgunda Win User
    Desktop icons have started jumping around in Windows 10

In my case the random rearrangement of icons started immediately after the creator's update, too. On experimenting I found, however, that a stable arrangement of icons is possible if the lower left
    part of the desktop is left empty.

tgunda, May 18, 2017
  4. JSheridan Win User

Desktop icons misbehaving after Creators Update

You are not the only one. Since the Creator's Update some icons seem to have a mind of their own. *Smile

JSheridan, May 18, 2017
  5. I think this problem has something to do with this change:
    Now I need to find a way to disable this damn thing...

6. JSheridan Win User
    I use the program desktopOK to keep the icon arrangement the way I want it.

JSheridan, May 18, 2017
  7. I don't need to save their arrangement. The icons aren't moving on their own for me.
    I use my desktop actively, I change arrangement all the time, it just doesn't move them properly anymore... :/

8. khamseen Win User

This issue is driving me mad! When I'm doing any sort of work from home I tend to keep all my files on the desktop for ease until the project is over. Not only can I no longer 'bulk move' icons without them being placed in a completely random order, but every time I add a new icon to the desktop it auto places at the top left of the screen and moves all my other icons out of the way. I thought the "creators" update would make things easier for "creators"... Well as somebody who's trying to be creative, this is very unhelpful.

khamseen, Jul 5, 2017
  9. Meh screw Creators Update and all further Insider Previews!
    They can't fix something they had needlessly broken. There are tons of bugs in anything released after Anniversary Update (like FTP connectivity issues through File Browser, making me use a dedicated FTP client just to copy some stuff off my phone wirelessly).
    I just went back to Anniversary Update. Was a hassle but at least everything works properly again, including the desktop icons.

IgorEisberg, Jul 5, 2017
  10. JSheridan Win User
    Between the messed up icons, the blurry fonts and other problems I had to revert more than 1 of our computers back to the Anniversary Update. I don't know how or why MS screwed this 'Creator's Update' up so badly.

JSheridan, Jul 5, 2017
  11. Jim L Win User
    As a Shareware developer, I have several Desktop and Laptop computers. Yesterday, I upgraded this, my Email laptop, to the Creator's Update.

As I prefer immediate access to everything, I have several hundred Shortcuts on my desktop (neatly arranged). I immediately ran into one of the Icon shuffling problems. Fortunately, I was able to use IconRestorer to reposition my Icons.

In my case, any movement by me of any of the Desktop Icons resulted in random reorganization of many of the Icons.

I did manage to find a workaround for my problem. I changed the TaskBar to Auto-Hide. Now I can move the Icons however I wish. I do not like this solution as I am accustomed to seeing the TaskBar.

This may not help with the other problems discussed above but should be worth a try.

SharePrep - Rename Files for importing into SharePoint

Jim L, Aug 7, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Yes, I've seen the desktop icons behaving unpredictably too, move one and the others can jump to new positions. I find that turning off 'Align icons to grid' tames this wayward behaviour. It's safe to briefly turn on 'Align icons to grid' to tidy up the arrangement, as long as you turn it off again straight away.

13. JSheridan Win User

I see all the same things that you do. *Sad Thanks for the Auto-Hide tip. *Smile

JSheridan, Aug 7, 2017
  14. I never managed to solve this (actually solve in a permanent manner) so I downgraded to Anniversary Update (installed from scratch) and never had issues since.

IgorEisberg, Aug 7, 2017
  15. Jim L Win User
    Bree,

I just tried your solution on my Creators Updated system. This did not eliminate my problem. My situation may be unique in that I have so many Icons on the Desktop and some of them actually extend under the TaskBar.

Thanks,

SharePrep - Rename Files for importing into SharePoint

Jim L, Aug 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Desktop icons misbehaving after Creators Update - Similar Threads - Desktop icons misbehaving

2. misbehaving mouse after driver updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    misbehaving mouse after driver updates: Hello, On the advice of a helper in another forum for another issue, I updated drivers for my Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 15IIL05. Since that day I've been having all kinds of trouble with my Logitech M570 trackball. I have removed it, and uninstalled it - but can't roll back the...
  3. After update lap is misbehaving

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After update lap is misbehaving: I have an Asus X541U Laptop with 12GB ram and Samsung Evo 860 1tb SSD. From last month, after the last update of the windows search bar is not working. lap is totally taking delay to respond. Screenshots are attached FYR, Kindly su[IMG][ATTACH][ATTACH]ggest........
  4. My Windows Is Misbehaving after I updated it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Windows Is Misbehaving after I updated it: Please my Pc has been misbehaving since I updated it to the latest version of Windows 10 pro. Please how can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-is-misbehaving-after-i-updated-it/666f811f-039a-43eb-b961-6c2213ce15d8
  5. Desktop icons alignment bug after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons alignment bug after Creators Update: Since Creators Update installation, I've this bug with Windows 10.When I drag icons on the left side of the screen, sometimes, icons don't move.It happens mostly when the area is "flooded" with icons. When it's pretty empty, seems to work fine.And, sometimes, icon position...
  6. ICON text size etc after Creator update

in Windows 10 Customization
    ICON text size etc after Creator update: How to I change various text sizes and make bold in the new update? Used to be in Display Prop. but I can not find it now. 81895
  7. Mouse & keyboard misbehaving after update

Mouse & keyboard misbehaving after update: Both of these began exactly concurrent with the latest major update. I'm using a (genuine) Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical. The mouse cursor is unresponsive at bootup, but if I disconnect and reconnect it, it works fine. The mouse buttons still work initially (I can...
  8. Sound icon doesn't work after creator update.

Sound icon doesn't work after creator update.: Nothing happens when I left click on the sound icon following the creator update. Right click gives a working menu. How can I get the left click volume control back? 82101
  9. Icons does not align right in desktop since Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons does not align right in desktop since Creators Update: Creators Update bringed us a lot of bugs in Windows 10. One of them is a problem with the icons on desktop. Everytime I reboot I see this: [img] I have marked "Align icons to grid option": [img] To fix the problem I have to check "Auto arrange icons" option...
  10. W10 icons broken after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 icons broken after Creators update: I did the Creators update to W10 today, but now the icons on the desktop are goofed up – they cannot be positioned near the edges, and if you try to move them there, they jump into the screen instead about 2”. And on the bottom, they can’t be placed more than about ¼” from...