Windows 10: Desktop icons move randomly when connected to an External Monitor in Windows 10

Discus and support Desktop icons move randomly when connected to an External Monitor in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]You have a Windows 10 dual monitor setup running, and if you change from the primary display to the external monitor, you may notice that […]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 17, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

Desktop icons move randomly when connected to an External Monitor in Windows 10

WinClub, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

external monitors switch off randomly - possibly connected to Skype for Business usage?

Hi Robert,

It is possible that you're experiencing issues with your external monitors due to corrupted or outdated drivers. To assist you better, I'd like to gather more information:

• Are you using the same device when connecting your laptop to your external monitors?
    • Have you tried updating your drivers?

Meanwhile, if not, I suggest that you follow the steps in this article about updating drivers in Windows

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Desktop icons move to primary monitor after connecting external monitor

Hi,

Please reply to the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to connecting the external monitor?
    • Have you chosen the option of extending the display or duplicating display?

You may follow the below steps to reinstall the Display driver through device manager:

Do the uninstall procedure of drivers mentioned below -

• Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run command box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • In Display Adapter, expand Display Adapter, right-click the device drivers listed, and then click
      Uninstall.
    • When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click
      OK.
    • Restart the computer.
    After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

Check if the Auto arrange icons option is enabled.

To do so, follow the steps given below:

a. Right-click an empty area of the
    desktop

b. Click View, and then click
    Auto Arrange
    to clear the check mark next to it.

Please revert if you still face issue with desktop icons rearranging themselves.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Desktop icons move randomly when connected to an External Monitor in Windows 10

External monitor desktop icons issues

Hi all,

I'm using win 10 and since the November update I have an annoying issue.

I'm using a Lenovo laptop (Z41) and when at home I connect it to an external Dell monitor, and every time I connect or disconnect the external monitor the desktop icons are moving from they were and stuck up in the top left corner of the screen.

The "auto arrange icons" feature in the desktop is unchecked, and the issues wasn't present before the November update.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanx in advance,

Nitzan

Nitzan Margalit, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons move randomly when connected to an External Monitor in Windows 10

1. Desktop icons move randomly when connected to an External Monitor in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Desktop icons move

2. Desktop icons keep rearranging when connecting to my 34' external monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons keep rearranging when connecting to my 34' external monitor.: Every time I connect my laptop to my external monitor all my desktop icons gets rearranged. Now, I think that this is because of the difference in resolution or scaling. Is there a work around in the matter. It's getting really irritating.Also, before this I was using a...
  3. Desktop icons keep rearranging when connecting to my 34' external monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons keep rearranging when connecting to my 34' external monitor.: Every time I connect my laptop to my external monitor all my desktop icons gets rearranged. Now, I think that this is because of the difference in resolution or scaling. Is there a work around in the matter. It's getting really irritating.Also, before this I was using a...
  4. Desktop Icons randomly moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons randomly moving: Currently running Windows 11 22H2 22621.1702 OEM Retail Version.Saw this happening before in the Insider Editions, but am seeing this now in an OEM retail version of Windows 11 non-insider.I have Icons placed on both the far left and far right side of my Desktop. On occasion,...
  5. Desktop Icons randomly moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons randomly moving: Currently running Windows 11 22H2 22621.1702 OEM Retail Version.Saw this happening before in the Insider Editions, but am seeing this now in an OEM retail version of Windows 11 non-insider.I have Icons placed on both the far left and far right side of my Desktop. On occasion,...
  6. Desktop icons re-arrange when connecting external monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons re-arrange when connecting external monitor: I have a laptop as my primary work computer and sometimes I connect it on the same monitor as always. But this time I wanted to test what would happen if I set the secondary monitor as primary. Since then, if my laptop is set to primary, I connect it to my monitor and if...
  7. desktop icons move to second monitor

desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  8. Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor

Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor: Two monitors connected to Dell XPS 15 through a thunderbolt dock. This set up worked perfectly for two years until I installed the recent zoom update. I tried uninstalling zoom and the issue persists. I installed the win 10 2004 update and still have the issue. The strangest...
  9. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2: Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)...
  10. Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor: Hi there, I'm running Windows 10 Pro on my home desktop. I've got 3 monitors setup, two normal, and one TV via a USB video card with HDMI output. My monitors are laid out as |3| |1| |2| with 1 being the primary 21 inch, 2 being a second 21 inch, and 3 being the TV....