Windows 10: desktop icons move to second monitor

Discus and support desktop icons move to second monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NotAgain20, Jul 13, 2020.

1. desktop icons move to second monitor

Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one.

Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen.

It is clear this bug has been around for years with no proper W10 fix.

Anybody have any new insights, or ideas of how to get it fixed properly?

[it is not helped by - turn off auto-arrange already true; change icon size absurd requirement anyway; delete iconcache*; taskbar on main display only; allow themes to change icon settings already off ]

but in any case we shouldn't be faffing about like that - it shouldn't happen in the first place.

:)

NotAgain20, Jul 13, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink desktop icons move to second monitor ;)

qubit, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Desktop icons move from main screen to extended screen monitor

Thank you! Your post was very helpful up to a point. My system is using a Dell Laptop and a 27" external monitor. It uses the Intel Graphics Adapter and Intel Display Settings utility, so I can't just follow along with your step-by-step procedures. My Primary
    has been the Laptop display and all Icons have resided there until a week ago. Now the Icons have moved to the second monitor and they go back to the laptop if I set it for built-in display only.

MikeFlanagan1, Jul 13, 2020
  4. desktop icons move to second monitor

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I already had the desktop set up with "Auto arrange icons" unchecked and "Align icons to grid" checked; I have had it set like that for months.

To expand on the issue, the desktop windows I leave open also rearrange themselves into an area that represents a smaller desktop than that which is configured. Again, this is possibly because when waking up, the smaller monitor 2 desktop seems to come
    alive first so all the windows appear there before being moved back when monitor 1 wakes up, at which point all windows (even the monitor 2 ones) are moved onto monitor 1. I've never worried too much about the windows because I have a third-party program
    that will move them all back, but not the icons, sadly.

Regards,

Jim.

Jim_FitzSimmons, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

desktop icons move to second monitor

1. desktop icons move to second monitor - Similar Threads - desktop icons move

2. Desktop icons keep moving onto my second monitor after a shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons keep moving onto my second monitor after a shutdown: I just recently upgraded to windows 11, now whenever i start up my pc after shutting it down , all my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I keep having to move them back when I start up my pc and I've done the two the trouble shooting tips i googled which was to:...
  3. Desktop icons keep moving onto my second monitor after a shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons keep moving onto my second monitor after a shutdown: I just recently upgraded to windows 11, now whenever i start up my pc after shutting it down , all my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I keep having to move them back when I start up my pc and I've done the two the trouble shooting tips i googled which was to:...
  4. Windows 11 Desktop icons keep moving to my second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop icons keep moving to my second monitor: Hello,Recently, all of my desktop icons have started moving to my second monitor even though my main monitor is set as my main monitor under Windows 11 settings. I currently have my main monitor set at 1920x1080 @ 100% zoom in Windows settings and my second monitor at...
  5. Windows 11 Desktop icons keep moving to my second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop icons keep moving to my second monitor: Hello,Recently, all of my desktop icons have started moving to my second monitor even though my main monitor is set as my main monitor under Windows 11 settings. I currently have my main monitor set at 1920x1080 @ 100% zoom in Windows settings and my second monitor at...
  6. Two monitors and desktop icons load on to second

in Windows 10 Support
    Two monitors and desktop icons load on to second: Please can someone help. When I have monitor 1 on (destop main) and the second monitor (off) but get new icon from installed program. How can I make to icon go on the desktop monitor and not the spare monitor 2 (which is off) when I'm not using it? When I open noepad...it...
  7. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?: I have a HDMI switcher on my main monitor. When I'm not displaying my PC on it, everything switches to my second monitor which is smaller so the desktop icons are all funky. If I move them around when they're on the second monitor, will they be moved when they go back to the...
  8. icons moved to second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    icons moved to second monitor: overnight the icons of my desktop have moved to to my external monitor that is set as extended . How could I move them back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-moved-to-second-monitor/586f72c2-8aa9-49c8-96e6-d307adad9131
  9. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons appearing on second monitor: As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set correctly in settings however, the icons continue to appear on the wrong monitor. This isn't a huge concern to me, but it is more...
  10. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons moving to monitor 2: Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)...