Windows 10: Desktop Icons Moving

Discus and support Desktop Icons Moving in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JakeRotten, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Desktop Icons Moving

Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on. How do I fix this?

submitted by /u/JakeRotten
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JakeRotten, Feb 7, 2021
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Desktop Icons Moving ;)

qubit, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Freely moving desktop icons in windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the blank space on desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to grid.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Desktop Icons Moving

Move Icon to Desktop

Hi Patricia,

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to move the Excel icon to your desktop?
    • Were there any changes made prior to this issue?

You can create an Excel desktop shortcut on your Windows 10 computer by referring to the steps provided in the article on this link.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Desktop Icons Moving

1. Desktop Icons Moving - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Moving

2. Desktop Icons randomly moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons randomly moving: Currently running Windows 11 22H2 22621.1702 OEM Retail Version.Saw this happening before in the Insider Editions, but am seeing this now in an OEM retail version of Windows 11 non-insider.I have Icons placed on both the far left and far right side of my Desktop. On occasion,...
  3. Icons moving on desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons moving on desktop.: Hello, few days ago I started having problems with icons on Desktop. They are moving to secondary monitor when i turn monitors into extended mode, half stay on main monitor and second half is going to other monitor. When I switch to one monitor only they get back to thier...
  4. Desktop Icon keep moving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon keep moving: My desktop icon keep moving and I unable to keep them still, I tried the method right- click then select desktop unable to select desktop * * [ATTACH] Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers in the Microsoft Community forum. Contact...
  5. Desktop Icons keep moving

Desktop Icons keep moving: So this has been an ongoing problem for me for months at this point. Every time I restart or shut down my computer my desktop icons rearrange in a way that I did not set. I have gone through many of the common fixes and have had success temporarily fixing it through some...
  6. missing or moved desktop icons

missing or moved desktop icons: After almost every restart desktop icons disappear or only a few are shown all over the screen. How to regain them and to lock them in positions I have set them?...
  7. Desktop Icons Moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Moving: I have files and shortcuts that run down the left side and across the top of my screen that I keep for easy access. Whenever I save a new file to the desktop it goes to the upper left corner and moves things. I've done the usual uncheck auto arrange and align to grid checks,...
  8. Moving icons to desktop

Moving icons to desktop: I have been trying to move an icon from my start menu to my desktop for the last hour. I have tried every method offered to me. The problem seems that the icon itself does not have any way for me to move it to the desktop. I have tried to use right hand button, etc, I...
  9. Desktop Icons Won't Move

Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...
  10. moving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    moving desktop icons: Ever since the latest update my desktop icons are difficult to keep in place. I do not have auto arrange or align to grid checked. When I move icons where I want them they often snap to another position at random. I have all my desktop icons positioned around the perimeter of...