Windows 10: Desktop icons not opening

Discus and support Desktop icons not opening in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Many of my Desktop icons including browsers, email accounts and bank sites will not open. I took the computer to a Tech and he hooked it up and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Care Valkanas, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Desktop icons not opening

Many of my Desktop icons including browsers, email accounts and bank sites will not open. I took the computer to a Tech and he hooked it up and everything opened. I brought the computer home and the icons won't open. Frustration has set in.

Can anybody help?

Care

:)

Care Valkanas, Jan 7, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 7, 2020
  3. opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Desktop icons not opening

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons not opening

1. Desktop icons not opening - Similar Threads - Desktop icons opening

2. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.: What would cause all of my desktop Icons to disappear when I opened the desktop? I did figure out to how find them but wonder why they were gone?...
  3. Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disappearing Icons on my desktop when opened.: What would cause all of my desktop Icons to disappear when I opened the desktop? I did figure out to how find them but wonder why they were gone?...
  4. Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.: Hello; This is a new build for my daughter. Version Build 19041. Initially, icons opened files with no problem. After a couple of restarts, none will work. If I pin any of them to the taskbar, they open just fine. Same goes for opening them from the start menu. Of course,...
  5. Some desktop icons will not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some desktop icons will not open: Some of my desktop icons will not open, browsers included. Can anyone give me some advice. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-desktop-icons-will-not-open/b26cecd9-9163-4ad6-94d3-d85c87328040
  6. Desktop icons open in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons open in Google Chrome: Desk top icons open/shortcuts go to Google chrome https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-open-in-google-chrome/623c3d54-bd7f-489e-9e69-a3c07466eeb4
  7. desktop icons not opening the website

desktop icons not opening the website: we recently had the problem of Yahoo taking over our Google chrome search engine, I some how got rid of Yahoo but now when we click on desktop icons the website does not open, it just goes to google search engine...
  8. desktop issue with opening icons

desktop issue with opening icons: Desktop Icons Will Not Open __With Double Click Of Mouse Operating system is Vista 64, Windows 7. I cannot open any desktop icon with mouse and a right click of mouse does not open any options. I can open icons in the task bar, quick launch with mouse and a right click of...
  9. Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings'

Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings': I seem to be having a problem with opening Windows Themes as instead of the theme applying as soon as I click on the file, it is opening the 'Desktop Icon Settings' instead (see image). I've never had this problem in the past and have only noticed it since trying to download...
  10. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons: Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD As detailed in another thread, I've had problems going from 1511 to 1607, but have settled in with the latter for the past week. To try to sort a couple of problems, I ran a...