Windows 10: Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Discus and support Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD As detailed in another thread, I've had problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by highstream, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD

As detailed in another thread, I've had problems going from 1511 to 1607, but have settled in with the latter for the past week. To try to sort a couple of problems, I ran a in-place repair install last night. Since then, opening desktop icons has become a big problem:

- programs icons are either very slow to open on a single click - 30 secs to minutes - or do not respond at all to the first click, but require a second one to open (not a double click). Some are not responding at all and I've been doing reinstalls to see if that's the problem.

- icons are often opening another one entirely, typically the last one closed; e.g., I just opened an Excel file linked on the desktop, then closed it and then clicked on the link to open this browser. It reopened the Excel file and the browser. In other cases, it just opens the last one alone. In the cases of Fences, double clicking on the desktop opened the last program used (and closed). This type of thing has happened numerous times.

- it appears that after the first opening, the icon or related icons in the case of a file manger (XYplorer) with a number of icons on the desktop, starts responding normally. Perhaps there's a clue in that?

- this does not affect taskbar icons or programs opened from within file managers

Since this started, I've run sfc /scannow, Windows 10 Manager and Tweaking.com's Windows Repair, the latter suggested on the 1511 to 1607 thread and best to stay away from. None have improved the situation.

This is bizarre. Any ideas short of a clean install?

Update: I did a system restore back to before the repair install, but the desktop issues continue.

:)

highstream, Feb 3, 2017
  2. object404 Win User

After the May 9, 2017 Windows 10 update, clicking on the desktop wallpaper or icons disables clicking for the taskbar and all windows

Basically when I click on the desktop wallpaper or desktop icons, my windows and taskbar become disabled on my first monitor and I can no longer click them...

The only workaround I have is to alt-tab to one of my active programs or to click on items in my 2nd monitor, which will then re-enable the taskbar, and then I can interact with open windows again, but I still cannot click on the desktop or desktop icons
    without the taskbar and windows no longer responding to clicks.

Help!

object404, Feb 3, 2017
  3. Desktop Icons don't respond

Why won't my desktop icons respond to my mouse? When I click on a desktop icon, the little blue circle starts turning for a second or two, then stops, and nothing happens. (The file doesn't open.) Some of the icons open, but about half of them don't.
    How can I fix this? Thank you.

kartking32, Feb 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Hi please compare with behaviour
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. after a clean boot

If no change, then, still in a clean boot state, download & run shellexview (free).
    Hide all MS items, disable all others, also noting the 32 bit option exposes more.

Compare behaviour again.

Can you confirm start menu shortcuts respond ok?

If you have any other instance of file explorer open displaying shortcuts (e.g. rt click All programs in your CS start menu, click Open) do those shortcuts respond normally?

Note comment here (not solved) about network shortcuts:
    File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  5. Thanks. I will get to the behavior comparison.

Start menu shortcuts ok. No evidence of problems there.

Right now, single clicking on desktop icons opens some but with considerable delay. Double clicking opens most everything readily, although a few are slow to load. Running the single-click bat file on this site (tutorials) leaves the open programs running (e.g., browser) but with a light blue background covering the entire screen, in effect a background crash that doesn't go away and requires a forced shutdown.

highstream, Feb 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, will await your comments on each of the other cases. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  7. Strange thing, there are no desktop icons in Safe Mode. Never seen that before. In addition, this little venture led to all sorts of restart problems, so I did another in-place repair install with all drives and cables disconnected except LAN (I had system restored out of the first yesterday). But that didn't change the blank desktop in safe mode. So there was nothing to check. In normal mode, desktop icons are either still not responding to a single click or they're taking their good time.

Btw, I ran sfc /scannow after the repair install, and it came up with some corrupted files. Isn't that part of what the repair install fixes?

highstream, Feb 5, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, sounds like you know what you're doing..

I'd say yes, however bear in mind all your installed programs are retained, as you know. So, if something starting up corrupted files, that might explain what you're seeing. (Which could include malware). Likewise disk related corruption.

As you say, sounds unfamiliar.

The idea of using Safe Mode was of course to try to avoid 3rd party interaction, but also graphics driver related issues.

I would start with basics now, and verify your drive bearing in mind the various problems.
    Download and run Crystal Diskinfo (free, portable if you like) - gives a quick red/orange/blue indication.

dalchina, Feb 5, 2017
  9. Thanks. CDI opened on install and all drives in blue except one, which is yellow probably because it's 89% full. Strangely now, fwiw, it won't open. Not from the desktop icon, the start menu or the file -- hmm...for about two or three minutes. I guess it takes a long time to do its tests.

highstream, Feb 6, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, after launching C diskinfo, nothing appears, some cheerful chimes, and for me after about 4s, I get its GUI (SSD + SSHD).

I'd look at your 'yellow' disk carefully. Is that data only? And is your system disk ok?

HD Sentinel (e.g.) gives a rather clearer analysis of SMART params- not free, could try the trial. Given away periodically.
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring

Have you run antimalware scans?
    Of course, you can try an in-place upgrade repair install, which keeps all progs and data, and most settings.

Once confident in your hardware, how difficult would a clean install be?

dalchina, Feb 6, 2017
  11. No malware found in recent runs. Happen to be running ESET Online scanner right now, but all it's come up with so far are some Win32\TFTPD32.A PUP's (e.g., Todo backup). Like I said, all drives except a non-system one are blue in Crystal. And the yellow one (caution) is all blue in its components except for yellow by Reallocated Sectors Count, whatever that means. I have Samsung's Magician program running, as well as Speed Fan, Speccy and CPUID, and they show nothing unuusal. I installed the trial version of Hard Disk Sentinal, and it also took a long time to open. Here's what it says about the system drive:

"The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found. The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #177 Wear Leveling CountNo actions needed."

The other drives look fine, while the one marked yellow with CDI is not captured with HDD (it's a SanDisk SSD). RAM is good..

You must have forgotten that I just did an in-place repair install over the weekend. A clean install is not in the works for awhile, unless absolutely necessary. Having to double-click doesn't qualify.

highstream, Feb 6, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    An increasing number of reallocated sectors can be an indication of steady failure. Disks are manufactured with spare sectors, and bad sectors are marked so good sectors are used and reallocated as they degrade. Something like that.

Don't think you've done this yet:
    Please compare with behaviour
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. after a clean boot

If no change, then, still in a clean boot state, download & run shellexview (free).
    Hide all MS items, disable all others, also noting the 32 bit option exposes more.

Compare behaviour again.

HD Sentinel sometimes needs another driver to support some SSDs- I unexpectedly found I had to install one when I ran it again recently. It gives a list of such drivers.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2017
  13. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

It's a 1T drive and has music files on it, not system. I'll have to watch if the sector count increases. Right now CDI for reallocated sectors reads Current=100, Worst=100, Threshold=36.

As I explained previously, and please correct me if I misunderstand, since there's no desktop icons now showing in Safe Mode, there's no way to test icon responsiveness for comparison. My understanding is that a clean boot is also best done in Safe Mode.

highstream, Feb 6, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Try this- as you've no icons in safe mode, can you view your desktop folder in explorer or anything else?
    What do you see?

Clean boot is not the same as safe mode. Essentially it's normal mode, but you can variously inhibit services, drivers and startups. A lot more is running, including your normal graphics drivers.

Safe Mode is, generally speaking but not always, Windows only - nothing extra.

You can configure a clean boot in either mode using msconfig.

Problems with explorer (which renders your desktop, control panel etc) may be related to shell extensions- hence the rest of what I mentioned.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2017
  15. In Safe Mode, I see the folders and everything else as normal, and programs and other files open with a single click. Since the clean boot takes a bit more work, I'll get to it sometime soon. For now, screenshot of desktop in Safe Mode (I have a feeling this iconless desktop was caused by the Tweaking.com utility suggested on another thread for dealing with a variety of 1607 problems).

Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons [​IMG]

highstream, Feb 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons - Similar Threads - Desktop icons responding

2. Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted: Windows 11 Pro all drivers updated, windows updated. Sometimes my main monitor the desktop is not responsive. Right click doesn't do anything and clicking any of the icons doesn't do anything. But my secondary monitor I can right click on it. The main monitor will start...
  3. Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks: Not sure how to describe this properly, but it seems others have similar issues. Some applications work as they did with Win10Pro have 11Pro now.Outlook, Calculator, Explorer, Settings; all behave as they did prior. Normal clicking selects the app and makes it active,...
  4. Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks: Not sure how to describe this properly, but it seems others have similar issues. Some applications work as they did with Win10Pro have 11Pro now.Outlook, Calculator, Explorer, Settings; all behave as they did prior. Normal clicking selects the app and makes it active,...
  5. Desktop shortcut icon ot responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut icon ot responding: I used the software yesterday and when I returned to use it again (to copy from an iphone to pc) the icon on the desktop would not respond.Got a revolving circle then nothing.It is Touch CopyTOUCH COPY. ERROR docx.docx 166589
  6. Windows Icons are not responding to clicks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Icons are not responding to clicks: My Windows Icons are not responding to my clicks. I cannot do highlight them or do anything with them. Look at the image for reference. There are two rubbish bins, one is an icon while the other seems like an icon but is just on the home screen like an image. I've restarted...
  7. Speaker Icon on desktop not responding

Speaker Icon on desktop not responding: The Speaker icon on my desktop has stopped responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-on-desktop-not-responding/9c70dba2-86e6-4472-aa02-91f2a694a60e
  8. Desktop icons and right click

Desktop icons and right click: I can not find my desktop icons nor can I right click on my desktop this is what my desktop looks like[IMG] this is what I want it too look like how do I fix this? thank you [ATTACH]...
  9. Desktop icons not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not opening: Many of my Desktop icons including browsers, email accounts and bank sites will not open. I took the computer to a Tech and he hooked it up and everything opened. I brought the computer home and the icons won't open. Frustration has set in. Can anybody help? Care...
  10. first icon on the desktop

first icon on the desktop: my pc automatically selects the first icon on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/first-icon-on-the-desktop/7ce8ad03-d7c3-4df8-84ad-563b3448db09