Windows 10: Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Discus and support Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Before the idea was to run the clean boot in Safe Mode, but since the icons work there now, is there a purpose to that? Instead, I've just run a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by highstream, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Before the idea was to run the clean boot in Safe Mode, but since the icons work there now, is there a purpose to that? Instead, I've just run a clean boot using Brink's tutorial for selective startup in normal mode, and one click on icons gets the same results as before, i.e., 1-2 minutes to open. I'm not sure where to go from here short of a clean install except maybe running an in-place repair install and/or tweaking.com again and seeing if the second time is the charm.

highstream, Feb 10, 2017
  2. dalchina New Member

Ok, so now you know something. Windows is not fundamentally damaged (Safe Mode ok).
    Your clean boot => the same problem.

Now a clean boot is NOT the same thing as Safe Mode. For example, your graphics driver is running.
    And if you inspect what is running, you will find a number of of other services as well.
    So what you can do is reduce what starts up further.
    Inspect the msconfig options, and see what other options there are.
    Examine your running processes and services. What is not Windows- can you disable these?
    Have you disabled context menu options?

No, as stated that's a misconception. 'run the clean boot in Safe Mode' doesn't mean anything.
    You can set up a clean boot whilst in Safe mode, then restart.
    Or you can set up the clean boot whilst in Normal mode, then restart.
    Same result.

Now the other major clue was explorer's CPU use. So keep an eye on that.

Sysinternals Autoruns (run as admin) lets you disable many other things.

Take due care- best to create a restore point or even a disk image before making all these changes, so you can get back to where you were easily and definitively.

dalchina, Feb 10, 2017
  3. Oh yes, both restore point and system image made before starting.

Explorer.exe still churning away. One thing that I noticed in clean boot was that some things are running even after being turned off in start up, e.g., Fences, the desktop icon organizer. I'll have to use autoruns, which I do have (and use). At bottom, the apparent problem, given my other thread about the problems getting from 1511 to 1607, is that something(s) I use conflicts with 1607. Thanks,

highstream, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

1. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons - Similar Threads - Desktop icons responding

2. Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop not responding and icons cannot be targeted: Windows 11 Pro all drivers updated, windows updated. Sometimes my main monitor the desktop is not responsive. Right click doesn't do anything and clicking any of the icons doesn't do anything. But my secondary monitor I can right click on it. The main monitor will start...
  3. Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks: Not sure how to describe this properly, but it seems others have similar issues. Some applications work as they did with Win10Pro have 11Pro now.Outlook, Calculator, Explorer, Settings; all behave as they did prior. Normal clicking selects the app and makes it active,...
  4. Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons in Taskbar not responding to mouse clicks: Not sure how to describe this properly, but it seems others have similar issues. Some applications work as they did with Win10Pro have 11Pro now.Outlook, Calculator, Explorer, Settings; all behave as they did prior. Normal clicking selects the app and makes it active,...
  5. Desktop shortcut icon ot responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut icon ot responding: I used the software yesterday and when I returned to use it again (to copy from an iphone to pc) the icon on the desktop would not respond.Got a revolving circle then nothing.It is Touch CopyTOUCH COPY. ERROR docx.docx 166589
  6. Windows Icons are not responding to clicks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Icons are not responding to clicks: My Windows Icons are not responding to my clicks. I cannot do highlight them or do anything with them. Look at the image for reference. There are two rubbish bins, one is an icon while the other seems like an icon but is just on the home screen like an image. I've restarted...
  7. Speaker Icon on desktop not responding

Speaker Icon on desktop not responding: The Speaker icon on my desktop has stopped responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-on-desktop-not-responding/9c70dba2-86e6-4472-aa02-91f2a694a60e
  8. Desktop icons and right click

Desktop icons and right click: I can not find my desktop icons nor can I right click on my desktop this is what my desktop looks like[IMG] this is what I want it too look like how do I fix this? thank you [ATTACH]...
  9. Desktop icons not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not opening: Many of my Desktop icons including browsers, email accounts and bank sites will not open. I took the computer to a Tech and he hooked it up and everything opened. I brought the computer home and the icons won't open. Frustration has set in. Can anybody help? Care...
  10. first icon on the desktop

first icon on the desktop: my pc automatically selects the first icon on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/first-icon-on-the-desktop/7ce8ad03-d7c3-4df8-84ad-563b3448db09