Windows 10: Desktop Icons not saving position after restart

Discus and support Desktop Icons not saving position after restart in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Whenever I try to position my desktop icons the way I would like, after a restart the icons go back to some strange position. Does anyone know how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Traase, Dec 5, 2020.

1. /u/Traase Win User

Desktop Icons not saving position after restart

Whenever I try to position my desktop icons the way I would like, after a restart the icons go back to some strange position. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

submitted by /u/Traase
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Traase, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Dec 5, 2020
  3. irvan Win User
    Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

Dear Dalchina:

nothing wrong with this.. but the bugs didnt fixed yet at my windows..

Desktop Icons not saving position after restart [​IMG]

Desktop Icons not saving position after restart [​IMG]

i've followed every steps at page one but nothing works on me *cry

irvan, Dec 5, 2020
  4. kklaatu Win User

save desktop icon positions

how can i save and restore desktop icon positions?

kklaatu, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons not saving position after restart - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons saving

2. Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.: Dual Monitor setup, just switched to Windows 11, RTX2070 Super, have checked and tried almost every bit of advice I could find apart from downloading desktop management programs.Icons just will not stay in place after a restart and it's infuriating as I have quite a few and...
  3. Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 desktop icons revert to previous position after restart.: Dual Monitor setup, just switched to Windows 11, RTX2070 Super, have checked and tried almost every bit of advice I could find apart from downloading desktop management programs.Icons just will not stay in place after a restart and it's infuriating as I have quite a few and...
  4. How to Save restore desktop icons position

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Save restore desktop icons position: How to Save restore desktop icons position https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-restore-desktop-icons-position/2bdc389e-d970-4621-a3a6-5643dfee1343
  5. Solution: Desktop icon positions not being saved in Windows 10

Solution: Desktop icon positions not being saved in Windows 10: I had this problems and tried many of the solutions posted here and elsewhere. NONE worked. What surprising did work for me was 1. Moving icons that linked to usb not always unavailable drive content a single folder on the desktop say New Folder 2. Moving an icon on one...
  6. Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart: I'm in the middle of doing a few updates and troubleshooting steps for a couple unrelated issues, and this has cropped up in the process of doing so; whenever I restart my computer now, the icons on my desktop are always in the same location. See that smoothies.txt popped out...
  7. Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart

Desktop icon reverting its position after a shutdown/restart: I had a fresh installation of Windows recently on my SSD, and for the past days the desktop icon i have placed and positioned comfortably just kept reverting to their original locations when they were installed instead of the locations that i've placed them in....
  8. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  9. Desktop icon arrangement not saving after restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon arrangement not saving after restart.: Hi, every time i rearrange desktop icon after restarting or shutting down it keeps back for the previous arrangement. My problem is same as this Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving I already use the autofix it works but only one time use....
  10. Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving after install of build 10586

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving after install of build 10586: Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving after connecting to TV with hdmi cable. This happened after install of November update, or 1511 (for the 11th month of 2015), or build 10586 windows 10 update. All help to solve issue appreciated. Thank you 29644