Windows 10: Desktop icons not staying where I want them

Discus and support Desktop icons not staying where I want them in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MeganTas, Jan 5, 2022.

1. MeganTas Win User

Desktop icons not staying where I want them

Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of the desktop etc etc. What's happening now, though, is that all my icons are located in one large group, more towards the left of the screen. I can't for instance move my Citrix icon to the top right of the screen - it just returns to the left-hand side. Nor can I group all Word icons together.I know this isn't a bi

:)

MeganTas, Jan 5, 2022

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 6, 2022
  3. Try3 Win User
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Try3, Jan 6, 2022
  4. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 6, 2022
Thema:

Desktop icons not staying where I want them

1. Desktop icons not staying where I want them - Similar Threads - Desktop icons staying

2. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  3. Desktop icons not staying where I want them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons not staying where I want them: Hi there - I have just switched from a desktop to a laptop, and I have a number of icons on my main screen. However, I like these icons to be grouped in a particular way - for example, all Word icons to be together, all Excel icons together, a Citrix icon on the top right of...
  4. I hope there's a way to have my Desktop icons stay where I place them

in Windows 10 Customization
    I hope there's a way to have my Desktop icons stay where I place them: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I have my; desktop icons arranged. Two rows, on the right And one row, on the left. Here's, the problem. For some reason. Sometimes all of he icons, end up on the left It's like they just, slammed over there. To put...
  5. Some of my desktop icons stay medium size when i make them large, and I really want the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of my desktop icons stay medium size when i make them large, and I really want the...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/therhubarbdoodles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kiuubu/some_of_my_desktop_icons_stay_medium_size_when_i/
  6. Icons minimize to hidden tray when I want them to stay on taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons minimize to hidden tray when I want them to stay on taskbar: Apps such as steam, discord, wallpaper engine minimize to the hidden tray whether I click the close or minimize button, and it is frustrating. Other programs, like Kaspersky anti-virus or windows defender minimize to the task bar when I click minimize, so it might be a bug....
  7. how can i place desktop icons where i want them

how can i place desktop icons where i want them: how can i place desktop icons where i want them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-place-desktop-icons-where-i-want-them/7c83c79e-b794-49fa-9fdd-4079d50e99fc
  8. Desktop icons moved to the left side all by themselves and I can't move them where I want them

Desktop icons moved to the left side all by themselves and I can't move them where I want them: How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-moved-to-the-left-side-all-by/a6406f14-6c26-4387-b48e-4ea55c5eb732
  9. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them: I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even...
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380