Windows 10: Desktop icons occasional flash

Discus and support Desktop icons occasional flash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's not very often at all but now and then the desktop icons will refresh in a split second, is this normal? I also use fast start/boot. It's very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Desktop icons occasional flash

It's not very often at all but now and then the desktop icons will refresh in a split second, is this normal? I also use fast start/boot. It's very quick, goes through bios and login screen is instant but the icons don't all pop up on my desktop immediately, some of them display whilst a handful tend to take a couple seconds to display (white generic paper icon) until this happens, happens every boot. It's still extremely fast, got a love SSD in combo with fast boot

added info:
    guess I notice the flash most when new software is being installed although I am not sure that's always the case. Would increasing the max icon cache help? I am sure this helps more if icons start changing but maybe it is an advisable move? What is the default size of the Max icon cache in Windows 10. I am sure it was 500 kb on Windows 7. I would hope that MS had the foresight to increase it for Windows 10, not sure why they thought setting it so low was a good idea

:)

Scottyboy99, Dec 29, 2015
  2. DColbyjr Win User

Black screen after windows login

After recent Update, Windows 10 goes through login sequence, then goes to black screen, which occasionally flashes icons at bottom. Occasionally will flash icons on desktop, then they disappear and back to black screen. Trying F8 or F12 on startup does
    not go to diagnostics menu.

DColbyjr, Dec 29, 2015
  3. Lisa715 Win User
    48 hour download and counting...

My desktop just flashes and occasionally I will see my desktop icons for a split second. It has been over two days. Unable to use the computer and there is no error code. Please advise.

Lisa715, Dec 29, 2015
  4. Desktop icons occasional flash

It definetely happens when new software is installed. I downloaded a new app from Windows store just now (kindle) and sure enough as I went back to the desktop all the icons flashed to generic white icons and then reloaded within a couple seconds

Scottyboy99, Dec 30, 2015
  5. b1rd Win User
    I don't have any icons on my Desktop, except for the Recycle Bin, however with my machine I do see the Taskbar icons flicker when I boot. It seems that it happens the moment that all of the start ups finished loading. (IE: When the program icons have loaded within the systray area)

I'm also using a SSD, if that matters.

6. Ok thank you. It seems to be a Windows thing rather than a problem with my system then if you get similar behaviour using an SSD. It's a mild irritation but I will try not to let it bother me as the functionality of the system is good and unaffected

Scottyboy99, Dec 30, 2015
  7. caperjack Win User
    I to get it from time to time ,it can be called a windows thing I guess, it could just be a icon refresh I think, and it could fix itself over time

caperjack, Dec 30, 2015
  8. hiphopper Win User

Desktop icons occasional flash

I get it from time to time as well. At the same time an open File Explorer window will redraw itself. It's very odd and I definitely never saw it on Windows 8/8.1 or earlier.

hiphopper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Desktop icons occasional flash

1. Desktop icons occasional flash - Similar Threads - Desktop icons occasional

2. Black screen flashes twice occasionally

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen flashes twice occasionally: Momentary black screen, content reappears for 1/4 sec, another black screen and then display is normal. This happens on a regular cycle, about 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes there is a soft audio "pop" sound....
  3. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  4. desktop occasionally freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    desktop occasionally freezes: every now and then when im on my desktop, as i right click an icon to bring up the contextual menu it waits and waits and does nothing and so I have to resort to repeatedly clicking which causes the desktop to fade a light grey as any program does when its no longer...
  5. Flashing Thumbnails and Desktop Icons 2019

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flashing Thumbnails and Desktop Icons 2019: I have this problem when I navigate with Windows Explorer into certain Folders. Desktop Icons flash between outline and picture. File Thumbnails flash between outlines and Thumbnails. Green bar never finishes. Computer is almost unusable and Windows Explorer has to be...
  6. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10...
  7. Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen and icons that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 build 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting...
  8. ctrl+d cause icons on desktop flashing

in Windows 10 Support
    ctrl+d cause icons on desktop flashing: Hello, when i am on desktop and press ctrl+d icons flashes, or i would descibed it like dissaper and reaper quickly. Cant find fix. Please help me with this annoynce ffs! 114017
  9. After start seeing desktop icons flash

in Windows 10 Support
    After start seeing desktop icons flash: Couple times today, I've seen the desktop icons all flash/flicker for a micro second. You know the type when something installs and desktop refreshes. But of course I am not installing anything. So possibly something background happening/updating. Is there some kind of...
  10. Desktop flashing icons loop problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop flashing icons loop problem.: I've been away for a couple weeks and started up my desktop with Win 10 Pro 64 a couple days ago. No problems until yesterday afternoon when it rebooted by itself as it sometimes does when left idling. I figure it's auto updating since we can't choose when we can't choose...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 desktop icons flash occasionally