Windows 10: Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting

Discus and support Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a small issue where every once in a while my desktop icons would not remember their previous position, and I had to sort them again.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheRene, Aug 7, 2019.

1. TheRene Win User

Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting

Hi all,

I have a small issue where every once in a while my desktop icons would not remember their previous position, and I had to sort them again. This problem still occurs, but now I can even reproduce the issue 100% by moving 1 set icon to a new position that will cause all icons to become unsorted.

Here is a clip showing part of the issue:
    [youtube]nE3o2WVTmuA[/youtube]

I want to mention that I run a 3 monitor setup, and the desktop icons in on the second (non primary) monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions how to solve this, or does Windows need to patch it?

Cheers

:)

TheRene, Aug 7, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 7, 2019
  4. Max_Saf Win User

Windows 10: Desktop icon positions are not remembered.

Original Problem:

Problem:

My desktop icons are reset to the default left side position of desktop at every startup/restart. I have googled the problem for a while and found out the following:

- Yes, I did a full system scan with Nod32, but I do not remember when this problem started to accur.

- I tried installing the DesktopOk and when I click on save icons layout the icons are saved with the default alignment to the left. As if there is some sort of a default file loaded in the memory that keeps my icons to the left.

- My auto arrange option is not checked

- I did a clean video driver re-install using 3dGuru drive sweeper

- I tried the rebuild icon cache script

- Clicking Refresh after I place icons to where I want them does not help

Why my icons are predetermined to be on the left side. For example, the key icon i am following is the Recycle Bin. Right now its position is set to the Upper Left corner. Even if I move it and then save with DesktopOk, it moves to the upper left corner by
    itself during the save.

This is due to Not32 bug.

In case anyone runs into this problem and a lot of internet sources suggest that there is no cure for this

bug but a Win OS reinstall, here is the solution:

Source: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving Solved - Page 24 - Windows 10 Forums

A FIX WAS FOUND ON THE ESET WEBSITE

I will provide the FIX here and walk you through it

FIX was found by AREZCO

In regedit go to those 2 destinations

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

Double click on (Default) and replace "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll" with "%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll" in both file destinations then restart your PC and everything should work fine !!

You will need to read this to edit those reg keys:

How to Take Full Permissions Control to Edit Protected Registry Keys

Max_Saf, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Problem

2. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  3. Desktop icon position fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon position fix: Hello to everyone,I am using Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.My desktop icons often get messed up when I'm operating on my computer.For example, when I copy and paste a file on the desktop, the new file is added to the top left corner. Sometimes I get confused in finding my new...
  4. Icon positioning?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon positioning?: Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can turn it off and the situation persists. Desired Outcome: for a new folder to remain WHERE I CREATE IT, instead of snapping...
  5. Desktop Icons changing position

Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  6. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  7. Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart...

Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart...: as in subject. I reset my pc and icons keep piling up on all monitors they way they want. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-will-not-remember-icons-position-after-pc/c49f3570-e0c6-479d-8b27-b44da1e46758
  8. Lock desktop icons positions?

Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732
  9. Desktop Icons Not Remembered on Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Not Remembered on Restart: I keep several folders on my desktop. I find the icon settings for the icons in those folders are not remembered when the PC reboots. For example, I like to set medium size icons but I find the details view is set after a reboot. I'm sure this used to work fine before the...
  10. Icon Positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Positions: I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem. I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect...