Windows 10: Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot

Discus and support Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, My desktop icons keep rearranging after explorer restarts/reboots. My icons look like this after I arrange them [IMG] However, after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MatthiasWang, May 24, 2019.

1. Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot

Hi,

My desktop icons keep rearranging after explorer restarts/reboots.

My icons look like this after I arrange them

Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot [​IMG]

However, after I restart explorer/ reboot the computer, my icons look like this

Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot 411d849e-89c5-4699-b73a-e3f489d6d9f5?upload=true.png

The icons change their position

Auto arrange icons is not checked

Can anyone help me?

:)

MatthiasWang, May 24, 2019
  2. m3lis Win User

Desktop icons keep rearranging

Hello,

My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in.

I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode.

I have tried all the solutions available on the internet with no luck, including the obvious ones (trying all the auto-arrange and grid options) and even some more complex ones (sfc, registry tweaks).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

m3lis, May 24, 2019
  3. Desktop icons rearrange at random

Hi,

In order for us to find out what causes your screen to go blank and rearrange the desktop icons, we would like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, May 24, 2019
  4. Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot

Desktop Icons Rearrange after Reboot

Hi Fernando,

There are several causes of this problem. It might be the display settings, outdated graphic drivers, or themes allowed on the desktop icons. Since this problem happens every after Windows update, we recommend performing some troubleshooting steps that are
    applicable for the issue. We suggest that you follow these methods on how to fix this problem:

Method 1: Uncheck Align icons to grid option on your desktop.

• Right-click on the desktop
    • Select View and then untick Align icons to grid
      option.

Method 2: Prevent themes to change desktop icons.

• On Cortana search, type themes and related settings.
    • Choose Themes and related settings from the list.
    • Under Related settings, click on Desktop icon settings.
    • Untick Allow themes to change desktop icons.
    • Click on Apply and then click on OK.

Method 3: Download the latest video or graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Gerard Qui, May 24, 2019
Thema:

Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot

1. Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot - Similar Threads - Desktop icons rearranging

2. desktop icons rearranged after simple restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop icons rearranged after simple restart: Each time I restart my desktop computer the desktop icons are rearranged.I had them organized exactly as I wanted them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-rearranged-after-simple-restart/dbb15aea-ab9b-4add-b87d-a2f2d8e68459
  3. desktop icons rearranged after simple restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop icons rearranged after simple restart: Each time I restart my desktop computer the desktop icons are rearranged.I had them organized exactly as I wanted them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-rearranged-after-simple-restart/dbb15aea-ab9b-4add-b87d-a2f2d8e68459
  4. desktop icons rearranged after simple restart

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot

Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot: I'm on Windows 10 2004 Update Build 19041.746 This started happening recently, my desktop icons is always rearranging themselves after every restart. i have arranged them many times as i need and whenever i restart, they comeback to the weird arranging. Auto arrange...
  6. Windows 10 Desktop icons rearrange after reboot/restart

Windows 10 Desktop icons rearrange after reboot/restart: Good morning, For the past 3 months this issue suddenly appeared every single time i restart my windows. What i've tried: - Rightclick desktop > View > Auto arrange icons on/off - Settings > Themes > Desktop icon settings > Allow themes to change desktop icons...
  7. Desktop Icons rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons rearranging: I have a user who is using dual monitors and their desktop icons always revert back to the main monitor on restart. I logged in and moved icons around and restarted and everything was where i moved it. So this appears to be user specific. I am assuming their is something that...
  8. Icons rearrange on reboot

Icons rearrange on reboot: Hello, Ever since we have had users install 1909 update, there are some people who have issues with the icons on their desktop moving. They might move to a different row or column or they will move to a totally different screen that is not the main screen. I have looked into...
  9. Desktop Icons Rearranging upon Reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Rearranging upon Reboot: Just to clarify, I do know that you have to turn off the auto arrange option in the desktop. I have that option off. I also deleted IconCache yet its still happening. Every time I turn off my computer and turn it back on, some icons go to left and some stay in the arrangement...
  10. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...