Windows 10: Desktop icons scattering themselves across both monitors after every restart

Discus and support Desktop icons scattering themselves across both monitors after every restart in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Yesterday I restarted my pc and all of my icons were scattered randomly across both of my monitors, and I figured it was just a one time thing so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Voice-Spiritual, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Desktop icons scattering themselves across both monitors after every restart

Yesterday I restarted my pc and all of my icons were scattered randomly across both of my monitors, and I figured it was just a one time thing so I rearranged them again. But today as I turned my pc on it did the exact same thing. Anyone else have this issue? I'm on the october 20H2 update. I haven't changed a single thing in any of my settings, it just randomly started on its own.

submitted by /u/Voice-Spiritual
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Voice-Spiritual, Oct 28, 2020
  2. death9104 Win User

icons scattered across monitors (win 10)

I just got this issue where my icons are scattered across my monitors. i use 3 monitors all at the same resolution 1920x1080. my Main display uses displayport, my second display uses DVI and my third uses HDMI to DP. I have auto arranged unchecked. i tried
    deleting IconCache.db several times but no fix. If i disconnect my third monitor the icons are placed exactly how they were before. i've also tried disconnecting the third monitor and restarting with only the other two. Anyone know a fix?

P.s im not using a laptop. also the Icons move after a restart or turning off and on the computer

death9104, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Desktop icons scattering after connecting secondary display

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    2. Which version of Windows 10 you are using currently?
    3. Are you using a HDMI cable or a VGA cable to connect the display?
    4. How are you re-arranging the icons?
    5. Have you tried connecting the display first and then switching on the PC?

I suggest you to try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Try aligning the icons to grid.

1. Right click on the desktop and click on View.
    2. Now click on auto arrange icons and click on
      align icons to grid.

Method 2:

Try updating the display and monitor drivers. Refer the article
    update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Desktop icons scattering themselves across both monitors after every restart

Desktop icons are arranged; then icons are scattered all over the screen

I arrange my desktop icons the way I want them. Then, all of a sudden they are all scattered!

francestmeyers, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons scattering themselves across both monitors after every restart

1. Desktop icons scattering themselves across both monitors after every restart - Similar Threads - Desktop icons scattering

2. Desktop Icons scattering randomly while rearranging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons scattering randomly while rearranging: I have the same issue as this question, however none of those suggested fixes have worked. I am currently on windows 10 with multiple monitors, but this has been a perpetual issue for multiple versions of windows I don't actually know of a time when this hasn't been a problem...
  3. Desktop Icons scattering randomly while rearranging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons scattering randomly while rearranging: I have the same issue as this question, however none of those suggested fixes have worked. I am currently on windows 10 with multiple monitors, but this has been a perpetual issue for multiple versions of windows I don't actually know of a time when this hasn't been a problem...
  4. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?: Hello! My issue is relatively straight forward. When restarting my computer, logging out of my profile, or anything that affects whether the monitor is on or off. The icons I have set will randomly move over to my second monitor. Here's some things I have tried:-Turning off...
  5. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?: Hello! My issue is relatively straight forward. When restarting my computer, logging out of my profile, or anything that affects whether the monitor is on or off. The icons I have set will randomly move over to my second monitor. Here's some things I have tried:-Turning off...
  6. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

7. Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot

Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot: I'm on Windows 10 2004 Update Build 19041.746 This started happening recently, my desktop icons is always rearranging themselves after every restart. i have arranged them many times as i need and whenever i restart, they comeback to the weird arranging. Auto arrange...
  8. Desktop Icons Automatically Rearrange Themselves on Restart or Sign Out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Automatically Rearrange Themselves on Restart or Sign Out: my desktop Icons reset themselves automatically to some fixed position when restart my pc. I've tried doing the theme icon uncheck trick, but it did not work, I also deleted my icon cache, but that did not work. Idk this issue randomly popped up out of nowhere, the only thing...
  9. icons scattered across monitors (win 10)

icons scattered across monitors (win 10): I just got this issue where my icons are scattered across my monitors. i use 3 monitors all at the same resolution 1920x1080. my Main display uses displayport, my second display uses DVI and my third uses HDMI to DP. I have auto arranged unchecked. i tried deleting...
  10. Desktop icons scattering after connecting secondary display

Desktop icons scattering after connecting secondary display: Okay, so, I've had my laptop for almost a year now, For the first roughly 8 months when i plug in a display, all of my desktop icons stayed in place, on my main laptop screen. (I plug in and detach a monitor all the time, probably at the least once daily, none of the icons...