Windows 10: Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor

Discus and support Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Two monitors connected to Dell XPS 15 through a thunderbolt dock. This set up worked perfectly for two years until I installed the recent zoom update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kirk Ceatac, May 29, 2020.

1. Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor

Two monitors connected to Dell XPS 15 through a thunderbolt dock. This set up worked perfectly for two years until I installed the recent zoom update. I tried uninstalling zoom and the issue persists. I installed the win 10 2004 update and still have the issue. The strangest part of this is when I select large desktop icons, the icons move back to screen one, but selecting medium or small icons moves them to monitor two. The system is correctly identifying which is screen 1 and 2. I ran sfc /scannow and it found and fixed errors, but the issue persists.

:)

Kirk Ceatac, May 29, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor ;)

qubit, May 29, 2020
  3. DaliusMA Win User
    Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Hi there

Suddenly icons started to appear on the 2nd monitor

The system is a notebook with docking station, with a 2ndary monitor is used in extended mode (notebook monitor is used as a Main)

It used to work fine all the time (years), but few days ago icons "jumped" to the 2nd display (which is not Main monitor) (could it be an update?)

Changing of settings "auto arrange, grid) doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Windows 10 Pro, 1703

Kind regards,

Dalius

DaliusMA, May 29, 2020
  4. Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I already had the desktop set up with "Auto arrange icons" unchecked and "Align icons to grid" checked; I have had it set like that for months.

To expand on the issue, the desktop windows I leave open also rearrange themselves into an area that represents a smaller desktop than that which is configured. Again, this is possibly because when waking up, the smaller monitor 2 desktop seems to come
    alive first so all the windows appear there before being moved back when monitor 1 wakes up, at which point all windows (even the monitor 2 ones) are moved onto monitor 1. I've never worried too much about the windows because I have a third-party program
    that will move them all back, but not the icons, sadly.

Regards,

Jim.

Jim_FitzSimmons, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor

1. Desktop icons suddenly moved to 2nd monitor - Similar Threads - Desktop icons suddenly

2. Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...: Icons on my 2nd monitor shift to my main monitor when I log off and turn the PC off. In the Morning when I am up I start the PC to find my desktop icons have shifted to the main monitor. In Windows 10 I had an app that would automatically move the icons tot he correct monitor...
  3. Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons move from 2nd monitor to main monitor after restarting, how do I keep them on...: Icons on my 2nd monitor shift to my main monitor when I log off and turn the PC off. In the Morning when I am up I start the PC to find my desktop icons have shifted to the main monitor. In Windows 10 I had an app that would automatically move the icons tot he correct monitor...
  4. Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi-Monitor Desktop icons moving after restart?: Hello! My issue is relatively straight forward. When restarting my computer, logging out of my profile, or anything that affects whether the monitor is on or off. The icons I have set will randomly move over to my second monitor. Here's some things I have tried:-Turning off...
  5. Mouse will not move to 2nd Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse will not move to 2nd Monitor: Hi team,I am unable to move my mouse from one screen to another. This is not a "monitor on the wrong side" issue. I can see the second screen, but I run the mouse across all 4 walls and never cross the border. When I try to hold/drag a window over, the Window does move across...
  6. Mouse will not move to 2nd Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse will not move to 2nd Monitor: Hi team,I am unable to move my mouse from one screen to another. This is not a "monitor on the wrong side" issue. I can see the second screen, but I run the mouse across all 4 walls and never cross the border. When I try to hold/drag a window over, the Window does move across...
  7. Mouse will not move to 2nd Monitor

8. desktop icons move to second monitor

desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  9. Desktop icons disappeared with 2nd monitor, Windows 10

Desktop icons disappeared with 2nd monitor, Windows 10: I have read the many posts with similar issues, but none of the recommendations are working for me. I've checked the show icons option, auto arrange, all of that. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10. Yesterday I bought a new Dell monitor and attached it with a VGA cable....
  10. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

Desktop icons moving to monitor 2: Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)...