Windows 10: Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order?

Discus and support Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Unaccountably, all my "organized" desktop icons all moved to the primary display of a two monitor win10x64 system. I looked at the event viewer's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Joseph Stateson, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order?

Unaccountably, all my "organized" desktop icons all moved to the primary display of a two monitor win10x64 system. I looked at the event viewer's windows system log and there were about 30 Microsoft ordered updates events over the last 24 hours. None of the updates were NVidia so the video driver was not changed nor did my system reboot at all. The apps I had left on the screen were still there but all the icons behind them were gone from the #2 monitor and were all on the primary monitor.

I occasionally see similar behavior #1 and #2 monitor switching places after an NVidia update but it is rare. I also see it if a monitor is disabled or powered off and the other one is on following a power out. This the power out or reboot did not happen though.

Is there any way to save the icon arrangement? Possibly an XML file that windows uses to specify the order? If so, I can save it for use when the icons get re-ordered unexpectedly.

On a side note, 3 of the updates were McAfee security related although I had completely uninstalled McAfee 2 or 3 months ago. I am guessing that Dell's update app had something to do with that as the system came with McAfee originally. Windows defender has been running ever since I got rid of McAfee. There was no need to update McAfee as their app was never running.

:)

Joseph Stateson, Feb 26, 2021

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Feb 26, 2021
  3. Cant change order of items in Jumplists?

Hard to grasp what you are talking about. No matter how much I press Desktop icon, it still stays at the bottom in the Jump List, no matter what. Can you describe step by step. In your screenshot it is Desktop. It is different from what I talking about:
    Pinned folders order in the Jump list for File Explorer that is pinned to my Task bar.

VladimirTimakov1, Feb 26, 2021
  4. bpratt Win User

Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order?

Can the order of the favorites be changed in Spartan?

I've been testing Spartan but I can't find a way to move things around in the favorites list. It puts everything in alpha order. Any suggestions?

bpratt, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order?

1. Desktop icons unexpectedly re-ordered: any way to save order? - Similar Threads - Desktop icons unexpectedly

2. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...
  3. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...
  4. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  6. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  7. Is there a way to sort taskbar icon preview order?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to sort taskbar icon preview order?: I'm not sure what it's exactly called, but when you have multiple folders open(or similar stacking files) and when you hover over them and they show the a thumbnail is it possible to sort there order? I exited out of a folder by accident and now its out of order. Hope there...
  8. Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?: Windows 10 - Start Menu - Power MenuI hate that Restart is at the bottom and Sleep at the top, with Shutdown crammed in the middle. You have no idea how many times I tried shutting down and ended up restarting or sleeping my computer. I don't want to hide Restart and Sleep...
  9. Re-Order Icons in the "This PC" sidebar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Order Icons in the "This PC" sidebar: The subject pretty much asks it all, there are some of the "This PC" folders that I use more than others and I'd like to move them to the top for easier and faster access. How do I do this?...
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...