Windows 10: Desktop Icons Very, Very Slow To Load From A Cold Boot and File Explorer Locking Up

Discus and support Desktop Icons Very, Very Slow To Load From A Cold Boot and File Explorer Locking Up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro 1909. I did a fresh install about a month ago and until recently, my computer was very responsive. I have an SSD boot drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cmc576, Dec 21, 2019.

1. cmc576 Win User

Desktop Icons Very, Very Slow To Load From A Cold Boot and File Explorer Locking Up

I have Windows 10 Pro 1909. I did a fresh install about a month ago and until recently, my computer was very responsive. I have an SSD boot drive and an Intel I7 processor. Boot times were very fast. Then, without warning, I booted up my computer yesterday and none of the Icons on my desktop would load, then file explorer locked up. I waited a few minutes and gradually the icons slowly appeared. I restarted the file explorer service, and everything worked as normal. I restarted my computer not completely shutting it off and everything seemed as responsive as it normally was. Then, I shut it down all the way and performed a cold boot--the original problem appeared: Icons taking minutes to load and file explorer locking up. Also, when I do a cold boot, I can get to the log-on page for my account quickly, but when I log in it takes way, way longer than it used to. The strange thing is that everything seems to be as responsive as normal except for when I actually log into my account. Something is very wrong and I have searched high and low for an answer but have found none. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

:)

cmc576, Dec 21, 2019
  2. snickie Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Disable Search won't make icons load faster. It just disables the ability to find programs and other stuff fast!
    Naturally I tested your "tips" and still, loading icons are slow. It has to be some other thing going on in W10. Windows 7 didn't have this problem. Microsoft wake up!

snickie, Dec 21, 2019
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Dec 21, 2019
  4. TIVVEY Win User

Desktop Icons Very, Very Slow To Load From A Cold Boot and File Explorer Locking Up

slow loading desktop

I tried the clean boot it didn't resolve slow desktop loading issues in Windows 10. Any other suggestions?

TIVVEY, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Desktop Icons Very, Very Slow To Load From A Cold Boot and File Explorer Locking Up - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Very

2. All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop: All of a sudden, I am experiencing extremely slow opening of all files whether opened from file explorer or the desktop. When I open any type of file from file explorer or desktop, I get a spinning wheel for about 50 seconds before even the program splash screen e.g. Word...
  3. All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop: All of a sudden, I am experiencing extremely slow opening of all files whether opened from file explorer or the desktop. When I open any type of file from file explorer or desktop, I get a spinning wheel for about 50 seconds before even the program splash screen e.g. Word...
  4. All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Very slow boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very slow boot up: Hello, I recently updated my windows 10 to its latest version, but after I updated it, my pc began to boot up so very slow. It would take up to less than an hour or 30 mins. I already tried doing what I had read in this article...
  6. File explorer/search very very very slow

File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  7. Loads very Slow

Loads very Slow: I have an Asus Laptop X540 B. Just over 1 year old. Yesterday it started functioning erratically. It takes more than hour to load. Once desktop loads , i noticed the system has reset itself. But when i try to open any file/folder/drive it just hangs and stays like that for...
  8. Very slow boot up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot up: For a couple of months now my computer has been booting up very slowly, and by this i mean 2 to 5 min. I have spent much of the time since this started researching what is causing it. I cant seem to find anyone else who has the same problem as most people crash where as i...
  9. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...
  10. win 10 very slow load time when cold

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    win 10 very slow load time when cold: hi all I am new to this forum, and I would like to ask for help, I am running win 10 had my ups and downs with it but it runs good, now I have a problem that when I turn off windows at nigh,t and restart in the morning, it takes about 15 to 20 mins to show the desktop its a...