Windows 10: Desktop Icons - White Box

Discus and support Desktop Icons - White Box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; a little white box has appeared on my desktop in my icons. When I click on an icon the box ticks but I have to tick again to open the link. Its a minor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elbmek, Feb 2, 2021.

1. elbmek Win User

Desktop Icons - White Box

a little white box has appeared on my desktop in my icons. When I click on an icon the box ticks but I have to tick again to open the link. Its a minor annoyance, but how do I get rid? I think it might have been something to do with winaerotweak but unsure.
    Desktop Icons - White Box [​IMG]

:)

elbmek, Feb 2, 2021

2. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Feb 2, 2021
  3. white box on desktop

When i click on a icon, a small rectangular white box appears in the top left corner on desktop, please help

HectorBorrero1, Feb 2, 2021
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thema:

1. Desktop Icons - White Box - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons White

2. white box and no icon in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    white box and no icon in windows 10: i don't no what to do other than restart explorer so how to fix it forever https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-box-and-no-icon-in-windows-10/00715dd5-d01f-4b2f-b90c-6a26dadbaa21
  3. white box and no icon in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    white box and no icon in windows 10: i don't no what to do other than restart explorer so how to fix it forever https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-box-and-no-icon-in-windows-10/00715dd5-d01f-4b2f-b90c-6a26dadbaa21
  4. White desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    White desktop icons: Sometimes, this desktop icon you can see it in the screenshot would just turn white, but it happens only after certain system reboots etc. I had the same issue with other shortcuts before and I had to go to the original path of certain programs and create a new one from there...
  5. White box on desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    White box on desktop: I know this has been addressed before, but none of the responses seem to fix this issue. I have this white box that appears on my desktop, usually after waking it up from a sleep (30 minutes). When it appears, all my desktop icons disappear. You can’t right click it, or click...
  6. White box around desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    White box around desktop icons?: Hi, From time to time, white annoying boxes appear around my desktop icons that I can't get rid of once and for all. F5 works as a temporary solution, but once I select another icon, the boxes will come back. They appear in the first place by selecting an icon, going on a...
  7. Large white box on desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Large white box on desktop: How do I remove a large white box on my desktop? I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 last september but the box just started appearing in the last two weeks? I read other threads about the big white box but they go back to 2012 and I have found an answer. Any ideas on how to...
  8. white icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    white icons on desktop: OK, I just redid windows 10, installed most of my programs, why are there white icons on the desktop? I have 13 icons, 10 are white, is it a corrupt file somewhere? I thought I would have a like new laptop when I did this but far from it, nothing but more problems. 147973
  9. White box in my Desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    White box in my Desktop: I have restarted my pc lots of times but there is a white box appearing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-box-in-my-desktop/5fb85d55-efe8-4921-acc5-f2cc3d017f95
  10. White boxes for icons in Notification Area

in Windows 10 Support
    White boxes for icons in Notification Area: Running Win 10, build 16299. I used a program, "Dir Icon" to change the icons in the Notification Area" of This PC. I opened My PC on startup last week and all the drive icons had turned into white square boxes. I tried everything I could find to repair the icons, even...