Windows 10: Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

Discus and support Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why won't my desktop icons stay locked in place? They scramble when I restart my computer and I cannot find what I am looking for so I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kathie Kiker, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

Why won't my desktop icons stay locked in place? They scramble when I restart my computer and I cannot find what I am looking for so I have to re-organize the Icons almost daily. I have followed Help tips for this issue by Microsoft and still doesn't fix problem. Thank You.

:)

Kathie Kiker, Apr 30, 2020

2. Locking/pinning Windows 10 desktop icons in place

I do the check in the view under Show Desktop Icons and the icon won"t stay put. It disappears when I close the lid for a day. there is no place where it says Lock the icons.

MichaelClark1, Apr 30, 2020
  3. koolking Win User
    lock Win 10 desktop icons in place

Hello,

I need to lock my icons in place but can't find where to do that. I followed the instructions in your knowledge base but there was no option available as described. Here is what I tried:

• Right Click on desktop screen.

• Place the cursor on View.

• In drop down menu, select auto align and check.
    There was no "auto align" option available. I tried "auto arrange" and that shifted all my icons to the left side of the screen. I need to lock them in place where I put them.

How can I do that?

TIA,

kk

koolking, Apr 30, 2020
  4. Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

How to lock desktop icons in place?

You can't lock desktop icons. But, as Steve suggests, you can record their positions ... and, if icons get moved, you can restore them to their saved positions.

margrave55, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

1. Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons Won't

2. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  3. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  4. Is there a way to lock the icons in place on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to lock the icons in place on the desktop?: I have a user with hand tremors and they inadvertently move icons on the desktop. Is there a way to lock down the desktop layout? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-lock-the-icons-in-place-on-the/38f7ed42-0479-4e53-9f31-d0f9bd95de0d
  5. How to lock icons in place on the desktop WIN10

How to lock icons in place on the desktop WIN10: everytime i arrange my desktop windows decides to rearrange it How to lock icons in place on the desktop WIN10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-lock-icons-in-place-on-the-desktop-win10/b7430678-706a-4de4-951c-6eb323f34aac
  6. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place: I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-wont-stay-in-same-place/6f98e6b2-53f2-456e-889f-5446bfda110e
  7. lock windows 10 desktop icons in place

lock windows 10 desktop icons in place: lock windows 10 desktop icons in place https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-windows-10-desktop-icons-in-place/07d31507-3d80-409a-a4fd-72062bb74176
  8. Locking Icons Into Place

Locking Icons Into Place: Hello Community, I'm a computer teacher at a private elementary school, and I have students who move icons around, delete some, or add others. Most of the time it's harmless, however, it can slow down class when the next student to use one of those computers can't find...
  9. How to lock desktop icons in place?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to lock desktop icons in place?: All I found so far by Googling was that one should set 'arrange icons to a grid', or similar. That option is already enabled. In fact, the only icon I have on my Windows 10 desktop is the Recycle Bin, but any time other icons or folders are placed there temporarily, it is...
  10. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....