Windows 10: Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.

Discus and support Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello; This is a new build for my daughter. Version Build 19041. Initially, icons opened files with no problem. After a couple of restarts, none will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wbfjim, Jan 18, 2021.

1. wbfjim Win User

Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.

Hello; This is a new build for my daughter. Version Build 19041. Initially, icons opened files with no problem. After a couple of restarts, none will work. If I pin any of them to the taskbar, they open just fine. Same goes for opening them from the start menu. Of course, with any new build there have been several upgrades. I suspect that something might have happened after an upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

wbfjim, Jan 18, 2021
  2. CuFc 1960 Win User

Win 10 all of a sudden open programs won`t minimise or maximise

Hi

I haven`t made any changes ..so probably a Windows update...previously with any running programs I could left click the icon in the taskbar and it would maximise and minimise...not now...also I can`t right click on desktop?? I also notice when I click on start I have these 3 `new` icons on top left of desktop...exted..pinned tiles..all apps...I never saw this before and it`s not on any of my other Win 10 pc`s (none of which have the issues described) Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks

CuFc 1960, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will. - Similar Threads - Desktop icons won't

2. ! IMPORTANT! - No taskbar icons, no desktop icons, can't open any programs, computer not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ! IMPORTANT! - No taskbar icons, no desktop icons, can't open any programs, computer not...: Please read this before responding with "use SFC or DISM" as I tried EVERYTHING I could, with no avail.I have got an Asus Windows 10 Home laptop. It was working just fine before, until one day. I booted it up and normally signed into my account profile. After it signed in, it...
  3. ! IMPORTANT! - No taskbar icons, no desktop icons, can't open any programs, computer not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ! IMPORTANT! - No taskbar icons, no desktop icons, can't open any programs, computer not...: Please read this before responding with "use SFC or DISM" as I tried EVERYTHING I could, with no avail.I have got an Asus Windows 10 Home laptop. It was working just fine before, until one day. I booted it up and normally signed into my account profile. After it signed in, it...
  4. ! IMPORTANT! - No taskbar icons, no desktop icons, can't open any programs, computer not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 desktop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  6. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 desktop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  7. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 laptop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  9. No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...

in Windows 10 Customization
    No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...: It's all in the title. When I login, there are no desktop icons. If I click a few times the screen will flash and go back to how it was. Clicking on the Taskbar results in the same thing. I've tried opening task manager by ctrl Alt delete and by ctrl shift escape, but it...
  10. open program icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    open program icons in taskbar: Windows has always let me toggle between open windows by either clicking on the item in the taskbar or on the window itself (for example, when I'm going back and forth between Excel and Chrome). But now the Chrome button is the only icon that brings its window to the...