Windows 10: desktop icons won't stay in place

Discus and support desktop icons won't stay in place in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nikilet, May 16, 2017.

1. Nikilet Win User

desktop icons won't stay in place

It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them.

In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons.

These are just nuisance things, but if anyone knows how I can fix, please advise.

:)

Nikilet, May 16, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, May 16, 2017
  3. Desktop icons do not stay in place I put them

Thank you so much Andre! This seems to have worked desktop icons won't stay in place :)

Best regards, Melanie

MelanieCheek1, May 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 17, 2017
  5. Nikilet Win User
    Didn't find much there except for IconRestorer, but I want to thank you for responding.

Nikilet, May 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Scanning thru that for you:

dalchina, May 17, 2017
  7. Nikilet Win User
    If I install one of the programs listed above will my desktop icons come back. I've had to right click/view/show desktop icons since that last Windows 10 update, but came back to my computer today after being off for a while and the icons are all gone and the show desktop icons is already selected. I tried un-selecting and re-selecting but it didn't work.

----- I just restarted and they came back but this is getting old.

----- Me again. I downloaded IconRestorer and installed it and there was no icon on the desktop for it after installation. I looked in Program Files and couldn't find anything there either. Where in the heck does it install to?

----- And again ... It is solved.

Nikilet, May 21, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Good- but it is an odd reflection on Windows that some people still have this problem occurring, when it's been a recurrent one for years, and unfortunate a fix like this is needed.

And sometimes 3rd party tools do offer useful solutions- or better than MS's own. (Esp. the start menu!!! *Biggrin)

If solved, please mark it as solved (green button at the top if I recall).

dalchina, May 21, 2017
  9. Nikilet Win User
    Just wanted to come back here and thank you for the tip on IconRestorer. It's so simple and at least I don't have to rearrange all my icons all the time, since this now seems to be a constant problem. This little program is a great aid for getting things back to where they belong.

Nikilet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. desktop icons won't stay in place - Similar Threads - desktop icons won't

2. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  3. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  4. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons don't stay in place

Desktop icons don't stay in place: I've been keeping program and document icons on the desktop since Windows 3.1. My Windows 10 desktop shows some icons on the left side of the screen and some on the right side also. The icons on the left remain where I put them,. However, the icons on the right side get moved...
  6. desktop icons dont stay at the same place

desktop icons dont stay at the same place: Hi, I'm tired of always having to rearrange the desktop icons, how to fix this ? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-dont-stay-at-the-same-place/4113dd83-083b-43b9-ba34-f80e131968ad
  7. Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place: Why won't my desktop icons stay locked in place? They scramble when I restart my computer and I cannot find what I am looking for so I have to re-organize the Icons almost daily. I have followed Help tips for this issue by Microsoft and still doesn't fix problem. Thank...
  8. Task bar and desktop icons will not stay in place

Task bar and desktop icons will not stay in place: Task bar and desktop icons will not stay when replaced win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-and-desktop-icons-will-not-stay-in-place/2e01feaa-3500-451e-b39b-39c89a9b8965
  9. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place: I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-wont-stay-in-same-place/6f98e6b2-53f2-456e-889f-5446bfda110e
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380