Windows 10: Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Discus and support Desktop Icons won't stay in same place in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this????... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GlennFrankel1, May 22, 2019.

1. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this????

:)

GlennFrankel1, May 22, 2019

2. Locking/pinning Windows 10 desktop icons in place

I do the check in the view under Show Desktop Icons and the icon won"t stay put. It disappears when I close the lid for a day. there is no place where it says Lock the icons.

MichaelClark1, May 22, 2019
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, May 22, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Windows 10 can't lock desktop icons in place

Hi,

In Windows 10, there are ways to keep the icons in place. To make them stay in their location, we suggest that you check these methods:

Method 1:

• In your desktop, right click on an open area.
    • Select Personalise, click Themes on the left menu.
    • Remove the checkmark on Allow themes to change desktop icons, then click
      Apply.
    • Arrange your icons where you want them to be.

Method 2:

• In an open area, right click on your desktop.
    • Select View, on the drop down menu Auto arrange icons shouldn't have a checkmark and
      Align icons to grid should have a checkmark.
    Let us know if any of the above methods work.

Xylee Del, May 22, 2019
Thema:

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

1. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons won't

2. Place icons on Windows 10 desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Place icons on Windows 10 desktop: I've just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and am still adjusting to more complicated steps. How do I place an icon for Word, Excel and PowerPoint on my desktop. Right now I can only access them on the Taskbar. I'm not used to using the Taskbar for access?...
  3. How to lock desktop icons in place?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to lock desktop icons in place?: All I found so far by Googling was that one should set 'arrange icons to a grid', or similar. That option is already enabled. In fact, the only icon I have on my Windows 10 desktop is the Recycle Bin, but any time other icons or folders are placed there temporarily, it is...
  4. Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put

Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put: How do I get my desktop icons to stay put in Windows 10. Yes, I have already tried the usual fixes for this issue so please don't suggest to "Refresh", etc. I am on my third surface book, my other two did not have this issue. Thanks for any help you can give....
  5. Icons Won't Stay the Same Size in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons Won't Stay the Same Size in Quick Access: Hi folks. I'm a longtime Windows user (since 3.1) and decided to get into a forum again. I have an odd problem: The icons in the Quick Access folder keep reverting back to the Tiles setting no matter how many times I change them to a larger size. I can set them either with...
  6. Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin Icon won't stay put on desktop.: Hi everyone - I deal with complex issues, but this is ridiculous! W10 Pro... Have Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons To Grid checked in View. I like my Recycle Bin in the lower left hand corner of the screen. However, it moves up four places on the left every time I log...
  7. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  8. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....
  9. Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons won't stay where I put them: I like to position all my desktop icons in a custom order, but since I took my PC into the Geeks to remove a suspected virus, my desktop icons keep returning to default positions upon restart or refresh. I've experimented with unchecking grid and align options, and even...
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380