Windows 10: Desktop Icons won't work in Windows 10

Discus and support Desktop Icons won't work in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For the last 2 days, after leaving my system alone for several hours, all of my desktop icons have an X on them. Nothing will open. The only way I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MikeCoyle2, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Desktop Icons won't work in Windows 10

For the last 2 days, after leaving my system alone for several hours, all of my desktop icons have an X on them. Nothing will open. The only way I have found to correct this is to crash my system and 10 to 20 seconds later reboot. I have run security and malware scans, but nothing is found. What may be causing this, and how can I prevent it?

Thanks in advance.

:)

MikeCoyle2, Aug 7, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Desktop Icons won't work in Windows 10

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Icons won't work in Windows 10

1. Desktop Icons won't work in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Desktop Icons won't

2. Desktop icons not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop icons not working: My desktop icons, start button and folders are not opening when I click on them. When I click the cursor spins for a second or two and then nothing happens. I have restarted several times and that has not helped....
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place: Why won't my desktop icons stay locked in place? They scramble when I restart my computer and I cannot find what I am looking for so I have to re-organize the Icons almost daily. I have followed Help tips for this issue by Microsoft and still doesn't fix problem. Thank...
  4. Personalised desktop shortcuts won't work on Windows 10

Personalised desktop shortcuts won't work on Windows 10: Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm trying to create some shortcuts on my desktop e.g CTRL + ALT + G = Google. However when I clicked 'Ok' the shortcut doesn't work. The shortcut only seems to work when I have this menu open see image below. Anyone know...
  5. Windows 10 - Custom icons won't stay on desktop

Windows 10 - Custom icons won't stay on desktop: Hi, Windows 10 is such sh...t sometimes. I'm not sure anyone could fix that but I explain the issue. Windows 10 is unable to keep a custom icon .ico assigned to a website link shortcut created on the desktop. After a while it changes it to some bland icon sh..t,...
  6. Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put

Windows 10 desktop icons won't stay put: How do I get my desktop icons to stay put in Windows 10. Yes, I have already tried the usual fixes for this issue so please don't suggest to "Refresh", etc. I am on my third surface book, my other two did not have this issue. Thanks for any help you can give....
  7. Desktop Icons Won't Move

Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...
  8. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  9. Desktop won't work

Desktop won't work: My windows 10 home screen is now with those tiles and won't let me switch back to the traditional windows desktop. It's kinda like windows 8. Anyway, please reply if you know how to switch back to the traditional desktop. 51173
  10. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....