Windows 10: Desktop.ini Question Again

Discus and support Desktop.ini Question Again in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I understand that the Desktop.ini file is used by Windows, but I have had problems with my windows computers for years and I seem to have way too many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gregmackner, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Desktop.ini Question Again

I understand that the Desktop.ini file is used by Windows, but I have had problems with my windows computers for years and I seem to have way too many of these for all of to be needed by Windows. Currently on my C:\ drive I have 382 . There are hundreds of them on my other partitions also. Some of them start with a capital D and some with a small d . When i hide system files and do not show hidden files i still have 180 showing. Also when i did a search i found 2 copies of each listing in the same directory I have 2 of these they are an exact copy even the folder name and location such as.....

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Desktop.ini

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21788

[LocalizedFileNames]
    computer.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-9216
    Control Panel.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12712
    Run.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12710
    File Explorer.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22067
    Command Prompt.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22022
    Administrative Tools.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21762

Here is one I have 2 copies of that has a small d in desktop.ini

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..l32-kf-programfiles_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.1_none_e7f8ef22af7d95a9\desktop.ini

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21781

Is there any way to tell if there are created by windows or are something else.

windows 10 ver 1903 os build 18362.295

:)

gregmackner, Sep 3, 2019

2. cant open desktop ini files in windows 7

cant open desktop ini files in windows 7

luckybis59, Sep 3, 2019
  3. cant open desktop ini files in windows 7

changed from picture music videos names to desktop ini

luckybis59, Sep 3, 2019
  4. Desktop.ini Question Again

cant open desktop ini files in windows 7

how to open desktop files and ini or ink files

luckybis59, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

Desktop.ini Question Again

1. Desktop.ini Question Again - Similar Threads - Desktop ini Question

2. Desktop INI and Autorun

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop INI and Autorun: So... I have multiple external hdds. I have autoruns on them to generate Labels and Icons. That is working properly. I have multiple sub folders on those hdds. I need 2 different types of Desktop INIs that I cannot seem to get working. **NOT Working** I need the parent on...
  3. Desktop background theme again :-)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop background theme again :-): Thanks to Ruth Buruga for telling me how to change the time a desk theme image is displayed using the registry editor. Can you tell me where the image is stored that displays after the system is started and just shows user names? Thank You....
  4. This is a test question again, please ignore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This is a test question again, please ignore: This is a test question again, please ignore. How's the weather? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-is-a-test-question-again-please-ignore/27c129e4-926e-4736-9ad3-1236a9144741
  5. Remote Desktop Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remote Desktop Question: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on my laptop. I have a friend who is new to Windows and needs occasional help. If I upgrade her Windows 10 Home to Pro, I can use Remote Desktop to access her laptop and essentially take control (do updates, open apps, show her how to do...
  6. desktop and cursor freezing now and again.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    desktop and cursor freezing now and again.: Am in my 80's so not quite so fast. Recently out of the blue the cursor and screen will freeze (Desktop Windows 10) and then on my restarting work again. Then if left for a short while unattended, we be frozen again. This last time after pressing one or two keys randomly...
  7. what is a .ini icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is a .ini icon?: I have these ghostly looking .ini icons on my screen, which are connected to other documents - what are they and can I get rid of them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/what-is-a-ini-icon/11adb71a-4cd6-4a41-b307-0788047abf35
  8. virtual desktop question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual desktop question: Hi all, I just got a new Dell SPX 15 with Win 10. I'm liking it so far, but when one thing bothers me and I can't figure out how to turn it off. When I have any window open on my desktop and I grab it by the title bar to move the window a little "virtual desktop" appears...
  9. Desktop will not Sleep AGAIN!!!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop will not Sleep AGAIN!!!!: This isn't the first time that I have had issues with this computer not wanting to go to sleep. It did it with Windows 8.1, it did in Windows 10 when I first upgraded it. Now, it's doing it again in Windows 10. We just changed out modems because we upgraded to a higher speed...
  10. Multiple Desktop question

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktop question: I've been trying to do something with multiple desktops in 10 with no success. Is there a way - if you're using multiple monitors - to have different desktops displayed on different monitors at the same time? 20215

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rdp wrapper ini file windows 1903 18362