Windows 10: Desktop is unavailable/ referenced tokens do not exist

Discus and support Desktop is unavailable/ referenced tokens do not exist in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone my Windows 10 desktop is unavailable it says system32 config systemprofile desktop unavailable. Performing some actions like trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BenjaminHoreluk, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Desktop is unavailable/ referenced tokens do not exist

Hello everyone my Windows 10 desktop is unavailable it says system32 config systemprofile desktop unavailable. Performing some actions like trying to click the recycle bin which is the only app on my laptop right now or the windows start button tells me the reference to that token does not exist. I have spoke with two advisors on the Microsoft chat and they both steered me in the wrong direction even after I told them I've tried everything they are telling me I've even gone as far to spend my money because they guaranteed it was a CMOS battery which I changed and nothing has changed on my desktop. Can anybody please help me?

:)

BenjaminHoreluk, Mar 18, 2020
  2. mrpradeep Win User

How do I import RSA Token on Windows Phone 8?

Hi,

Probably it might be helpful for those who may not be using sdtid file.

In my case, the normal process of RSA seeding (for windows desktops) was as below:

• Generating an activation code in the online portal.
    • Along with the activation code, the portal used to display the URL for importing tokens from web as https://custom.url.com/tokens
    • In the desktop RSA application, select 'import tokens from web' option
    • Paste above URL and then activation code in the specified fields to import the tokens
    However, when I installed RSA app in my windows phone (Windows-10), the app was expecting import URL in com.rsa.securid:// format. Finally it turned out that I need to enter the URL in following format:
    com.rsa.securid://ctkip?scheme=https&url=custom.url.com/tokens

Once I pasted the link in this format, it was pretty simple. App asked for activation code, which was already available with me (as per step-1 above). The import was successful.

mrpradeep, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Desktop is unavailable

Hi Tina C-Felli,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Could you please help me with the make and model of the computer?

I understand how something like this can really try your patience and I appreciate the time you have taken to resolve this issue. Desktop unavailable location which indicates an incorrect desktop location. Because system files gets
    corrupted. When the desktop location not available happens, you'll be presented with a blank desktop displaying no data and files.

I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps as mentioned below:

Step 1: Download ISO.

1. Open Task manager with ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ and click on more details.
    2. Go to File Tab >Click on ’Run a new task’> type:
      Iexplore. (Note: we will have to run each task in Admin Privilege, check the option ‘Create this task with Administrative privileges’).
    3. Choose the Gear (Options) > Select Developer Options (F12) >in the bottom select Emulation Option.
    4. Under Emulation Options: Change the User agent string to "BingBot" to receive the ISO DL prompts on the site instead of MCT.
    5. In the browser download
      windows 10
      from Microsoft website.

If you are not connected to internet, I would suggest you to
    create
    a bootable media
    using another computer and do a repair on the affected computer using a flash drive.

Step 2: Back up the data.

1. After downloading the ISO, Open Task manager with ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ and click on more details.
      Notepad.exe (Note: we will have to run each task in Admin Privilege, check the option ‘Create this task with Administrative privileges’.
      )
    3. Go to File> select Open > select the C drive and go to
      Windows.old or Users folder. Remember to change the dropdown in the Notepad.exe File, Open from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files (*.*) to ensure that you can see all files on the machine.
    4. Verify if all files are safe before proceeding, and you can take the back up of files by connecting other external drive or USB. (Make sure you do not use the USB which has Windows 10 downloaded on it.)
    Note:
    While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before reinstalling the OS.

Step 3:
    In-place upgrade.

1. Open Task manager with ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ and click on more details.
      Notepad.exe. (Note: we will have to run each task in Admin Privilege, check the option ‘Create this
      task with Administrative privileges’.)
    3. Plug in the external USB or flash drive where Windows 10 is downloaded.
    4. Run Setup.EXE, proceed with the onscreen instructions. For more information, refer the steps provided by
      PaulSey… on How
      to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Suparna85 Win User

Desktop is unavailable/ referenced tokens do not exist

Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

I AM USING WINDOWS 10, WHEN I AM TRYING TO OPEN ANY FOLDER

Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist
    PLEASE HELP ME

Suparna85, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Desktop is unavailable/ referenced tokens do not exist

1. Desktop is unavailable/ referenced tokens do not exist - Similar Threads - Desktop unavailable referenced

2. An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-attempt-was-made-to-reference-a-token-that-does/a57ff71c-ab85-4d31-860a-cf8f90d12db5
  3. An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-attempt-was-made-to-reference-a-token-that-does/a57ff71c-ab85-4d31-860a-cf8f90d12db5
  4. An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Token Doesn't Exist

Token Doesn't Exist: Split from this thread. WHAT HAPPENED????? HELP! SEE BELOW ERROR MESSAGEINTERNET SEEMS TO WORK, EDGEWI FI - NOTOUTLOOK - CAN ENTER E-MAILS BUT CAN'T SENDCAN'T OPEN DOCUMENTS TOKEN DOESN'T EXISTCOMPUTER SHORTCUT DOESN'T WORK TOKEN DOESN'T EXISTMS ICON IN LOWER LEFT NOT...
  6. Token Doesn't Exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Token Doesn't Exist: Split from this thread. WHAT HAPPENED????? HELP! SEE BELOW ERROR MESSAGEINTERNET SEEMS TO WORK, EDGEWI FI - NOTOUTLOOK - CAN ENTER E-MAILS BUT CAN'T SENDCAN'T OPEN DOCUMENTS TOKEN DOESN'T EXISTCOMPUTER SHORTCUT DOESN'T WORK TOKEN DOESN'T EXISTMS ICON IN LOWER LEFT NOT...
  7. Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist: I AM USING WINDOWS 10, WHEN I AM TRYING TO OPEN ANY FOLDERError: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not existPLEASE HELP M https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-an-attempt-was-made-to-reference-a-token/11c3cb62-feaa-43c5-8ecf-1946c72f2e65
  8. Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist: I AM USING WINDOWS 10, WHEN I AM TRYING TO OPEN ANY FOLDERError: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not existPLEASE HELP M https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-an-attempt-was-made-to-reference-a-token/11c3cb62-feaa-43c5-8ecf-1946c72f2e65
  9. An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

in Windows 10 News
    An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If your Windows File Explorer has stopped working and you see an error while trying to open it – An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist, then this post may be able to help you. [...] This post An attempt was made to reference a token...
  10. Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist: I AM USING WINDOWS 10, WHEN I AM TRYING TO OPEN ANY FOLDER Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist PLEASE HELP ME...