Windows 10: Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

Discus and support Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My mother's PC had the most bizarre bug I've ever seen this morning. PC specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit Version: 1903 when problem occurred (1909 now)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ss2020, Apr 1, 2020.

1. ss2020 Win User

Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

My mother's PC had the most bizarre bug I've ever seen this morning.

PC specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Version: 1903 when problem occurred (1909 now)

What happened:
    • all desktop items, including folders, opened in Libreoffice Writer; once open it displayed a blank document then began flickering as if it had bugged while scrolling
    • opened Task Manager from the task bar, selecting the second tab opened the final tab, which began flickering like Libreoffice
    • problems stopped after a restart, then occurred again after another restart; then stopped after the PC ran for a short time
    • no error popups or BSODs
    • she said Candycrush reported an error earlier but it didn't occur when I looked at it; she said it mentioned "something about the desktop"

Steps I've taken:
    • did a quick virus scan then reboot scan with Windows Defender; no problems found
    • sfc /scannow; no problems found
    • installed update KB4537572 and upgraded system to 1909; updates appear to have been successful, no other updates available

At the moment the problem has disappeared, but since it reoccurred previously I'm not sure it hasn't been fixed.

I'm out of ideas. What else can I check and what other tests can I run? Based on the given information could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

:)

ss2020, Apr 1, 2020
  2. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Apr 1, 2020
  3. shelat Win User
    windows 10 defender does not allow Libreoffice 6.1.2 document to open

I have Lenovo Miix 700 laptop/tablet. I am using windows 10. I turned off Windows defender and this allow me to install Libreoffice 6.1.2. Once I turned on windows defender, I could not open any desktop document I saved on my desktop. I added Libreoffice.exe
    in Protected folder. I added Libreoffice.exe and user profile in "Allow an app through Controlled Folder Access". Libreoffice was installed On C:\Program Files\Libreoffice\ path. I also added all .exe into Protected folder. After this I turned on Defender
    setting back to ON, I can't open any document without error "Document could be locked".

I have searched through Libreoffice forum and tried all suggestions including deleting user profile and recreated. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harish

shelat, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

Flickering screen and unable to maximize items

Hi Jane,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with flickering screen, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• How often you see black/ flickering screen on your device?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Is the issue of maximizing the screen confined to any particular game?
    • Were you able to see any error code with this issue?

I would like to inform that screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers.

I suggest you to refer to the troubleshooting steps like Check to see if
    Task Manager flickers, Uninstall an incompatible app,
    Update your display driver from the Microsoft article about flickering screen and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

1. Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering - Similar Threads - Desktop items open

2. Opening Desktop Bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening Desktop Bug: Hello MS User We Have a Something BugWhile Im trying to open desktopWatch here :https://youtu.be/Si6OuKL-3G0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-desktop-bug/d19720bf-c5e4-4755-bcf8-7a36563113f7
  3. Opening Desktop Bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening Desktop Bug: Hello MS User We Have a Something BugWhile Im trying to open desktopWatch here :https://youtu.be/Si6OuKL-3G0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-desktop-bug/d19720bf-c5e4-4755-bcf8-7a36563113f7
  4. LibreOffice on Windows Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LibreOffice on Windows Server: Hello everyone. Can't solve the problem in Java Web Application. The application has been in production for several years now, I only add new functionality if necessary. For the last half of the year, all that had to be done was to update the libraries. But starting from...
  5. LibreOffice on Windows Server

LibreOffice on Windows Server: Hello everyone. Can't solve the problem in Java Web Application. The application has been in production for several years now, I only add new functionality if necessary. For the last half of the year, all that had to be done was to update the libraries. But starting from...
  6. Desktop flickering?

Desktop flickering?: Just updated windows 11 and when I booted up and entered password to login... It bsod... After restarting, entered my password and the desktop along with the icons started flickering... The task bar doesn't load... But the windows do not flicker... Which means it's not a...
  7. Windows 10 flicker bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 flicker bug: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Voidfaller519 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mpc3iz/windows_10_flicker_bug/
  8. Items on desktop will not open on left click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Items on desktop will not open on left click: Items on desktop will not open on left click, must right click and select OPEN. Same probl;em on multiple PCs, began all at once on all PCs. Same problems on Windows Live Mail --- clicking on an email will not open it. Also on other apps, for example, trying to open a file...
  9. Recently Opened Items Bugs on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Recently Opened Items Bugs on Taskbar: Hey guys. Even i turning off "Show recently opened in Jump Lists or the taskbar" options on Setting my recently opened files, pictures, videos still showing when i right click the icon on taskbar. Is there anyway to force close this options? Because seems like it's bugged...
  10. LibreOffice Anomaly

LibreOffice Anomaly: I have LibreOffice 5.2 installed in My HP Pavilion Desktop where it has been running satisfactorily for some time. I recently installed the program in my HP Pavilion Laptop, the version now is updated to 5.4. With the earlier version I can scan in wirelessly from any of...