Windows 10: Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor

Discus and support Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I turn on the second monitor, my desktop changes. If I turn off a monitor, my desktop gets messy. I really don’t want that my desktop changes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ReynaLynn Vega, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor

When I turn on the second monitor, my desktop changes. If I turn off a monitor, my desktop gets messy. I really don’t want that my desktop changes every time I turn on/off the other monitor.

:)

ReynaLynn Vega, Nov 7, 2018

2. i have a problem to connect 2 monitors.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What changes did you make in the BIOS? As making the changes in the BIOS is only recommended by Microsoft if done by the manufacturer.
    • How are you connecting to the 2nd monitor?
    I suggest you to follow the steps from this article below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

[Applies to Windows 10 as well]

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor

Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor

1. Desktop layout changes when I connect another monitor - Similar Threads - Desktop layout changes

2. desktop layout randomly changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop layout randomly changed: When I woke up today, all my icons have grown despite the size scaling being untouched. it also spread the icons randomly all over the desktop for reference, my desktop had a lot of dead space and now there's maybe 1 spot without an icon....
  3. desktop layout randomly changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop layout randomly changed: When I woke up today, all my icons have grown despite the size scaling being untouched. it also spread the icons randomly all over the desktop for reference, my desktop had a lot of dead space and now there's maybe 1 spot without an icon....
  4. Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.: I have the same issue described here I have a Lenovo laptop with win 10 on ithttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-limited-connection-when-i-connect-an-external/b80a6691-637e-4649-ac01-b87e94ba2c29Changing the channel to 1, 6 or 11 and reducing the...
  5. Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.: I have the same issue described here I have a Lenovo laptop with win 10 on ithttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-limited-connection-when-i-connect-an-external/b80a6691-637e-4649-ac01-b87e94ba2c29Changing the channel to 1, 6 or 11 and reducing the...
  6. Wifi connectivity affected by exapading desktop to another monitor.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. BSOD when moving a program from one monitor that's connected to the GPU to another monitor...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD when moving a program from one monitor that's connected to the GPU to another monitor...: Hello, I keep on having BSOD's when I move a product that's mostly GPU intensive Autodesk Autocad, Autodesk Revit to another monitor especially now that the latest version of Revit allows another viewport to be moved to another monitor . Even the EPIC Games launcher desktop...
  8. Desktop Layout Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Layout Change: [IMG]When I got the new update this happened. The desktop layout changed........does somebody know how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-layout-change/26d07dad-dfd4-426a-aeb9-727aa6544f2e
  9. Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...: I have a Macbook for work, and I use multiple desktops all the time on it while also having an external monitor plugged in. Mac's default behavior when transitioning to another desktop is to only change the desktop on one of the monitors. I virtually never want to change...
  10. Connecting monitor to desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connecting monitor to desktop: I am sorry if this is a basic question. I am looking to get a new desktop machine and waiting for machines to come out with the new OS pre installed. I have had laptop machines for so long now where you don't need to worry about monitor connections. But with the new machine...