Windows 10: Desktop loads to a black screen with just the cursor

Discus and support Desktop loads to a black screen with just the cursor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, So about a week ago I lost power while I was on my computer. We were able to load it up after the power went out and use it again. We shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dfoulk, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Dfoulk Win User

Desktop loads to a black screen with just the cursor

Hello,

So about a week ago I lost power while I was on my computer. We were able to load it up after the power went out and use it again. We shut down the computer and tried to load it up the next day and we get nothing but a black screen with just a cursor on the screen. I have looked up several different solutions and everything that I have tried does not seem to work. I don't know if there is maybe another underlying issue that I don't see or if I am maybe not doing something right. I have also tried swapping out the ram because I have extras and that isn't the problem and the hard drives are still reading as healthy.

I have also tried shutting it down and leaving it off for a couple days to see if maybe giving it a break would help and by some miracle it would just start back up but that isn't my luck. There are some occasions when I load it up and it tries to repair the C drive and then starts loading and won't go any further than the black screen. It will not let me load it up into safe mode, I can bring up the screen that allows you to select the option for safe mode. I have tried to completely restore the computer and every time it attempts it, it fails shortly after. I have seen options for doing some things in command prompt but none of those work. I'm completely out of ideas.

Does anyone know if anything else that I may not have tried or an idea of what I should look for inside of the computer?

:)

Dfoulk, Nov 21, 2020
  2. Adiluddin Win User

win10 black screen and cursor but no password on acc still not loading

I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8 and not 8.1 with black screen and cursor I had no password so it should automatically load into account but it did not plus I tried ctrl key and enter plus all other key combinations but nothing and waited for half an hour. Please help all suggestions are welcomed!

P.S. I can see the cursor and the loading windows logo so no imbecile answers like graphic card driver or monitor driver for god sake

Adiluddin, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Desktop loads to a black screen with just the cursor

Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 update

Cyril Robinson AzariahJ, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Desktop loads to a black screen with just the cursor

1. Desktop loads to a black screen with just the cursor - Similar Threads - Desktop loads black

2. Black screen desktop monitor with cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen desktop monitor with cursor: Hi there! My desktop is suddenly not working. I was able to use it last night and when i tried to use it again the monitor is black with a cursor on the upper left of the monitor. I timried to unplug the cables and plug them again but to no avail. I have also tried...
  3. Black screen desktop monitor with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen desktop monitor with cursor: Hi there! My desktop is suddenly not working. I was able to use it last night and when i tried to use it again the monitor is black with a cursor on the upper left of the monitor. I timried to unplug the cables and plug them again but to no avail. I have also tried...
  4. Black screen desktop monitor with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No desktop on start up, just plain black screen with cursor.

No desktop on start up, just plain black screen with cursor.: Hello, I've been getting this problem every time i open my laptop. When im done inputting the password, it'll proceed into a blackscreen and stays there for almost or more than a minute before my desktop runs....
  6. Black screen with loading cursor frozen

Black screen with loading cursor frozen: Hi I was trying to make a game on roblox studio but all suddenly I got a Microsoft alert and it turned into a black screen with a blue loading cursor I tried my best to turn it off and looked up a bunch of ways on YouTube but still nothing is working it ended up turning off...
  7. Black Screen with loading cursor

Black Screen with loading cursor: Hi I have a windows desktop and I tried to dual boot Kali Linux along side Windows 10 using a bootable usb. I first made the bootable by burning an iso file to the usb, I then partitioned Drive C: so that I could make room for the new OS. I then changed the boot order so that...
  8. Black screen with loading cursor

Black screen with loading cursor: I recently built my first pc, everything was running fine and working well but 3 days ago my hard drive gave me a problem where I had to reset everything. After that everything worked fune again until today, I turned on my pc and before logging in there is just a black screen...
  9. No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor: After logging in to my account I am met with a black screen and a cursor and that's it. There are numerous solutions that I have looked into that didn't work. I am able to open task manager. The issue persists in Safe Mode. This issue is localised to one user account. The...
  10. Windows 10 is loading to a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 is loading to a black screen with cursor: Windows 10 is loading to a black screen with cursor after login randomly, this happened after I just performed an update. I use an SSD for my OS files, 1TB hdd for docs and another for backups. This was happening 4 weeks ago, except my docs harddrive was making a clicking...