Windows 10: Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

Discus and support Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Gigabyte P27 laptop with a Dell U2913WM monitor attached via VGA connector and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I use extended desktop and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Hairy Scot, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

I have a Gigabyte P27 laptop with a Dell U2913WM monitor attached via VGA connector and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI.
    I use extended desktop and the Dell is set as Main Display. The built in monitor is disabled.
    The configuration is, from left to right, Dell (3), TV (2), Built in (1).
    I been running this way for about a year with no issues until two days ago when all of a sudden after boot up the desktop had disappeared from the Dell and appeared on the Samsung. But the taskbar stayed on the Dell.
    I dragged and dropped the stray icons back to the Dell and all was fine until the next restart when they moved back to the TV.
    I have since discovered that any screen refresh causes the same phenomenon.
    I've hunted high and low but I can find nothing that would explain this or suggest how to fix it.
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Hairy Scot, Jul 5, 2019
  2. T0SNIC Win User

Windows & desktop icons on secondary monitor are moved to primary monitor after standby

I had been using 2 monitors with the same resolution (1280x1024) without issues. I recently replaced my primary monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor. Every time the system wakes up from standby everything from the secondary monitor is moved to the primary monitor.
    Strangely enough, the desktop icons and the windows (explorer & applications) are not always moved.

I have already tried to delete corrupted registry entries as stated in
    this thread
    . There were 3 monitors listed with different resolutions. That did nothing.

System specs:

Video card: AMD R7 260X

primary monitor cable: DVI

secondary monitor cable: DVI output -> VGA adaptor

T0SNIC, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Ajhmain Win User
    The taskbar locked to bottom of secondary monitor moves to the primary monitor whenever primary monitor is switched on.

See the title.

I have the taskbar locked at the bottom of the secondary monitor so the primary monitor is completely empty for watching movies, games TV etc.

Whenever I turn the primary monitor on, the taskbar immediately jumps from the bottom of the seconday monitor over to the bottom of the primary monitor. I then need to untick the 'Locked' option on the taskbar, drag it back to the secondary and tick 'Locked'
    again.

The taskbar disrupts desktop icons on the primary and any application running on the primary monitor at the time and quite frustrating.

Primary monitor is an Asus PB328, connected via Display Port to the PC.

Secondary monitor is a Samsung 24 connected via DVI to the PC.

I expect the taskbar to remain where I place it when locked, regardless of monitors been switched on or off.

The sequence of turning on the primary and secondary monitors has no impact. As soon as the primary monitor (Asus on DP) is turned on, the locked taskbar moves to the primary display, regardless of whether the Samsung is on or not.

Ajhmain, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

I want to move spell checker window to a non primary monitor

I use my Internet Explorer on my secondary window. I have a misspelled word, I right click, the window with suggestions add to dictionary, is on the primary window. I don't want that. If I change primary and secondary windows, I can't move my mouse left
    to right, its stops at the new secondary window.

I want to move the suggested spelling window to the secondary monitor.

jimmyolsenblues, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

1. Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??) - Similar Threads - Desktop moved primary

2. How to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar ?: Hello world,I would like to retrieve the old way to move the taskbar as it use to be on Windows 10 and other windows before.Having the main monitor for the programs and the secondary for taskbar, tools, browsers, etc is the most comfortable to use for me.Using windowskey +...
  3. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  4. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  5. Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar: Hi.I would really appreciate more taskbar positioning options for the taskbar in Windows 11. I would really like to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar. If it is possible to do, I would really appreciate to know how. I already...
  6. Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar

Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar: Hi.I would really appreciate more taskbar positioning options for the taskbar in Windows 11. I would really like to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar. If it is possible to do, I would really appreciate to know how. I already...
  7. Dual Monitors Taskbar Problem - Taskbar moves from secondary to primary monitor on wake

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Monitors Taskbar Problem - Taskbar moves from secondary to primary monitor on wake: I'm running dual monitors (1440p main, 1080p secondary) and I want my taskbar positioned on my secondary monitor. After the computer wakes up from sleeping the taskbar is always repositioned back to the primary monitor. 1) I will not reassign my 1440p main display to be the...
  8. How to move volume icon from primary monitor taskbar to secondary monitor taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move volume icon from primary monitor taskbar to secondary monitor taskbar?: move or duplicate, either works for me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-volume-icon-from-primary-monitor/5e3cd760-5854-4fc5-995c-8eedbbb381a3
  9. Moving outlook from secondary monitor to the primary left a "black shadow" on the secondary...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving outlook from secondary monitor to the primary left a "black shadow" on the secondary...: Never seen this before but there was a recent NVidia driver update that came in at same time with feature 1909 I moved the outlook display back to the secondary monitor but it wont "stick' to its shadow. I cannot close outlook. Anything I bring up on the second monitor is...
  10. Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??): I have a Gigabyte P27 laptop with a Dell U2913WM monitor attached via VGA connector and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I use extended desktop and the Dell is set as Main Display. The built in monitor is disabled. The configuration is, from left to right, Dell (3), TV (2),...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows resized and moved to primary monitor - display port connection