Windows 10: Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809

Discus and support Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been experiencing this issue for some time and didn't have time to take to fix it myself. But I did spend 3 and a half hours trying to find a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theNurky, Oct 19, 2018.

1. theNurky Win User

Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809

I've been experiencing this issue for some time and didn't have time to take to fix it myself.
    But I did spend 3 and a half hours trying to find a solution that would work.
    Tried:
    1. Uninstalling All Possible Drivers
    2. Uninstalling All Possible Programs
    3. Resetting the PC but kept the personal files
    4. Safe Mode, same issue still persists

Here is the issue: Imgur

There seems to be some issues on the Context Menu Handler, and the CLSID points to {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} which is "New Menu Handler"

HKCR\CLSID\{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

Everything seems to be OK, I even downloaded the 1803 ISO and installed in VirtualBox, the values are all the same.

I have tried appending "1" to */Background/shell & shellex and Windows automatically creates the default ones. Again, the same delay issue persists.

If anyone knows how to fix this, it won't just help me, but a lot more people who are experiencing the same problem.

Thanks in Advance!!

:)

theNurky, Oct 19, 2018
  2. Necrofire Win User

CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809 ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809 ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809 :)

Necrofire, Oct 19, 2018
  3. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

Hi Ramon,

In reply to your questions:

• Asus, not sure of model - 64 bit desktop system, Asus motherboard, Intel E5300 dual-core @ 2.6 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 600 Gb disk (<80% full).
    • No error messages at all.
    • None of the desktop shortcuts (icons) launch their apps, including old original shortcuts and newer ones. (In other words, all icons' context menus misbehave the same way.)
    • No changes or custom mods... off-the-shelf prebuilt system, stock Windows install. Strictly used for home office functions - no gaming or external hardware hung off the PC.
    Some additional points:

• Note that the Win-X context menu also mostly not working - none of the utilities launch from the choices on the upper 75% of the menu, only system functions (Run, Shutdown, etc.) at the bottom.
    • Also note that context menus work normally elsewhere in the system: like inside File Explorer, and inside the Start Menu.
    • Not aware of any other issues anywhere in my system. Applications run promptly and at normal speed, no unusual hangs or error pop-ups. (BTW, Windows tablet mode is OFF - I checked.)
    • Windows 10 was an upgrade directly from Windows 7.
    • At that time everything worked, including all the desktop shortcut context menus and Win-X.
    • The context menus on the desktop stopped functioning after the Anniversary update... now shortcuts only launch on double-click from mouse.
    • All additional MS updates and patches since that time have successfully installed.
    Thanks for your help.

WarrenClearfield, Oct 19, 2018
  4. Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809

windows 10 desktop icon context menus

(Windows 10 with Anniversary Update, patched up to date.) Following installation of Anniversary Update I have 2 context menu issues. When I right-click a desktop shortcut the context menu appears but Open, Run As Administrator, and Pin to Start don't work
    - e.g., the app won't launch and it won't pin to the Start Menu (but it will pin to Taskbar). On the other hand, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties do work. It doesn't matter which shortcut I try, and this all worked before the upgrade. Also the Win-X menu
    pops open, but none of those choices work either except the 4 bottom ones - Desktop, Shutdown, Run, and Search. Again, if the choice is to run a program, there may be a momentary spinner, but nothing starts up. The shortcuts only launch if I double-click,
    and the context menus seem to work from inside the Start list (including creating a tile and pinning to the Start Menu from there.

I've tried different Google searches, but none of the hits quite describe my issues. One of the postings that came close suggested running a utility called ShellExView. I disabled all 7 suspect non-MS context menus it identified, but that made no difference.
    So, can anybody help?

WarrenClearfield, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809

1. Desktop "New" Context Menu Behaving Slow After Upgrade to 1809 - Similar Threads - Desktop Context Menu

2. New context menu at desktop missing options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New context menu at desktop missing options: right click desktop context menu New is missing options. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-context-menu-at-desktop-missing-options/962bad6a-a3b9-4c2a-bef3-2517df5b7e8e
  3. New context menu at desktop missing options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New context menu at desktop missing options: right click desktop context menu New is missing options. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-context-menu-at-desktop-missing-options/962bad6a-a3b9-4c2a-bef3-2517df5b7e8e
  4. New context menu at desktop missing options

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Context Menu is slow and irritating.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Context Menu is slow and irritating.: Hello, I am Aryesh and I have a problem with my windows 10 context menu. Right click context menu actually. When I right click a folder or a notepad document, app shortcut, etc. There is a little busy cursor for some time and then the context menu appears. Any suggestions? I...
  6. Classic Context Menu not possible in 1809 ?

Classic Context Menu not possible in 1809 ?: Brink , you always helped us in the past with all kind of tweaks etc. Now, after upgrade to 1809 , we can not get the mouse-selected items in the context-menu in blue , we can not use the "Immersive ContextMenu=0 " key in ;...
  7. Microsoft Context Menu "New" option is acting slow

Microsoft Context Menu "New" option is acting slow: So, I had this issue for a while now, and I was wondering if something was corrupted in the registry files. Also, this is not about the WHOLE Context Menu being slow, it's this one option named "New" that is taking a lot of time to load, and I was wondering if there is a fix...
  8. Classic Context Menu not possible in 1809 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Classic Context Menu not possible in 1809 ?: Brink , you always helped us in the past with all kind of tweaks etc. Now, after upgrade to 1809 , we can not get the mouse-selected items in the context-menu in blue , we can not use the "Immersive ContextMenu=0 " key in ;...
  9. Windows 10 version 1809 update - Slow Context New Submenu & Menu Items Missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 version 1809 update - Slow Context New Submenu & Menu Items Missing: Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. After the 1809 update I've found that all the PCs I have applied it to so far have the same symptom of very slow access to the New submenu in Right Click Context menus. It seems when you first open the right click menu...
  10. Context menu on the desktop

Context menu on the desktop: How do I recover a lost right-click drop-down context menu on the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/context-menu-on-the-desktop/21749250-49ca-4520-b839-f24d49c95a6a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new context menu slow

2. Desktop New Context Menu Behaving Slow

3. fix windows 10 1809 slow new context menu

4. windows desktop menu slow,
  5. new conext menu lagging,
  6. context menu new faster,
  7. {d969a300-e7ff-11d0-a93b-00a0c90f2719} slow solved,
  8. new context meny slow,
  9. new context menu working slow,
  10. slow new contextmenu windows 1809,
  11. computer slow to start after 1809 update,