Windows 10: Desktop not making sound

Discus and support Desktop not making sound in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer started turning off during use out of nowhere a few weeks ago. The turning off has stopped, but now my computer isn't making any sound.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Breyster, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Breyster Win User

Desktop not making sound

My computer started turning off during use out of nowhere a few weeks ago. The turning off has stopped, but now my computer isn't making any sound. Hovering above the sound button says "the audio service is not running." When I go to services and attempt to start the audio service it says, "Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer." Where do I go from here? I've tried to reset my computer, but it says it is unable to reset. There are also updates back to January that are stuck on pending download that won't start if that info helps.

:)

Breyster, Aug 4, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Desktop not making sound :p

cadaveca, Aug 4, 2020
  3. sound

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to hear the email notification sound.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Go to Control Panel Items

• Click on Sound.

• Click on Sounds Tab.

• Click on Desktop Mail Notification.

• Click TEST.

• Click OK.
    And check if you are able to hear the email notification sound.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Aug 4, 2020
  4. fireberd Win User

Desktop not making sound

Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Desktop not making sound

1. Desktop not making sound - Similar Threads - Desktop making sound

2. Headset making static sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset making static sound: Hey! So recently I've got my computer cleaned, as it was pretty dirty on the inside. After I received it back, also with a new ssd card installed now I have two, as I connected my Redragon Zeus 2 headset, it started making this sound it's the audio I recorded to show my...
  3. Headset making static sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset making static sound: Hey! So recently I've got my computer cleaned, as it was pretty dirty on the inside. After I received it back, also with a new ssd card installed now I have two, as I connected my Redragon Zeus 2 headset, it started making this sound it's the audio I recorded to show my...
  4. Trackpad makes a beep sound

Trackpad makes a beep sound: Hey people. I'm having this problem recently and this is starting to annoy me, but my DELL Inspiron 11 3168 makes a random beep sound randomly when i use the trackpad, i have all my drivers up to date, including the trackpad, i don't know what is causing this random beep, but...
  5. Windows Timer Not Making Sound

Windows Timer Not Making Sound: I was having issues with my Windows Timer not making a sound when it hit 00:00:00. It would do the notification on my screen, but no sound. After much research I wasn't able to find a way to fix it. There were many suggestions but nothing seemed to work. A coworker helped me...
  6. Should an SSD make a sound?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should an SSD make a sound?: So, doing my disk checking for errors, I have noticed when I check an SSD it makes a low volume, high pitched noise (a bit like in the movies when computer text is being typed on-screen ). I use a 240GB PNY, 240GB Kingston, A really old OCZ Agility3 120GB, and Vertex2 240GB....
  7. Not able to make it to desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to make it to desktop: So I was updating my drivers earlier today and one of them had a problem installing. A couple hours later once I booted up my pc, I was unable to do anything and now when I try to boot normally or go into safe mode, I get greeted with a BSOD of Critical Process Died. The...
  8. PC Makes A Weird Sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Makes A Weird Sound: I've started to notice that my pc has begun making a... weird sound quite often. I don't even know how to describe the sound, but it appears mostly when I open up things. Like, disk management, for example.. I tested out opening and exiting disk management and it seemed like...
  9. Notifications stopped making sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Notifications stopped making sound: The notifications still appear in a box at the bottom right, but it just doesn't make any sound anymore. even when I plugged in a mouse or a keyboard, the "plugged in / unplugged" sound also stopped. I've looked in the sound tab in the control panel, the notification sound is...
  10. Laptop making a sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop making a sound: When nothing is open laptops makes a doo doo sound. Please help me figure out. Video at link https://streamable.com/ii00k8 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-making-a-sound/98823944-eaca-418e-9a8d-e0aeecdb7e4b