Windows 10: Desktop not responding - can't use PC at all

Discus and support Desktop not responding - can't use PC at all in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, a couple days ago I booted my PC and when the desktop loaded nothing would respond. The mouse moves around the screen but clicking anything or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tizer7724, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Tizer7724 Win User

Desktop not responding - can't use PC at all

Hi, a couple days ago I booted my PC and when the desktop loaded nothing would respond. The mouse moves around the screen but clicking anything or dragging Windows doesn't work.

Ive tried SFC /scannow and running a threat scan with malware bytes in safe mode (the PC seems to operate fine in safe mode), possible I have a virus as I've been without Norton for a week but I'm not convinced it is a virus as I haven't downloaded anything dodgey or visited dodgey websites from what I remember.

I I tried running a system restore to two different restore points within the last month, both displayed this error after running for a while (see imgur link photo attachment)

https://i.imgur.com/Rm00HgO.jpg

I'm stuck, I don't know what to do next to fix this issue.

If you need anymore info just ask, I'll respond promptly.

Cheers in advance for any help!

:)

Tizer7724, Sep 6, 2016

2. Can't create a home-group and network says I already have one

Thank you for responding and trying to help. But I've already done all of this, which is why I'm posting for help. The desktop pc can not create a home group or join one. I created one on my laptop, but the desktop does not register. It registers an old
    hp laptop that another family member uses, but not my laptop. All are windows 10. All 3 computers do register each other on the network though, but can't join the same homegroup.

#Technologyhatesme, Sep 6, 2016
  3. Cortana Not Responding At All

My internet connection is fine but Cortana is still not working correctly.

SheenaThayres, Sep 6, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Do you have an image backup that you could restore, instead of the restore point? It will rebuild the entire boot/sys drive so it shouldn't fall prey to whatever borked your System Restore. Sounds like that's the next logical step in the recovery process. Otherwise, you may have to perform a clean (re)install.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 6, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    There is nothing to lose trying a repair install first so you don't have to reinstall all of your programs - see Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop not responding - can't use PC at all - Similar Threads - Desktop responding can't

2. Taskbar not responding at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not responding at all: My computer task bar keeps reloading all over again, and even if it reloads it doesn't fix the issue. Restarting won't help either. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-not-responding-at-all/4b21ba70-7e58-4f76-8354-f44ebdea0a89
  3. Taskbar not responding at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar not responding at all: My computer task bar keeps reloading all over again, and even if it reloads it doesn't fix the issue. Restarting won't help either. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-not-responding-at-all/4b21ba70-7e58-4f76-8354-f44ebdea0a89
  4. All apps are not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All apps are not responding: Hi, I ha e downloaded an app and open it using winrar through windows store. Now all my apps was replaced by WinRAR and I cannot open them. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-apps-are-not-responding/538ef371-4c8a-4894-9d55-48d7496cfe26
  5. All apps are not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All apps are not responding: Hi, I ha e downloaded an app and open it using winrar through windows store. Now all my apps was replaced by WinRAR and I cannot open them. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-apps-are-not-responding/538ef371-4c8a-4894-9d55-48d7496cfe26
  6. Desktop is stopped or crashed and not responding at all

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop is stopped or crashed and not responding at all: Until this morning , everything was fine . After this morning , my dad used a USB stick to copy the files from the computer , after this windows gone bad . Apps run well at the same performance as before but the only is Desktop , taskbar , search and others crashed . I tried...
  7. Not responding at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not responding at all: Hi. Sorry to disturb but I need help! When I was using the laptop, it was fine, everything was going smoothly and well. When I added another tab, it suddenly stop moving. I can't move my mouse on the screen, can't click anything, can't exit from the tab. I can't even...
  8. Can't login or use my pc at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't login or use my pc at all: Yesterday i resetted my pc and today when i turned it on it said your account is disabled try seeing your system administrator. i looked this up on youtube googled it and nothing worked whenever I tried using command prompt or something it asked my to connect to an user but I...
  9. Desktop is Not Responding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop is Not Responding: After I reset My Windows 10 Home on My Laptop using Reset PC on Setting, if I click Right Mouse Button, It shows Loading Mouse Pointer and my desktop gone freezing. I tried to restart it and still like that if I clicked right button. Does someone can solve this? Thank You!...
  10. Locked out of Admin Account. Can't Use PC at All.

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked out of Admin Account. Can't Use PC at All.: So the other day I noticed my only account on my laptop had lost administrator privileges. I looked up how to fix this and went about doing. I booted into "safe mode with command prompt" but that realized I didnt need that, just regular safe mode. I turned off my laptop, and...