Windows 10: desktop occasionally freezes

Discus and support desktop occasionally freezes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; every now and then when im on my desktop, as i right click an icon to bring up the contextual menu it waits and waits and does nothing and so I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kgshink, Nov 4, 2019.

1. kgshink Win User

desktop occasionally freezes

every now and then when im on my desktop, as i right click an icon to bring up the contextual menu it waits and waits and does nothing and so I have to resort to repeatedly clicking which causes the desktop to fade a light grey as any program does when its no longer responding. ive also noticed that when this occurs my cpu usage goes up substantially. which is strange bc I should have no problems with performance, I have a brand new build with an AMD ryzen 3 2200G.

:)

kgshink, Nov 4, 2019

2. Desktop freeze after log in

Hi Keith,

In order for us to find out what causes your desktop to freeze after logging in, we would like to gather more information:

• Did you make any recent changes on your computer prior to this issue?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • When the computer freezes, do you get an error message?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Is there ANY way in Windows 10 to keep desktop icons in place? Windows shifts them around occasionally.

Hi Judith,

It's possible that your desktop icons are changing locations due to some settings on your computer. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this started happening?
    • Since you mentioned that this happens occasionally, did you notice any instances that may have triggered it? For example, did it happen after adding or deleting one of your desktop icons?

In the meantime, check if you have Auto arrange icons enabled by following these steps:

• Right-click an empty space in your desktop.
    • Choose View.
    • If Auto arrange icons is checked, uncheck it.

Additionally, you can change the Desktop icon settings by using these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click Personalization.
    • Choose Themes from the left pane.
    • Click Desktop icon settings.
    • Uncheck Allow themes to change desktop icons.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your answers and the result of following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

1. desktop occasionally freezes - Similar Threads - desktop occasionally freezes

2. PC Freezing Up Occasionally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Freezing Up Occasionally: This is a repost to see if I can still find a solution as the one I posted before never solved the issue, and the person helping never responded, nor did anyone elseOk so to start off and describe what is going on, as of recently my laptop has seemed to be acting weird and...
  3. FileManager not updating, occasionally freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FileManager not updating, occasionally freezing: I have Windows 10, version 2004 ?! OS Build 19041.421 I installed a preview version of Windows that had the capability of enabling the use of Docker, but I never followed through with the Docker install. This was a couple months ago. My File Manager has become troublesome...
  4. Occasional PC freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Occasional PC freeze: In the past 2 days my PC has frozen a couple of times each day. Brief system spec.: Windows 10 Pro V.1909 (Build 18363.900). Reverted from 2004 10 days ago, suspected Macrium Reflect problem (not the case) AV: Kaspersky Free Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3 (Socket 1156) RAM:...
  5. Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.

Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.: I have no idea where to start with this issue. All I know is that my computer will rarely crash and restart itself and when I go to check the reliability report in the action center, the only information it gives me is that "Windows shut down unexpectedly". I don't get a blue...
  6. Occasional crashes with more Freezing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Occasional crashes with more Freezing.: I have bought a dell pc for just under 2 weeks ago (1-year warranty). It has frozen over 10 times and crashed 4 times. I have noticed that when it freezes, it does so when I either: switch between programs, open/close programs or wake up from sleep. (I think these are...
  7. Occasional freeze

Occasional freeze: I've just purchased and installed Windows 10 Home 64bit. The system is occasionally freezing. Not completely though as I can still move the cursor around on the screen. After a couple of minutes, the system resumes back to normal. Sometimes the system stops to a...
  8. Windows 10 freezes occasionally

Windows 10 freezes occasionally: Hello, I've been having problems with my Windows 10 lately, I don't know when exactly has happened to become super slow with occasional freezing. I'm running Windows 10 version 1803, NVIDIA GTX 960, CPU is Intel i7 6700, 8GB ram. I've tried the usual with sfc /scannow,...
  9. Occasional Freezing While Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Occasional Freezing While Gaming: Hello, Right, I don't know what's going on anymore. I have just updated my BIOS to 0902 and I'm thinking this will resolve the issue. The issue is that I get occasional freezing during gaming. I have the latest Nvidia graphic's drivers (397.64), installed through "clean...
  10. Occasional BSOD / freeze

Occasional BSOD / freeze: Hey guys. So, a little backstory - last month, I RMA'd my motherboard (MSI Z97S SLI Krait) and re-installed it. A couple of weeks later, I got random BSODs. There doesn't seem to be a definite pattern to them. Some are while I'm playing a game, some are while I'm just...