Windows 10: Desktop overlay for media not working on clean install of windows

Discus and support Desktop overlay for media not working on clean install of windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Basically my windows installation died i reinstalled windows Spotify and chrome it was working but after the 202h update and some security updates the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Amman Janjua, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Desktop overlay for media not working on clean install of windows

Basically my windows installation died i reinstalled windows Spotify and chrome it was working but after the 202h update and some security updates the overlay doesn't show

tried uninstalling updates

Rebooting PC

any more suggestion would be appreciated

:)

Amman Janjua, Dec 11, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Dec 11, 2020
  3. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Desktop overlay for media not working on clean install of windows

Clean installation of Windows 10 using installation media

Greetings. I am attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the instructions found at Reinstall Windows 10 .
    I was able to successfully create the installation media on a USB thumb drive. However, when I performed the steps for the actual installation I got up to the Use a device screen but my thumb drive does not appear on the list. The two options that do appear
    are: Onboard NIC (IPV4) and Onboard NIC (IPV6). Suggestions? Thanks.

TeddVanWagner, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Desktop overlay for media not working on clean install of windows

1. Desktop overlay for media not working on clean install of windows - Similar Threads - Desktop overlay media

2. Media Key Overlay

in Windows 10 Customization
    Media Key Overlay: Somewhere inside Windows, there must be a way to disable this feature entirely.I have disabled Hardware Media Key Handling like it's described everywhere,I have done this in both Google Chrome and Edge, however, when my phonesystem rings, the overlay is bach - its only gone...
  3. Abnormal behaviour on Windows Media Overlay

Abnormal behaviour on Windows Media Overlay: Greetings,My issue is as follows: Using media keys to control one source works as expected in most applications , excluding Spotify , where it only pops up if there is no focus on that window. However , when using multiple sources there seems to be a variety of issues.First...
  4. Windows Media Overlay & FPS drops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Overlay & FPS drops: Apologies if this is the wrong place! Recently (as of an update or two ago) I’m having an issue related to the windows media overlay (the rectangle in the top left when using the media keys that shows volume, now playing). It seems that for some reason whenever this...
  5. Media keys of a mouse not working on clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Media keys of a mouse not working on clean install of windows: Basically my windows installation died i reinstalled windows Spotify and chrome it was working but after the 202h update and some security updates I cant use my media keyswhich are on my mousered dragon M701A I have installed My mouse's drivers and have scoured the internet...
  6. Volume and media overlay is missing

Volume and media overlay is missing: Contrary to popular opinion, I use my media overlay a lot. I really like it. After a recent restart of my computer, it disappeared. The volume change buttons as well as the brightness ones still work, the overlay is just gone. Google has told me that most people have this...
  7. Windows media overlay isn't showing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows media overlay isn't showing: I used Iobit's driver booster to fix my audio problem, except it led to disabling the media overlay. It now bothers me that I can't pause or use my media keys for my music. Does anyone know how to bring it back? I tried disabling and enabling my sound drivers, but that didn't...
  8. Windows media control overlay not working properly

Windows media control overlay not working properly: I have this issue since I don't even know when I first noticed it. The stuff that comes up when you press volume in some windows programs whereby next to the volume there also come media control buttons. My problem is that the buttons are all square blocks. Otherwise they...
  9. Clean installation of Windows 10 using installation media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean installation of Windows 10 using installation media: Greetings. I am attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the instructions found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall . I was able to successfully create the installation media on a USB thumb drive. However, when I performed...
  10. Media keys stopped working after clean installing Windows 10

Media keys stopped working after clean installing Windows 10: Hello all. So I own an Asus Vivobook Pro laptop and I recently performed a clean install of Windows 10 and is now up to date with version 1903. However, I noticed that my media keys are now not responding at all when I use Spotify huge user or even for youtube videos in...