Windows 10: Desktop PC powers up on any key press - even after power unplugged

Discus and support Desktop PC powers up on any key press - even after power unplugged in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was visiting an elderly friend's yesterday evening and while there was doing some health checks on his PC. I found a most unusual issue. Having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tpriest, Dec 15, 2018.

1. tpriest Win User

Desktop PC powers up on any key press - even after power unplugged

I was visiting an elderly friend's yesterday evening and while there was doing some health checks on his PC. I found a most unusual issue.

Having powered down the PC, I happened to press a keyboard key and suddenly realised the PC was booting up.

After checking I found that even after closing down, removing the mains plug, then replacing the mains plug, any key depression is starting the boot process.

I checked the BIOS and the "start on key press" feature is disabled. To double check I enabled it, then disabled it. No difference.

The PC is a dealer built system, some 4-5 years old and is otherwise working fine. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H61MA-12V.

I've not seen this on any PC in the past. Any thoughts?

:)

tpriest, Dec 15, 2018
  2. Smitty W. Win User

Unplugging power cord and holding the power button. PC won't turn on

Okay so I attempted to fix a Windows 10 usb problem by following a month old forum. The instructions were:

1. Unplug the power cord from desktop computer.
    2. Hold in the on/off button for approx. 10 seconds until the light goes off. This kills the reserve power.
    3. Unplug all of your USB cords from the back of your machine as well as any flash drive or any other USB
      device that is plugged into your computer.
    4. Insert the power plug back into your computer and power it up. Allow it to completely load everything
      that it needs to before you do anything else.
    5. Now start plugging your USB devices back into your computer one at a time while waiting for them to
      indicate that they are recognized. Do this with each one of your devices until all have been recognized.
    6. Now right/click on computer or This PC and choose Manage / Device Manager /USB Serial Controllers and
      check to see if any of them have the yellow tag. They should not have if the problem is corrected.

Unfortunately I only got to Step 4, when I press the power button nothing turns on. So now I'm at a complete loss. The only thing that seems to turn on though, would be the lights to my led keyboard when I plug it in. Anyways, how do I fix/turn on my PC again?

Here's a link to the forum: SOLVED - Unknown USB device in Windows 10

Smitty W., Dec 15, 2018
  3. power on of its own upon pressing the power key of ups

Hi Dr. Naresh,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

What troubleshooting steps did you try to get the issue resolved?
    Please explain the exact issue that you're facing so that we may assist you better.

We need more information to determine the cause and provide the troubleshooting steps.

Try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter

• Open Control Panel.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

• In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

• Click on “Power”.

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 2:

It could be a compatibility issue with the new
      Fast Startup component

Try the below steps and check:

• Open Control Panel / Power Options.

• On the Left side menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.

• Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.

• Scroll down to the Shutdown settings section.

• Remove the check mark from the
      Turn on Fast Startup option.

• Select the Save Changes Button.

Shut Down the computer, wait a couple of minutes and then use the
      Power Button to start the computer.
    Method 3:

I would suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel.

• Click on the Power Options icon.

• Click on Change advanced power settings.

• Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan.”

Keep us posted if you face any issues on Windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Joy Kemprai, Dec 15, 2018
  4. Desktop PC powers up on any key press - even after power unplugged

Stuck in Reboot loop after power cut

Hi,

We understand your concern and appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in to fix the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to state which troubleshooting steps have you performed bedsides the mentioned to fix the issue.

As per the description, I suspect that you might be stuck in a reboot loop. I suggest that you perform Power Drain and check if it helps

• Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 30sec
    • Plug the charger/power cord and restart system

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

Desktop PC powers up on any key press - even after power unplugged

1. Desktop PC powers up on any key press - even after power unplugged - Similar Threads - Desktop powers key

2. My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...: My desktop PC randomly wakes from sleep on its own after a few minutes or so. Referring back to this thread, I checked the powercfg log using "powercfg -lastwake" run as admin in powershell. Curiously, this reports back withWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source...
  3. My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...: My desktop PC randomly wakes from sleep on its own after a few minutes or so. Referring back to this thread, I checked the powercfg log using "powercfg -lastwake" run as admin in powershell. Curiously, this reports back withWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source...
  4. BSDO after press power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSDO after press power button: Sometimes, after pressing power button, system didn't boot up.After several minutes. BSOD occurs.memory dump can be found below.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u5sNprlZnU2u9tgAi9IrYleR-0v0eTJl?usp=sharingCan someone help to check what cause this BSOD ?Thanks....
  5. Remote desktop freezes when power unpluged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop freezes when power unpluged: Hello,Windows 10 laptop, fully patched, plenty of RAM 64gb and running Defender laptop is corporate AAD joined. OS is the OEM provided by HP with the laptop, all drivers bundled and upgraded through the assistant tool, including firmwares.When working from home, I can work by...
  6. Remote desktop freezes when power unpluged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop freezes when power unpluged: Hello,Windows 10 laptop, fully patched, plenty of RAM 64gb and running Defender laptop is corporate AAD joined. OS is the OEM provided by HP with the laptop, all drivers bundled and upgraded through the assistant tool, including firmwares.When working from home, I can work by...
  7. Remote desktop freezes when power unpluged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. A powered USB hub still leaves the green light on even after I unplug the PC?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A powered USB hub still leaves the green light on even after I unplug the PC?: Hi, I have an HP PC with a powered USB hub; when I turn off the PC, the green light stays on in the back of the PC, but it still stays on after I unplug the power cord. But, when I unplug the power source from the USB hub, the green light on the back of the PC goes out. I got...
  9. Laptop turns on by pressing first any key on keyboard and then power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop turns on by pressing first any key on keyboard and then power button: My laptop turns on by presssing firdt any key on keyboard and then power button rather than power button directly and after it turns on then i have to hold any key on keyboard if i don't hold any key it turns off...
  10. Laptop turns on by pressing first any key on keyboard and then power button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop turns on by pressing first any key on keyboard and then power button: My laptop turns on by presssing firdt any key on keyboard and then power button rather than power button directly and after it turns on then i have to hold any key on keyboard if i don't hold any key it turns off...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc power settings to turn on pc even after it gets unplugged

2. how to power on computer by pressing any key