Windows 10: Desktop PC screen is dim until an app is opened

Discus and support Desktop PC screen is dim until an app is opened in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Note - This is not a laptop! The desktop icons, taskbar, etc. are dim until an app is opened, when they all get to 'normal' brightness. Close all apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnPuddifoot, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Desktop PC screen is dim until an app is opened

Note - This is not a laptop! The desktop icons, taskbar, etc. are dim until an app is opened, when they all get to 'normal' brightness. Close all apps and it all goes dim again. I've not used Win 10 on this computer for a while, but didn't notice it when I fired up this morning. I had several updates waiting to be loaded, including a couple with 1803 in the title. I cannot find reference to this 'feature' anywhere and cannot find a way to alter it in power settings or display. Any ideas?

:)

JohnPuddifoot, Nov 25, 2018

2. Dim Desktop Monitor when no windows open

I followed the steps you suggested. The troubleshooter noted and made two changes. It changed the Power Plan from High Performance to Balanced and it reduced the screen turn off time from 30 minutes to 10 minutes. After rebooting, the same problem occurs.
    No change to the screen dimming.

I did notice that, among the items that it checked but did not change was, "Time before display dims is too long" . However, I cannot find anywhere that I can set the time before the display dims. The only display options under PowerOptions>Edit Plan Settings>Advanced
    Settings>+Display are to set the time before the display turns off and enabling adaptive brightness.

NeilSantos, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Fool Win User
    How to dim screen?

I tried googling Windows Ten, "how to dim screen," but the layout listed is not the layout I have. I just got Ten yesterday. How do you dim the screen?

I can't even find the options in the Display section.

4. Desktop PC screen is dim until an app is opened

Dim screen Win 10?

Have read the blogs. Windows 10 needs to make it EASY for people to dim their screen. This is my 3rd Toshiba laptop and it was easy to adjust the screen on all 3 including this one, until windows 10. Will buy a new laptop without Win 10 before I'll go
    through all the steps to dim screen in win 10 that is listed in the blogs I've read. I did stall an APP that helped but screen still hurts my eyes and creates a headache. Anybody have an EASY answer. It was so easy to work with DOS and windows 3.1. It's been
    a pain for a lot of people ever since they came up with the REGISTRY. Thanks people.

RandyFilion, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Desktop PC screen is dim until an app is opened

1. Desktop PC screen is dim until an app is opened - Similar Threads - Desktop screen dim

2. Apps and desktop getting dimmed if not selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps and desktop getting dimmed if not selected: If I am using two or more tabs/windows side by side on the laptop monitor only no other devices connected on a split screen, except the tab I am using everything else gets dimmed. If I click on desktop, only then everything gets bright, but once I click on one tab, all the...
  3. Apps and desktop getting dimmed if not selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps and desktop getting dimmed if not selected: If I am using two or more tabs/windows side by side on the laptop monitor only no other devices connected on a split screen, except the tab I am using everything else gets dimmed. If I click on desktop, only then everything gets bright, but once I click on one tab, all the...
  4. screen dimming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen dimming: Screen dimming wont turn off when I have split tabs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-dimming/58c5a185-c1e2-4a9f-bf5f-7aa1d3d0be1d
  5. Screen will dim when open another window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen will dim when open another window: Hi there, Can anyone help me to fix my problem. I did not why my screen will be like that, it happened few week ago and then I try to restore and it back to normal. Last few day there got a message ask me to update the window and I did, so the problem back again. Thank you...
  6. Screen will dim when open another window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen will dim when open another window: Hi there, Can anyone help me to fix my problem. I did not why my screen will be like that, it happened few week ago and then I try to restore and it back to normal. Last few day there got a message ask me to update the window and I did, so the problem back again. Thank you...
  7. Screen Dimming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen Dimming: Hello, Ever since a few days ago, the screen brightness on my Surface Laptop keeps reducing to the minimum. I have turned off automatic adjustment to brightness in the Display section in Settings, and still this keeps happening. The brightness indicator on the top left of...
  8. Screen auto dimming on DESKTOP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen auto dimming on DESKTOP: Been having issues in the recent day with a new issue on my PC, im not to tech saavy, but know basics.... My setup is as follows: VG248qe as main panel Roku tv used as second display via hdmi My issue is is that my second panel and ONLY my second panel dims when...
  9. Auto dim screen on a desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto dim screen on a desktop?: So at night my screen feels very bright and ya know, more blue light = less sleepy or harder to sleep when I go to bed. I use flu.x (makes your screen warmer colours) and dark reader (night mode for chrome) to help but is there a way I can make my screen brightness actually...
  10. dimming the screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dimming the screen: I'd like to lower the brightness even further than the display options show. My slider is all the way to the left. It would be great if there was a slider that could lower it all the way to black, as the screen is still far too bright. -Zach...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. office apps are opening with dim screen

2. windows 10 desktop dims when not in use