Windows 10: Desktop PC shuts down instead of gong to sleep

Discus and support Desktop PC shuts down instead of gong to sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10, version 20H2 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Board: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX (MS-7B84) Video card: nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 My desktop PC often shuts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by timrath, Jul 25, 2021.

1. timrath Win User

Desktop PC shuts down instead of gong to sleep

OS: Windows 10, version 20H2 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Board: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX (MS-7B84) Video card: nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 My desktop PC often shuts down when I tell it to sleep. It happens about every other time. One day it will go to sleep, the next day it will shut down. There is no pattern that I can see. It's unpredictable. This has started a few months ago. Before that, sleep had always worked reliably. The strange thing is, when it shuts down, it doesn't do it in the same way that it would if I had deliberately shut it down. A normal shutdown takes 1-2 seconds. But the shutdown that occurs whenever it fails to sleep, takes around 5 minutes. When this unauthorised shutdown occurs, the screen goes black, the video card, mouse and keyboard shut down, the disk drives cease their activity (the LED behind the power button does not flash like it does when the disk drive is reading/writing), but the power supply and some fans stay on. Eventually, after several minutes, the power supply shuts down as well. After such a shutdown, the computer can be reactivated normally with the power button. It boots normally, without errors or delays. The Windows Event Viewer lists no irregularities at time of the freak shutdown. I looked at the windows/minidump folder, but all the files in it were created when the computer was booting up, not when it was shutting down. I don't know if they can be of any help here. I downloaded and executed Problem_Devices.bat from this site. It said that there are no problems with any devices. My video card driver is up to date. My Windows is updated regularly. Hibernate is deactivated via powergfc. I recently made sure that it is still deactivated. (And I am aware of the differences between Sleep and Hibernate.) This may be confirmation bias, but it seems that these freak shutdowns occur mainly at night. Freak shutdowns never occur spontaneously, but only when I select Sleep from the start menu. There are definitely no power outages. I used the native troubleshooter of Windows, and it did find no errors. I looked into BIOS several times, to see if some settings are off, but everything appears normal. What I have NOT done, is update BIOS, because I'm afraid of screwing it up beyond repair. I would only consider it as a last resort. A wipe and clean install of Windows is also out of the question, because I'd rather live with my current problem than have to redo all the settings and lose any assorted data that slipped through backup.

:)

timrath, Jul 25, 2021
  2. David Haz Win User

Computer shuts down instead of going in to sleep mode

Hello,

You may put your device to Sleep by following the steps here in

Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC
    and see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Jul 25, 2021
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    PC persists in shutting down instead of going to sleep.

Hello,

The reason why your Dell notebook shuts down instead of it going to sleep is because of the settings on your system. Kindly check this

link
    . In here, is a thread with the same issue but it has been answered by one my colleagues named
    ThofikhAhamad.

If the problem still persists after doing all of these troubleshooting steps, we suggest that we perform a clean boot for us to verify that there's no third party utility installed causing conflict on your power settings. Here's an

article
    for you to check how to perform it.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Jul 25, 2021
  4. Desktop PC shuts down instead of gong to sleep

Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping

Since October (the October update, I think), my computer is shutting down instead of sleeping. Trouble shooter or other solutions I have found here not working. (Reason #465 I wish I could have control over these awful updates.)

Suggestions?

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1803 Build 17134.471

Dell XPS 9530

IAMOPERAFLUTE, Jul 25, 2021
Thema:

Desktop PC shuts down instead of gong to sleep

1. Desktop PC shuts down instead of gong to sleep - Similar Threads - Desktop shuts down

2. Laptop shuts down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleeping: HelloMy laptop keeps shutting down when I want it to sleep. Closing the lid, pressing the power button both are set to make it go to sleep and clicking on the sleep button from the start menu all make it shut down and I only notice that it has shut down when I fire it back up...
  3. Laptop shuts down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleeping: HelloMy laptop keeps shutting down when I want it to sleep. Closing the lid, pressing the power button both are set to make it go to sleep and clicking on the sleep button from the start menu all make it shut down and I only notice that it has shut down when I fire it back up...
  4. Laptop shuts down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  6. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  7. PC Shutting Down Instead of Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Shutting Down Instead of Sleep: Lately I've been noticing that most of the time when my PC goes to sleep, it ends up shutting down. Windows and my Nvidia drivers are up to date if that makes a difference, 20H2 and 457.09. Has anyone else started experiencing this or know any way to fix it? Thanks!...
  8. PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep: I have put my computer to sleep every night for years and all the sudden it will not go to sleep any more. When I'm done with my work, I go to start > (power icon) > sleep and the screen goes black. Usually at this point a couple seconds later the fans would stop and the...
  9. PC shutting down instead of sleeping

PC shutting down instead of sleeping: Hi, I recently changed the SSD on my ASUS UX430UN and upgraded it to a Crucial 1Tb SSD. I have GRUB to handle dual boot Windows and Linux. When using Windows, often the pc will shut down after going to sleep requiring to hold the power button to hard restart it, or it will...
  10. Computer shuts down instead of sleep

Computer shuts down instead of sleep: I've been having this issue where instead of the computer going to sleep, it shuts down instead. I've reinstalled BIOS, reinstalled Windows 10, disabled fast startup, none has worked. Checked my disk with HD Tune Error Scan Short Generic Long Generic Event Viewer...