Windows 10: Desktop pc will not go to sleep.

Discus and support Desktop pc will not go to sleep. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 All-in-one that will not go into sleep mode--manually or automatically after a designated period of time. I have adjusted all of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Grandpa Jim, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Desktop pc will not go to sleep.

I have a Windows 10 All-in-one that will not go into sleep mode--manually or automatically after a designated period of time. I have adjusted all of the regularly suggested Advanced Power Settings: Wake timers enabled and disabled. "Allow the computer to sleep" and "Prevent idling to sleep."The power troubleshooter found no problems. Two laptops with identical settings always go immediately to sleep when the lid is closed. Never a problem. Can anyone tell me why this happens and how to fix it?

:)

Grandpa Jim, Mar 25, 2022

2. Sleep

Hi,

This may happen due to its power plan. A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how computers use and conserve power. For this, we suggest that you reset and restore power plans to its default. kindly follow these steps:

• Open the Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press
      Enter
      :
      • powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart your PC to apply the changes.

After that, go to Power & sleep settings
    by typing it into the Windows Search. Check the When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after
    settings is set to Never.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Mar 25, 2022
  3. jaydub Win User
    Trouble Putting PC to Sleep

I finally determined what the cause of my PC waking up right after I invoke sleep function Start > Power > Sleep. I recently purchased a Velocifire wireless (2.4ghz) keyboard that also comes with a USB cord so it can be used in corded mode. When used in corded mode, sleeping the PC is not a problem. When I use the wireless dongle, the PC refuses to sleep for more than a second. So, the wireless mode of this keyboard is what triggers the problem. In addition to the things I've tried in my original post, here are the results of some suggestions you guys made:
    • Created a new fake user and logged in under than user. Same behavior.
    • Started PC in Safe Mode. Unfortunately, in Safe Mode sleep functions are limited to the monitor and hard drives. Nothing to put the PC to sleep.
    • Tried going into sleep via Alt + F4. Same behavior.
    • powercfg -a reports S3 is active on my system.
    There are no obvious irregularities in Device Manager. The dongle shows up under USB Serial Bus Controllers as a USB Composite Device.
    • General Tab says "This device is working properly".
    • In Driver Tab, I tried searching for a better driver, but Windows says there is no better driver.
    • There is no Power Management tab.
    So as it turns out, all of things I've tried appear to have been a waste of time as it was not addressing the wireless function of the keyboard. I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested that I delete the USB Composite Device entry, re-boot and re-insert the dongle. However, that did not change inability to sleep the PC.

Any other ideas?

jaydub, Mar 25, 2022
  4. Desktop pc will not go to sleep.

SLEEP ON DESKTOP

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having issues with the sleep mode feature on the PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the user account configured on the PC? (Microsoft account/local account)
    • What happen to the opened apps, does it close or minimize?
    • What is the KB number of the recent update installed, prior to this issue? (Settings>Updates & Security>Windows Updates>Update history)

Meanwhile we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if that fix the issue.

Method 1: Run the troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + I to launch Windows Settings.
    2. Select Updates and Security and click on Troubleshooter.
    3. Look for Power troubleshooter and select it.
    4. Click on Run the Troubleshooter and follow the onscreen steps.

Method 2: Restore the power plan to default.

1. Press Windows + R key from the keyboard to launch Run command.
    2. Type control panel and click Ok.
    3. Select Power Option and click on Change plan settings under Balance
    4. Click on Restore default setting for this plan.
    5. Restart the PC and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 25, 2022
Thema:

Desktop pc will not go to sleep.

1. Desktop pc will not go to sleep. - Similar Threads - Desktop sleep

2. Windows 11 - Disable sleep mode when remote desktop control is active?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Disable sleep mode when remote desktop control is active?: Hello, I had an embarrassing situation today when I was connected to remote desktop when Windows automatically went to sleep. This created a problem with logging in again and I had to solve it through another device. It works now, but the main thing is that it wouldn't have...
  3. Windows 11 - Disable sleep mode when remote desktop control is active?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Disable sleep mode when remote desktop control is active?: Hello, I had an embarrassing situation today when I was connected to remote desktop when Windows automatically went to sleep. This created a problem with logging in again and I had to solve it through another device. It works now, but the main thing is that it wouldn't have...
  4. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  5. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  6. I cannot wake up always my Dell SFF Plus 7010 desktop from sleep. I tried different things...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot wake up always my Dell SFF Plus 7010 desktop from sleep. I tried different things...: I cannot wake up always my Dell SFF Plus 7010 desktop from sleep, by moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. I tried different things in the Device Settings to no avail. I am on the latest version of Windows 11....
  7. I cannot wake up always my Dell SFF Plus 7010 desktop from sleep. I tried different things...

I cannot wake up always my Dell SFF Plus 7010 desktop from sleep. I tried different things...: I cannot wake up always my Dell SFF Plus 7010 desktop from sleep, by moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. I tried different things in the Device Settings to no avail. I am on the latest version of Windows 11....
  8. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  9. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.” However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go to sleep for hours. I ran the power...
  10. Desktop does not sleep after 15 minutes