Windows 10: Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

Discus and support Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The PC industry worldwide sold 136 million desktop PCs last year, along with 160 million traditional notebooks driven by keyboards and touchpads. Those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

Read more at: Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? | ZDNet

Brink, Jul 15, 2014
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

For those who are still pushing the desktop these are some sweet numbers. . .

:)

3. Is dynamicdownloads.tweakbits.com a SAFE site?

I was pointed to this site to get HP OFFICEJET G85 PRINTER DRIVER.

Is dynamicdownloads.tweakbits.com a SAFE site?

I don't want to endanger my new Lenovo H30-05 Desktop.

Richard SATX, Jul 15, 2014
  4. Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

Windows update error (0x80070422)

desktop-ltdglo7, Jul 15, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Things like the Surface pro 3 and other "convertibles" have given the PC market a new lease of life -- INTEL posted better than expected results too confirming the trend.
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/15/int...enue-of-13-8b/

"There's plenty of life in the Old Dog yet".

Actually I find the Surface Pro 3 far better suited to business than the iPad (apple getting together with IBM to develop business apps). ONE device can cover all I need to do -- and with the docking station and a good external monitor it's just as good (if not better) than a traditional "average spec'd" work laptop or old ancient desktop.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 15, 2014
  6. I still like the uncompromising performance of a nice desktop though. But I think that a desktop OS will become a niche product for those of us into content creation (my thing is audio mixing). I actually am starting to anticipate Windows 9 and I'd like to see what it brings.

Jody Thornton, Jul 15, 2014
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Have to agree with you on this one Jim. My oldest Son travel a great deal in his work, and just changed to the Surface Pro 3. He says it is far better then carrying around a 17" screen laptop.

8. gator Win User

Honestly, I don't see myself ever converting fully to laptop/tablets. I'll be that 80 year old still clinging to his desktop 50 years down the road. I don't feel like I can get anything done with a laptop or tablet.

gator, Jul 21, 2014
  9. Hi Guys

I really don't get Microsoft's thinking, there are close to 2 billion PCs in the world.

Many of them are used by businesses to do Graphic Design, Spread Sheets, Video Editing, and a zillion other things you can't do easily or at all on a pad.

A large number, (half the people I know) use their computer for gaming.

What do they think all of those people are going to do?

In a way it's like they are trying to force people who want a desktop to go to Apple.

Sure there are going to be a lot of pad computers, I have an iPad myself.
    Because of that I'm fully aware of what you can't do with a pad.

I'm not exaggerating when I say you can't run Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign or Premiere on a pad style computer that doesn't have a keyboard and mouse, and it's pretty hard to find any pad that would have the power to run any of these anyway.

The closest would be a new Surface 3 and they cost as much as a much better performing desktop.

I can't carry my PC around and take picture and video with it, but I can't edit the stuff afterwards without it.

They just don't serve the same purpose, and they need different operating systems.
    I don't see why they didn't figure that out before Windows 8 was released.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Jul 30, 2014
  10. jimjoe Win User
    I use my desktop for making maps with Campaign Cartographer and playing Everquest, my laptop just doesn't work well for that.

But desktop sales are down from things I have read the past 2 years.

jimjoe, Aug 4, 2014
  11. azasadny Win User
    Most of the people who stopped buying PC's should probably have never bought one in the 1st place...

azasadny, Aug 6, 2014
  12. jimjoe Win User
    Well, you can only buy what is available. No functional starships, so I haven't bought one of those either.

jimjoe, Aug 7, 2014
  13. LEE
    Lee Win User

As to the starships that is true, albeit as to computers it isn't. If you cannot find what you are looking for then there are two other avenues you can follow: 1) order one form a manufacture the way you would like it or, 2) build your own.

14. jimjoe Win User
    I meant to say 'what is technically available'.

jimjoe, Aug 8, 2014
  15. bigseb Win User
    I agree. Don't know what its like in the rest of the world but here in SA PCs aren't even advertised any more. Not in the brochures, nothing. And I guess that's because the average user just need one in the age of tablets, etc.

However many need a proper desktop PC. I do CAD, just not practical on a tablet. There are many other jobs (some listed in this thread) that require desktops. Then there all the gamers. Ordering a PC to spec or building your is definitely the way to go...

On a side note, did anyone actually watch the 3 hour youtube video?

bigseb, Aug 19, 2014
Thema:

1. Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? - Similar Threads - Desktop PCs desktop

2. Problems with Login On Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Login On Desktop PCs: Good Day to everybodySince we changed computers we have on those computers problem with userprofile-service In Windows 11. When a user is starting the computer and tries to login he get the message "Fehler bei Anmeldung des Dienstes Benutzerprofildienst. Das Benutzerprofi...
  3. Problems with Login On Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Login On Desktop PCs: Good Day to everybodySince we changed computers we have on those computers problem with userprofile-service In Windows 11. When a user is starting the computer and tries to login he get the message "Fehler bei Anmeldung des Dienstes Benutzerprofildienst. Das Benutzerprofi...
  4. One account multiple PCs, different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One account multiple PCs, different desktops: I have a new tablet. I want the desktop to be different than my main PC. Right now, it has copied all the shortcuts to the new tablet and if I delete them, it says it will delete them on all desktops. Please let me know my options....
  5. One account multiple PCs, different desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One account multiple PCs, different desktops: I have a new tablet. I want the desktop to be different than my main PC. Right now, it has copied all the shortcuts to the new tablet and if I delete them, it says it will delete them on all desktops. Please let me know my options....
  6. Different Windows PCs Show Each Other's Desktop Icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different Windows PCs Show Each Other's Desktop Icons?: I have just updated my Windows 10 to the latest version December 11, 2020. I have 2 different PCs on the same home network - one used for work, one for music - both of which I log in on with the same password. Now my music PC's desktop shows some of my work PC's desktop icons...
  7. NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs: Hi I have an iGPU and dGPU in my desktop PC. I want to have the NVIDIA Optimus Configuration where the iGPU works for normal browsing and surfing tasks, and dGPU kicks in when doing GPU intensive tasks i.e. gaming, video editing, AI programs. I have plugged my display into...
  8. Why are my PCs swapping desktop wallpaper?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are my PCs swapping desktop wallpaper?: I sign in to my pc at home with my Microsoft ID. Although set up with my ID my work pc signs in with a PIN. Lately I'll come in to work, fire up my pc and behold, the desktop wallpaper is the image I have up on the one at home. Then, I'll set it back to a different image...
  9. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network: All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networked-laptop-not-discoverable-by-2-desktop-pcs/5f811814-77a9-4028-842d-e8bc6069e86b
  10. hostile alterations of windows 10 endangering human life.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hostile alterations of windows 10 endangering human life.: windows 10 repeatedly continues to take control of my computer and perform automatic updates! Each time this happens my Sonar system fails to start or crashes if it is running! Each time this happens we lose valuable data that cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce!...