Windows 10: Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

Discus and support Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; You took it out of context, ma'am. Point that I tried to make: people buy 747's where a bicycle would be just as fine. Why a 747? Prolly because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Xogroroth Win User

Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

You took it out of context, ma'am.
    Point that I tried to make: people buy 747's where a bicycle would be just as fine.
    Why a 747?
    Prolly because someone has it as well, or "I have something even better (read: more expensive) than you."
    See, I do not care about all that, but it screws up with the rest of us that actually think logical/practical.
    I do not need a 747 for something that I can do with my bicycle.
    I still have this Ericson, which performs marvelous.

But here the opposite starts to happen: I run this Rolls Royce, and the mechanic wants to turn it into a frikkin mini cooper.
    I have absolutely no interest in Metro'ish garbage?
    I do not want a taskbar with limitations?
    Hell, I want no clutter on my desktop.

I have this 3000 euro machine, and they turn it into a "device".... (as in IPad).
    No, thank you.

PS: I do not call anyone moron, but things happen that ain't normal.
    A friend bought this Ferrari KNOWING he can't use it for what it's meant to be used: sportslike.
    THAT is just a WASTE of good money right there.
    Yes, HE is a moron (and yes he knows I call him this, I do that in his face as well.)

Xogroroth, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Xogroroth Win User

If you know that hardcore gamers don't really use a floptop, not to mention an IPhone for gaming, then we're still safe.
    Gamers can't use but a decent platform, this being restricted to a desktop, still.
    Thank God for that.

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  3. fjk61011 Win User
    I'll be still clinging to my Original IBM PC 5150 still running with IBM PC DOS 1.0, with Donkey coded by Bill Gates.

fjk61011, Jul 30, 2015
  4. owensdj Win User

Desktops won't go away. There will always be a range of devices with a mix of speed and portability, and we will pick the one(s) that fit our needs. Whatever device you pick, it can run Windows 10!

owensdj, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Xogroroth Win User
    But why do they turn my PC!!!! into a frikken "device"?
    Why do they turn my system into a bloody cell phone?
    They removed power out of the poweruser.
    God.

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Wenda Win User
    Should take this laptop for a spin - it has no issues being either a very powerful laptop or a mid-range+ 'desktop'. It's even upgradeable to a greater extent than your average lappie.

The one drawback - it was VERY expensive at the time of purchase. I love it though.

Wenda, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Xogroroth Win User
    That's another thing: for the price of a good floptop, one can buy one heck of a desktop.
    Well, buy the parts, and assemble it yourself, is what I did to save out even more and turn that into even better gear. *Smile

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

Not only that, but the older we get, the older our eyes get. Looking at my 17" laptop screen is bad enough; ain't no way I can really see the 15.6" laptop screen! I have a 13.6" Android tablet, but don't use it all that much because of the very small screen size.

Now, with this 23" monitor on my desktop . . . at least I can see the screen. I really would like for my font to be darker, though.

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    And where did choice go? Out the window because someone else knows better than I?

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Xogroroth Win User
    Imagine this: you play this ancient Samurai movie (Zatoichi as example?) with the original Japanese sound, and English subs, on a IPhone...
    I wonder how many will be able to actually read them subs.

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    *Ditto*Ditto*Ditto*Ditto

Let those who want use 'droid tablets, iPads or even laptops. Leave the rest of us alone!

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Wynona Win User
    I think they're trying to, Mark, but I'm not listening. *Smile

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Xogroroth Win User

AMEN!
    (Do see it as Pinhead, just before his demise in Hellraiser 4: Bloodlines, as effect)

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  14. Wynona Win User
    One thing this thread has brought out is the possibility of "upgrading" laptops and tablets. *Smile

I have been using 'droid tablets for a couple of years and have "upgraded" them to a Logitech bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse. The keyboard will handle three tablets.

The thing is, though, that if one "upgrades" all these (in my opinion) inferior products to desktop quality, more has been spent on the peripherals than would have been spent on a nice desktop machine.

Further, when the graphics went out in my HP laptop a few months back, the whole thing was toast. Not so with a desktop! Just replace or add (if it was onboard) a graphics card and you're good to go.

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  15. Xogroroth Win User
    Exactly.
    Want a bigger HD? Swap it out or add one.
    Better video card? Try that one in a floptop or a "device" heh....
    In a desktop, YOU are the master.

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? - Similar Threads - Desktop PCs desktop

2. Problems with Login On Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Login On Desktop PCs: Good Day to everybodySince we changed computers we have on those computers problem with userprofile-service In Windows 11. When a user is starting the computer and tries to login he get the message "Fehler bei Anmeldung des Dienstes Benutzerprofildienst. Das Benutzerprofi...
  3. Problems with Login On Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Login On Desktop PCs: Good Day to everybodySince we changed computers we have on those computers problem with userprofile-service In Windows 11. When a user is starting the computer and tries to login he get the message "Fehler bei Anmeldung des Dienstes Benutzerprofildienst. Das Benutzerprofi...
  4. One account multiple PCs, different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One account multiple PCs, different desktops: I have a new tablet. I want the desktop to be different than my main PC. Right now, it has copied all the shortcuts to the new tablet and if I delete them, it says it will delete them on all desktops. Please let me know my options....
  5. One account multiple PCs, different desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One account multiple PCs, different desktops: I have a new tablet. I want the desktop to be different than my main PC. Right now, it has copied all the shortcuts to the new tablet and if I delete them, it says it will delete them on all desktops. Please let me know my options....
  6. Different Windows PCs Show Each Other's Desktop Icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different Windows PCs Show Each Other's Desktop Icons?: I have just updated my Windows 10 to the latest version December 11, 2020. I have 2 different PCs on the same home network - one used for work, one for music - both of which I log in on with the same password. Now my music PC's desktop shows some of my work PC's desktop icons...
  7. NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs: Hi I have an iGPU and dGPU in my desktop PC. I want to have the NVIDIA Optimus Configuration where the iGPU works for normal browsing and surfing tasks, and dGPU kicks in when doing GPU intensive tasks i.e. gaming, video editing, AI programs. I have plugged my display into...
  8. Why are my PCs swapping desktop wallpaper?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are my PCs swapping desktop wallpaper?: I sign in to my pc at home with my Microsoft ID. Although set up with my ID my work pc signs in with a PIN. Lately I'll come in to work, fire up my pc and behold, the desktop wallpaper is the image I have up on the one at home. Then, I'll set it back to a different image...
  9. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network: All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networked-laptop-not-discoverable-by-2-desktop-pcs/5f811814-77a9-4028-842d-e8bc6069e86b
  10. hostile alterations of windows 10 endangering human life.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hostile alterations of windows 10 endangering human life.: windows 10 repeatedly continues to take control of my computer and perform automatic updates! Each time this happens my Sonar system fails to start or crashes if it is running! Each time this happens we lose valuable data that cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce!...