Windows 10: Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

Discus and support Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I think that the sales of desktops are likely to be lower because they are expected to last for years. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 15, 2014.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species?

I think that the sales of desktops are likely to be lower because they are expected to last for years.

tinmar49, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Wynona Win User

As a matter of history, Lady Fitzgerald, one of the first "computers" I worked on was a Xerox Word Processor. On the keyboard there was a round disk-like thing that you stroked to get to where you wanted to place the cursor when you wanted to change something in the text. I still don't know why they called it a mouse unless it was because it skittered all over the page when stroked. *Smile

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Xogroroth Win User
    My first was a Nortstar 1980, or I believe it was a 1980...
    Had a HUGE floppy at the side, not even a HD... heh...

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Wynona Win User

Yeah, we saved everything onto an 8" floppy disk! Hard drives in that era were around 5 MB or smaller. And . . . around $200.00!

Wynona, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Xogroroth Win User
    Yeah, in 1986 I had this Amiga 500 with a PC board, to run both Amiga and PC...
    It had a 40MB HD.
    Friends asked me if I was insane: "You cannot EVER fill that thing up." they said.
    Now, a decent photo is that size, lol

Xogroroth, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Wenda Win User
    Well, actually you CAN, with this one.

It's by no means quick or easy, but it's doable.

Wenda, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    Normally I don't do laptops, but I had a laptop in for repair once and found a large burn in the center of the mobo. Owner told me to keep it, so I decided to see what I could do with it. Eensy teensy screws by the gazillions!

I can add RAM, add a hard drive, even a DVD drive, but forget the rest of it!

Wynona, Jul 31, 2015
  8. groze Win User

An all-ones-desktop does pretty good on noise-my experience. All-One-desktops also have a higher temperature threshold then other desktops according to the specs. Not sure if it has a lower temperature threshold as well. They cool fine. All-one-desktop is like a cross between a laptop and a desktop.

groze, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Xogroroth Win User
    It actually depends on the case.
    Many use this normal towerlike case, I do not: I run a cube case.
    The system is on the left side, has it's own cooling, the DVD, HD and card-reader are on the right side, also with it's own cooling.
    Yes it takes more room, but the additional space, and cooling form is beyond anything else...
    Right now I have 4x4tb storage drives, a 500MB system drive, my virtual memory is on one of the 4TB drives (a separate 126MB partition), 2 DVD stations, a card reader... and STILL room for 5 more drive type items....
    The system side can take ANY motherboard with ANY vid card system (sizewise).
    Cube case rules...

Xogroroth, Jul 31, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Whether a Classical desktop or a laptop / convertible the keyboard / mouse / "Desktop" type applications aren't going away.

While obviously mobile phones and "Slabs / Slates" have changed the way people interact with the Internet the public's love affair with tablets is definitely on the wane.

There are just so many things you can do where you need a sensible computer to perform the tasks.

Example - In Iceland there's some pretty detailed Volcanic activity monitoring taking place --remember the total chaos to flying that happened when in 2010 Eyjafjallajökull erupted.

You need a decently rugged PC with some quite sophisticated hardware when people are out in the field. Some of the Maths calculations need a LOT of serious processing time too whether these are done on site or "Back at Base" on a bigger multi-processor machine.

Also nobody can tell me that editing and manipulating great chunks of text can be done easily without a mouse -- and try and do ANY video editing on a Slab. !!

The PC is NOT an endangered species -- a lot of people who had PC's in the past probably didn't need them -- however the PC market HAS stabilised and if anything is showing a slight increase.

@ Tablet lovers -- Try and run a Forum like this one on a tablet with even THREE users !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Fires Win User
    I have decided to use Eyjafjallajökull as my on-line banking password. Un-crackable...

Fires, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Antilope Win User
    Kind of like saying the smartphone will replace the home theater. Yes you can watch videos or listen to music on both, but it's not the same thing.

Antilope, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Wynona Win User

O . . . K Y'know, it I were you, I'd add a couple more things such as ~, %, !, just to be sure it's really uncrackable. *What

Be sure to let us know if you choose to do this, and especially what characters you added. *Smile

Wynona, Jul 31, 2015
  14. fjk61011 Win User
    Now we're all going to hack into your bank account. *Smile

fjk61011, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Xogroroth Win User
    How can we: it's uncrackable!

Xogroroth, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? - Similar Threads - Desktop PCs desktop

2. Problems with Login On Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Login On Desktop PCs: Good Day to everybodySince we changed computers we have on those computers problem with userprofile-service In Windows 11. When a user is starting the computer and tries to login he get the message "Fehler bei Anmeldung des Dienstes Benutzerprofildienst. Das Benutzerprofi...
  3. Problems with Login On Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Login On Desktop PCs: Good Day to everybodySince we changed computers we have on those computers problem with userprofile-service In Windows 11. When a user is starting the computer and tries to login he get the message "Fehler bei Anmeldung des Dienstes Benutzerprofildienst. Das Benutzerprofi...
  4. One account multiple PCs, different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One account multiple PCs, different desktops: I have a new tablet. I want the desktop to be different than my main PC. Right now, it has copied all the shortcuts to the new tablet and if I delete them, it says it will delete them on all desktops. Please let me know my options....
  5. One account multiple PCs, different desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One account multiple PCs, different desktops: I have a new tablet. I want the desktop to be different than my main PC. Right now, it has copied all the shortcuts to the new tablet and if I delete them, it says it will delete them on all desktops. Please let me know my options....
  6. Different Windows PCs Show Each Other's Desktop Icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different Windows PCs Show Each Other's Desktop Icons?: I have just updated my Windows 10 to the latest version December 11, 2020. I have 2 different PCs on the same home network - one used for work, one for music - both of which I log in on with the same password. Now my music PC's desktop shows some of my work PC's desktop icons...
  7. NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs: Hi I have an iGPU and dGPU in my desktop PC. I want to have the NVIDIA Optimus Configuration where the iGPU works for normal browsing and surfing tasks, and dGPU kicks in when doing GPU intensive tasks i.e. gaming, video editing, AI programs. I have plugged my display into...
  8. Why are my PCs swapping desktop wallpaper?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are my PCs swapping desktop wallpaper?: I sign in to my pc at home with my Microsoft ID. Although set up with my ID my work pc signs in with a PIN. Lately I'll come in to work, fire up my pc and behold, the desktop wallpaper is the image I have up on the one at home. Then, I'll set it back to a different image...
  9. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network: All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networked-laptop-not-discoverable-by-2-desktop-pcs/5f811814-77a9-4028-842d-e8bc6069e86b
  10. hostile alterations of windows 10 endangering human life.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hostile alterations of windows 10 endangering human life.: windows 10 repeatedly continues to take control of my computer and perform automatic updates! Each time this happens my Sonar system fails to start or crashes if it is running! Each time this happens we lose valuable data that cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce!...