Windows 10: Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot

Discus and support Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please note, this has nothing to do with resolution settings. I like to set my display up with my browser window open at the right of the screen and,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MaryHelmers, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot

Please note, this has nothing to do with resolution settings. I like to set my display up with my browser window open at the right of the screen and, using the arrows, pulled down to the top of the task bar, and File Explorer and other programs often shown on the right. Since the last update, when the computer reboots, everything returns to the default position of being piled up on the left of the screen and at a size different from the one I adjusted using the arrows.

How to I keep this from happening, so I do not have to re-do everything every time I come back to the computer. And it restarts several times a day. Is this normal?

:)

MaryHelmers, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 17, 2019
  3. trying to profile my monitor with the idisplay pro is not working, returns Win10 opening desktop

I have been trying to profile my monitor with the idisplay pro I can go thru all the steps but when it actually starts profiling by showing the red full screen, the windows 10 screen returns and screws up the profile any suggestions on how to disable
    this startup? Thanks

OP - Win10 opening desktop returns

Tsuther102, Mar 17, 2019
  4. kormath Win User

Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot

1. Desktop placement of open windows returns to default on reboot - Similar Threads - Desktop placement open

2. Each time I reboot my computer default applications return to the Microsoft default apps....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Each time I reboot my computer default applications return to the Microsoft default apps....: I hope someone has a positive solution that works to help. Each time I reboot my computer the default applications return to Microsoft default apps. I have tried using all of the cleanup methods in cmd administrator.Nothing works. Any positive fixes would surely be...
  3. Each time I reboot my computer default applications return to the Microsoft default apps....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Each time I reboot my computer default applications return to the Microsoft default apps....: I hope someone has a positive solution that works to help. Each time I reboot my computer the default applications return to Microsoft default apps. I have tried using all of the cleanup methods in cmd administrator.Nothing works. Any positive fixes would surely be...
  4. desktop icon placement

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icon placement: have windows 10 on desktop computer; desktop icons won't stay where i want to place them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-placement/fb04adfa-5fb8-485a-a552-64bea6d55e4b
  5. returning to desktop

returning to desktop: I am running Windows 10. When it was installed, I vaguely remember something about a "great" new feature, whereby moving the mouse/cursor to the far right would return you to the desktop. I hate this feature, but don't know how to turn it off. Frequently, when working in...
  6. settings return to default with reboot/startup

settings return to default with reboot/startup: This started on the morning of Oct 21 at 8a central. The most recent Windows updates were installed Sep 30. Upon each reboot/startup, everything on the machine reverts to default setting: time/date format display settings all apps default back to the original app...
  7. cursor returns to default

cursor returns to default: hi every time after restart or boot the cursor returns to default instead of what I had before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-returns-to-default/151e0e64-169a-407e-aa83-a686b5ab53c1
  8. Desktop symbol placement

Desktop symbol placement: I WANT TO PLace symbols in a certain pattern that is prevented by predetermined lines. How do I solve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-symbol-placement/3cf4e89c-3238-44f7-af2b-c179c09aae1f
  9. Return Desktop Icon size to default

Return Desktop Icon size to default: The desktop icon size suddenly increased by a factor of 4. How do I return them to the default size https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/return-desktop-icon-size-to-default/d620ba2a-4acc-4c1a-ad0c-87c052143f7d
  10. Placement of new icons on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Placement of new icons on the desktop: Hello everyone, I have an issue that has been nagging me for years now and through multiple versions of Windows and am hoping someone can help me finally figure it out. I use my desktop as my workspace - in addition to shortcuts it also contains files and folders I am...