Windows 10: Desktop Randomly Shutting Down and Turning On

Discus and support Desktop Randomly Shutting Down and Turning On in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Not sure if this is a hardware issue or not. On my gaming PC for just a couple of days I've started noticing it. Sometimes the shutting down screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/redneckN3RD, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Desktop Randomly Shutting Down and Turning On

Not sure if this is a hardware issue or not. On my gaming PC for just a couple of days I've started noticing it.

Sometimes the shutting down screen will just appear and the desktop proceeds to shut down (though sometimes I can cancel it if an app is preventing shutdown just by clicking the cancel button that appears).

Now here's the weird part. I decided to just leave it off for a while and it suddenly turns back on and boots to Windows with no issue. A little bit later, it turns off again like before, and this cycle continues until I eventually just switch off the power supply after it shutting down.

I started to investigate later on, and I had an option to do a startup repair, which took about 30 minutes to complete. Once it was done, the computer actually didn't have any issues for the next several hours until the above issues started again. Currently, the machine is sitting unplugged and I'm not sure where to begin. I partially think it could be a Windows issue just because I had the option to cancel the shutdown a few times.

Any thoughts on how to correct this issue?

submitted by /u/redneckN3RD
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/redneckN3RD, Jan 7, 2020

2. Laptop randomly shuts down after latest Windows 10 update

Since the latest update of Windows 10 my computer decides to randomly shut down after every couple of minutes. First the screen goes black, then the sounds stops and after quite a while the power also goes down.

Obviously I though of cleaning the fan with a big vacuum, as suggested on My Windows 10 Computer Randomly Shuts Down . However, after doing this, the shutting down goes even quicker. I cannot even properly log-on before the shutdown takes place.

What should be my next step?

Ps. The computer is quited aged (roughly 3 - 4 years). The battery is dead enough such that I always need to have it plugged in an outlet. It might just be "done for" but I'm hoping to revive it for just a little bit more.

Robin Kramer, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Matt7701 Win User
    Computer Randomly Shutting Down.

So for some reason my desktop just shuts down randomly. It would just turn off without warning. I wouldn't have a clue why. Can someone help

Matt7701, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Desktop Randomly Shutting Down and Turning On

HP Pavilion 15 randomly shuts down incorrectly if fast startup enabled

I've just updated an HP Pavilion 15 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (Home 64 bit). If fast startup is enabled, the laptop freezes at the very least step of the shutting down process. The shutting down process goes like this:

1. First you click on shut down
    2. The shut down screen appears
    3. The screen turns off and then the fan starts to spin at high speed
    4. After 4-5 seconds, the fan stops
    5. The laptop is completely turned off, no lights are turned on (in most of PC's)

Well, my problem is that randomly, the Pavilion 15 freezes after step 4 has been completed, with the light of the ON/OFF button turned on forever. Sometimes it turns off correctly, but many other times this happens. If I disable the fast startup, this won't happen and it will always turn off correctly.

What can I do?
    How is it that it's random?

I've tested this with no apps running on background, so that can't be the reason, besides, no apps or programs can freeze the system after the step 4 has been completed, since they are all shut down after step 1.

Also, the fast startup option was activated when I was using Windows 8.1 and never had a single problem with this laptop.

rambomhtri, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Desktop Randomly Shutting Down and Turning On

1. Desktop Randomly Shutting Down and Turning On - Similar Threads - Desktop Randomly Shutting

2. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  3. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  4. Random Shut Downs

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Shut Downs: Hello, I recently built a PC(System Builder - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB VENTUS XS OC, F2 MicroATX Mini Tower - PCPartPicker) about a little over a month ago and recently I have been having a weird problem. First off, when building it there is a...
  5. Random "Shutting down.."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random "Shutting down..": Hi guys! I'm seekig for help I have a few computers having the same issue.. They randomly shut down.. (with the Shutting down screen) There are no temperature issues.. what should I try to do? (the pc's are publicly used) submitted by /u/xnevenx [link] [comments]...
  6. Win 10 Desktop shuts down randomly

Win 10 Desktop shuts down randomly: Hey guys, So a couple months ago my I got a VR headset and when playing games VR games on my computer it would shut off randomly. I figured that my computer was at some points just clipping and restarting. It didn't happen with all VR games and didn't happen all the time....
  7. Random shut-down

Random shut-down: My PC keeps shutting down frequently (Windows 10 - temperature OK) with an ID41 kernel power critical error. So far I have been able to find no help at all. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-shut-down/c98828d8-f931-4eb1-9531-9cb8dc10341a
  8. Random Shutting down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random Shutting down: Recently, my laptop was turning off while charging and now, unplugged, it turns off immediately after turning on with a full battery. It's an Asus laptop that I've only had for about a year and only recently started having issues....
  9. Randomly shuts down

Randomly shuts down: Hello, this problem started since I bought my laptop (already has windows 10 on it) It shuts down A LOT. The blue screen shows up sometimes but it just restart w/out the blue screen thing randomly! I've been playing Sims 4 and it's really annoying because I have to save...
  10. Desktop randomly shuts down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop randomly shuts down: I've been having this issue, where my computer will randomly lose power without warning(or at least that's what it acts like). I'm not sure what is causing it, but I tested the power supply with a multimeter and the voltage is well above the needed amount. when it happens, my...