Windows 10: Desktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended?

Discus and support Desktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [Windows 10 Pro Version: 20H2 (Build 19042.746)] Hello, I need someone to tell me if it is just me or if there actually IS a very slight delay when:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by woodenpixel, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Desktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended?

[Windows 10 Pro Version: 20H2 (Build 19042.746)]

Hello,

I need someone to tell me if it is just me or if there actually IS a very slight delay when:

- hitting enter after renaming a file on the desktop or
    - dropping a dragged file on the desktop

If it is intended behaviour, I must have missed it all these years.

What I think might be the cause:
    I was experimenting with Symlinks/Junctions/Hardlinks because I wanted to free up space on the system drive by offloading it onto a bigger non-system drive. I created quite a few of them (always one at a time existed) via CMD (mklink "EDesktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended? :pathSymlink_File.txt" "F:Real_File.txt") to see what works. At first I mixed up Link <-> Target a few times and I always removed the links via "right click -> delete"

Can I actually mess something up by NOT using the CMD to remove links/junctions?

What I did to find the possible issue:
    - Did a clean reboot with custom services disabled via msconfig. It didn't change anything. The only thing I observed in the Task Manager was "explorer.exe" going to the top of the detailed task list (sorted by CPU) when I dropped a file
    - Did an In-Place repair via the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. I kept all personal Apps and Data. It didn't help.

Now, before doing a complete windows re-installation with complete app removal, I would like to know if I should consider this behaviour an alarming issue or not.

Thank you so much for any help!

:)

woodenpixel, Feb 7, 2021
  2. checks2 Win User

Windows 10 - Desktop redirection issue

Any one come across an issue with Win10 redirected folders/desktop where once applied via GPO when a user tries to 'drag and drop' a folder/icon or rename a folder on the 'redirected' desktop there seems to be a slight delay?

Similar GPO's applied to a Win7 device, no apparent delay

checks2, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    My Downloads Renamed Itself to Desktop

Hi Matt,

To rename the folder back to Downloads, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Open Local Disk (CDesktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended? :).
    • Open Users.
    • Open the folder of the user profile you are experiencing this issue in.
    • Rename the second Desktop icon you see as Downloads.
    • Close File Explorer then reopen it.
    • Check if the Downloads folder has been renamed successfully.

Let us know if this resolves the problem.

Ruz San, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Johan45 Win User

Desktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended?

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Desktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended?

1. Desktop rename/drop file slight delay - issue or intended? - Similar Threads - Desktop rename drop

2. File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files: Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag...
  3. Renaming/save file issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming/save file issue: Im currently doing a mass rename of approximately 30k+ files, sometimes (feels random) it will follow the folder I saved to its save location. (ex: all my files are labeled with Z so they are at the bottom and when I rename hit enter (double enter due to same name mainly...
  4. File Titling/Renaming Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Titling/Renaming Issue: I have recently encountered an issue when downloading images and PDFs from websites. I have tried Edge and Chrome; both browsers are up to date, as is Windows 10 Pro. It will not allow me to save anything over 15 characters long. Further, if I adjust the file name to 15...
  5. Slight delay at beginning of Bluetooth audio

Slight delay at beginning of Bluetooth audio: So when I get notifications the audio will take a second to kick in if nothing else is playing. I'll get a notification and I won't hear the beginning of the sound but I'll hear the middle and end. I know what lag is and I don't have the lag. I can play video games and stuff...
  6. Renaming Desktops

Renaming Desktops: Like most students, I'm doing all online this quarter and I plan to separate out my stuff for classes into separate desktops for organization. I have no issue making separate desktops via the Windows button + tab but I am unable to rename them. The online guides have said to...
  7. Renaming desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming desktop: At some point my desktop got renamed Temporary Burn Folder. How do I change it back to Desktop? Right clicking does not allow change name. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-desktop/9ad7eafb-534d-4db9-bad3-3def12c3bf88
  8. Start Menu Slight Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Slight Issue: Has anyone else had an issue with start menu where you search for a particular program that runs when you click it but the sidebar of the start menu stays open? It doesn't do it all the time but its a bit of a bug bare really. I've had a look online and similar issues seem to...
  9. File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Rename - name select delay interrupts edit: Hi, When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the midst of editing it. It occurs anytime from 1-2s after I start editing up to 10s or more. I typically am using the back arrow...
  10. Slight Windows 10 issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Slight Windows 10 issue: I upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then did a clean install. In both instances I had and have a slight annoyance. When I open a program or window then open a second window within that window it appears underneath instead of on top. Does anyone have ideas? Thanks, 17483