Windows 10: Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

Discus and support Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have no idea what happened, but now, my desktop has NO icons, and if I click on the Start Button, what I get is the desktop theme with the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

I have no idea what happened, but now, my desktop has NO icons, and if I click on the Start Button, what I get is the desktop theme with the start button menus, etc., superimposed on the theme.

Just found something else: I clicked on the "minimize to desktop button" while writing this, which took me to the `false desktop,' and to return to this forum I had to click on the Start Button; clicking on the task bar icon for Firefox does nothing, nor does doing that for other applications either. In addition, the sqaure at the top right-hand corner for applications, that should reduce the size of the open window no longer does anything.

A short while later: I can get back to Firefox, etc., from the task bar icons, but have not quite figured out just how many clicks, etc., make it work.

Windows Key + D no longer does anything. It is as though I don't really have a desktop. (I have tried the shortcut keys to cycle through virtual desktops, which does not show me anything.

More discoveries: If I minimize an application to the task bar, then click on the start button, I can then return to the app by a single click on its task bar icon. When I click on the start button, it now always opens with just the Life and Play displays, no left-hand column. (I don't remember the name of those two `boxes.') I have to click on the start button's top-left icon to bring up the column with apps, access to Settings, etc.

Good Grief: Don't ask why I happened to look at the Settings module that includes an option for Tablet Mode. Suffice it to say that changing that from on to off, a setting when I had not turned it on, has restored matters to where they were before I rebooted.

Truly odd, along with just about everything else. Perhaps my odd experience will help anyone else who encounters what I met.

:)

Not Myself, Jul 31, 2015

2. Windows 10 Update

original problem with Win 10 update remains. I have ruin it again, it goes through all the motions of doing the update, but after final reboot it is still Windows 8.1. nothing changed. Issue is still current.

BrianHunt_821, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update

original problem with Win 10 update remains. I have ruin it again, it goes through all the motions of doing the update, but after final reboot it is still Windows 8.1. nothing changed. Issue is still current.

BrianHunt_821, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

Hi, Just read your thread on desktop icons disappearing after re-booting. I've just upgraded to windows 10 and had a similar problem - all previous desktop icons disappeared. Decided to do what you did - ie look in settings to see if tablet mode was on/off. It was on so turned it off. Bingo! Desktop icons reappeared. I also could not previously minimise a window down. That's solved as well. Thanks a lot!!

casemoree15, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

1. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems - Similar Threads - Desktop Ruined Reboot

2. Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons rearranging after explorer restarts/reboot: Hi, My desktop icons keep rearranging after explorer restarts/reboots. My icons look like this after I arrange them [IMG] However, after I restart explorer/ reboot the computer, my icons look like this [ATTACH] The icons change their position Auto arrange icons is...
  3. Problem with the desktop after updating.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with the desktop after updating.: Hello, I express my problem and I hope you can advise me to solve it: Since my computer with Windows 10 made the update I see a black screen before logging into Windows 10....
  4. Windows10 - last update ruined Hello - and other applications

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows10 - last update ruined Hello - and other applications: I tried all suggested ways published on the forum Since the latest upgrade to 1809 - 17763.348, I cannot access to my Surface Studio with face recognition anymore. Tried to delete and reinstall it - it does not even react - stays still - tried to find the thru the device...
  5. Desktop Reboot Problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Reboot Problem.: Hello, I'm Test Engineer and I'm having a problem with one of our production equipments. I hope you could guide me in order to solve this issue as soon as possible since it is impacting our production. Our production equipment occasionnally reboots showing a blue screen...
  6. Problem with Bluetooth failing each time after reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with Bluetooth failing each time after reboot: Since upgrading my ASUS Zenbook to Win 10 three weeks ago, I've been having trouble with bluetooth. Basically, every time I turn off the computer (log off), when I reboot I get just one driver showing up and a "code 43" error (under device manager) and none of the usual...
  7. Windows 10, every other reboot ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10, every other reboot ?: I've installed Windows 10 just fine, with the latest Nvidia Win 10 driver, however when I reboot my system nothing works, not the start menu, not the apps, they do nothing, can't shut down except for a hard shutdown, after the hard shutdown the start menu and apps work fine...
  8. Desktop after reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop after reboot: I keep several apps open on my desktop. Also have them in the Startup folder so they will run each time windows starts. Whenever win-10 restarts they do run but are scattered all over the desktop and are different size than before the reboot. In both XP and win-7 they...
  9. Windows 10 has completely ruined my Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 has completely ruined my Desktop: Okay so my first experience with windows 10 was a free upgrade from 8.1 on my laptop. It upgraded quickly and has worked with no issues, and I quickly fell in love in windows 10's new features and look as I do most of my school and side work on my laptop. Because of this,...
  10. Desktop Problems (But Fixes After Reboot!)

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Problems (But Fixes After Reboot!): Hi all, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this doesn't make sense!! I've recently upgraded my Windows 10 to the new 1511 version and after a while I've noticed a few issues with my desktop in that all the icons disappear when it boots up and also my Dropbox doesn't...