Windows 10: Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

Discus and support Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have no idea what happened, but now, my desktop has NO icons, and if I click on the Start Button, what I get is the desktop theme with the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

I have no idea what happened, but now, my desktop has NO icons, and if I click on the Start Button, what I get is the desktop theme with the start button menus, etc., superimposed on the theme.

Just found something else: I clicked on the "minimize to desktop button" while writing this, which took me to the `false desktop,' and to return to this forum I had to click on the Start Button; clicking on the task bar icon for Firefox does nothing, nor does doing that for other applications either. In addition, the sqaure at the top right-hand corner for applications, that should reduce the size of the open window no longer does anything.

A short while later: I can get back to Firefox, etc., from the task bar icons, but have not quite figured out just how many clicks, etc., make it work.

Windows Key + D no longer does anything. It is as though I don't really have a desktop. (I have tried the shortcut keys to cycle through virtual desktops, which does not show me anything.

More discoveries: If I minimize an application to the task bar, then click on the start button, I can then return to the app by a single click on its task bar icon. When I click on the start button, it now always opens with just the Life and Play displays, no left-hand column. (I don't remember the name of those two `boxes.') I have to click on the start button's top-left icon to bring up the column with apps, access to Settings, etc.

Good Grief: Don't ask why I happened to look at the Settings module that includes an option for Tablet Mode. Suffice it to say that changing that from on to off, a setting when I had not turned it on, has restored matters to where they were before I rebooted.

Truly odd, along with just about everything else. Perhaps my odd experience will help anyone else who encounters what I met.

:)

Not Myself, Jul 31, 2015

2. Windows 10 Update

original problem with Win 10 update remains. I have ruin it again, it goes through all the motions of doing the update, but after final reboot it is still Windows 8.1. nothing changed. Issue is still current.

BrianHunt_821, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update

original problem with Win 10 update remains. I have ruin it again, it goes through all the motions of doing the update, but after final reboot it is still Windows 8.1. nothing changed. Issue is still current.

BrianHunt_821, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

Hi, Just read your thread on desktop icons disappearing after re-booting. I've just upgraded to windows 10 and had a similar problem - all previous desktop icons disappeared. Decided to do what you did - ie look in settings to see if tablet mode was on/off. It was on so turned it off. Bingo! Desktop icons reappeared. I also could not previously minimise a window down. That's solved as well. Thanks a lot!!

casemoree15, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

1. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems - Similar Threads - Desktop Ruined Reboot

2. Desktop rebooted after benchmark test.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop rebooted after benchmark test.: Ok gang. I built my System in January. You can view my specs. And I bought a MSI RTX 3080 OC on Saturday. I reformatted the drive over the weekend. Been running rock solid. Today I ran Heaven Benchmark. It completed the benchmark. As soon as I exited out of it. My system did...
  3. Desktop items moving after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop items moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  4. Desktop icons moving after reboot

Desktop icons moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  5. Desktop items moving after reboot

Desktop items moving after reboot: A user has two monitors, one 1920 res primary and the other 1280x1040 secondary. He moves all his icons to where he wants on the desktop and then after a reboot they all move back to the way they were. I have made sure Windows 10 is full up to date and on the latest...
  6. HDR ruined my desktop

HDR ruined my desktop: Ok so this is not the first time I have had this issue but its the first time it has persisted a restore. For some unknown cause, enabling HDR in windows warps all images on my computer. It almost looks like the gamma has been jacked way up. Ok no biggy, just use hdr for...
  7. Multiple problems after rebooting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple problems after rebooting: Hello guys! Today, after a long session of bdo, I ve went outside to take some fresh air and to let my laptop cool off a little bit. After rebooting my laptop I have noticed that my Wi Fi is not working anymore. My first thought was to go through settings - network and...
  8. Desktop Reboot Problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Reboot Problem.: Hello, I'm Test Engineer and I'm having a problem with one of our production equipments. I hope you could guide me in order to solve this issue as soon as possible since it is impacting our production. Our production equipment occasionnally reboots showing a blue screen...
  9. Desktop after reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop after reboot: I keep several apps open on my desktop. Also have them in the Startup folder so they will run each time windows starts. Whenever win-10 restarts they do run but are scattered all over the desktop and are different size than before the reboot. In both XP and win-7 they...
  10. Desktop Problems (But Fixes After Reboot!)

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Problems (But Fixes After Reboot!): Hi all, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this doesn't make sense!! I've recently upgraded my Windows 10 to the new 1511 version and after a while I've noticed a few issues with my desktop in that all the icons disappear when it boots up and also my Dropbox doesn't...